User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why is it an exercise in frustration? I’ve never sorted my pistol brass by headstamp
View Quote

It's all fun and games until you get a batch of range pickup cases where 10% or so have crimped primers.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I pull out a couple of specific brands that don't work for me or my handguns, but I don't sort by head stamp.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I've actually bent a decapping pin because of crimped primers.  Several lessons learned from that experience.  There are some brands that have stepped cases, or a shelf inside the case.  There have been reports of the cases separating at the shelf and getting stuck in the chamber. From what I've read, it's almost always from loading them hotter than normal.  I have enough brass that I put those to the side but have never personally had an issue with them.  You really aren't out anything except a little time when you inspect your brass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I really don't understand the bad mouthing of Hornady One Shot lube on rifle cases.
Have used it on literally tens of thousands of once fired LC range pickups,
and have never stuck a case.
For all calibers I load, wet tumble with SS pins after decap, 2 second squirt of blue Dawn dish soap and a 9mm or 45ACP case full of Lemishine.
Dry on towel overnight, then spread single layer on cookie sheet and light spray of One Shot.
Store in gallon sized Ziploc bags until time to load.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's all fun and games until you get a batch of range pickup cases where 10% or so have crimped primers.
View Quote

Aaah.   Thought it was going to more along the lines of "ten percent of it is 380"
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Assuming you are not a champion bullseye shooter.

1. Tumble
2. Throw on progressive that will go from remove primer to seating bullet.
3. Shoot ammo
View Quote

This right here... I burn 30k-40k rounds of 9mm per year and that’s all I do. Clean primer pockets don’t do anything for you.

It always cracks me up when people who wet tumble insist that it doesn’t take any more time over dry tumbling and then say they decap, then wet tumble, then load.

Why add steps for no reason?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
9mm needs case lube?
View Quote

No, but everything runs more smoothly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not when I’m running them through a 1050 with a Mark 7 digital auto drive.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I really don't understand the bad mouthing of Hornady One Shot lube on rifle cases.
Have used it on literally tens of thousands of once fired LC range pickups,
and have never stuck a case.
For all calibers I load, wet tumble with SS pins after decap, 2 second squirt of blue Dawn dish soap and a 9mm or 45ACP case full of Lemishine.
Dry on towel overnight, then spread single layer on cookie sheet and light spray of One Shot.
Store in gallon sized Ziploc bags until time to load.
View Quote

See, I'm just the opposite.  I tumble in walnut few hours.  Decap/size. Retumble 6-7hrs. Prime and then store. So when i put them in the press its just powder n bullet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

See, I'm just the opposite.  I tumble in walnut few hours.  Decap/size. Retumble 6-7hrs. Prime and then store. So when i put them in the press its just powder n bullet.
View Quote

Are you loading on a progressive?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It always cracks me up when people who wet tumble insist that it doesn’t take any more time over dry tumbling and then say they decap, then wet tumble, then load.

View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

An old lee 3 stage.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An old lee 3 stage.
View Quote

So why are you creating unnecessary steps?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Wet tumble with Dawn and Lemishine
With SS pins if you want super bling
Without pins if you want quicker and easier.  Out side is mostly as blingy, inside is clean of dirt and crud but with a carbon layer.

Now here is the issue with wet tumbling, it can clean the cases so well they have a tendency to stick on my Dillon flare/powder dump die.  It wasn't too bad when using SS pins, but on my last 5 gallon bucket of brass I didn't use the pins cause it worked well enough for 9mm brass.  The left over carbon residue on the inside of the case really made the cases stick on the flare die.

I have found that walnut tumbling for and hour puts a fine coat of dust on the inside of the case mouth that dry lubes and make the process much easier.

I have read using car wax n wash in the wet tumbler helps as it lightly lubes the case.  I'll try that next 5 gal bucket of brass cleaning.

Once clean, run though the Dillon...Done

IMO just dry tumbling on its own doesn't clean crusted on dirt out of the inside of the case well.  The dirt is an issue of you are using picked up range brass that has sat in the dirt for a few weather cycles.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm starting to give in a little and let the bling slide and adding a step by running all through 9mm through my Lee sizing die in a single stage press: absolute fit in an LWD barrel(common choke point).
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have read using car wax n wash in the wet tumbler helps as it lightly lubes the case.  I'll try that next 5 gal bucket of brass cleaning.
View Quote

The Armor All Wash & Wax works really well. I stopped using Dawn and switched to it years ago. As a bonus the really light wax it leaves prevents tarnishing. It helps to rinse with cold water - I think a hot water rinse leaves less wax and reduces the benefit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not when I’m running them through a 1050 with a Mark 7 digital auto drive.
View Quote

And that's all fun and games until the odd .380 case slips through, or a stepped case, or Amerc trash.

There's no substitute for individually inspecting and culling cases if you want all the ammo you make to be of high quality.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And that's all fun and games until the odd .380 case slips through, or a stepped case, or Amerc trash.

There's no substitute for individually inspecting and culling cases if you want all the ammo you make to be of high quality.
View Quote

I stand there and watch them be fed onto the plate... pretty easy to just press the Stop button and shitcan it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I typically do it because I don't like decapping on my Dillon, honestly. I try to keep it as clean as possible.

And it's not a pinch point for me, I don't lose any productivity while it's in the wet tumbler. The girlfriend tends to decap on my single stage while I'm on the Dillon, and we have thousands and thousands of pieces of brass that are in either the decap stage, wet tumble stage, drying stage, and ready to reload stage. The numbers essentially stay the same as often as we shoot, so it's not like I'm losing time while it's getting extra clean. They're so damn pretty when they come out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I typically do it because I don't like decapping on my Dillon, honestly. I try to keep it as clean as possible.

And it's not a pinch point for me, I don't lose any productivity while it's in the wet tumbler. The girlfriend tends to decap on my single stage while I'm on the Dillon, and we have thousands and thousands of pieces of brass that are in either the decap stage, wet tumble stage, drying stage, and ready to reload stage. The numbers essentially stay the same as often as we shoot, so it's not like I'm losing time while it's getting extra clean. They're so damn pretty when they come out.
View Quote

If you’re adding steps, you’re losing productivity.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you’re adding steps, you’re losing productivity.
View Quote

Trust me, there are plenty of people who post to this sector who aren't into productivity.  

I tumble and run the bases with my 550.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top