Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I got to shoot a BUNCH of this reloaded ammo today.  It worked GREAT!

There was not a sticky bolt lift in any of the rounds fired.

Primers seemed to indicate reasonable pressures (if you believe in reading primers).

Velocities were decent.

Accuracy was decent (10's and X's at 600 yards using a scope).

The new Peterson brass worked very well.  

The old Tubb brass worked very well.

What's not to like?

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
This is one measure of the performance of my new load.  I did more than this but it's late here.

The plot shows the elevation setting for the scope knob at various distances to the target.  

The black triangles are measured values from last weekend when zeroing the load/scope/rifle.  I got zeroes out as far as 1,000 yards.  

Shooting (and reloading) is fun.

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool that this exercise has given you enjoyment and good results.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Indeed, this has been fun!  It started off out of concern but ended on a real high note.  I was super-happy with this wildcat cartridge when I first got it.  Then, I grew slightly concerned about the pressures.  Now, with this new load, with its lower pressures, I am very happy once again.  

Here's another tidbit from the new load - bullet drop out to one mile.

Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
All this data is for the 6mm, 107 gr Sierra MatchKing.   I also have some 115 DTAC bullets that look to be even slicker than these SMK's.  They are next.

Here's other set of data, this is from two different chronographs.  

For all my optical chronography, I have chosen to place the chronograph out at 50 yards.  The idea was to eliminate all the muzzle blast.  I have been very successful since making that change.  

With a target right next to the chronograph, set up is very easy.  One person can do it and you get it right the first time.  

This method all but eliminates the chance of accidentally shooting the chronograph due to the height difference between your scope and your barrel.

The SHOT MARKER target system reads velocity at the target.  The 600 yard data is from SHOT MARKER.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Finally!

I got to shoot in a 600 yard mid-range match today.  I fired 66 rounds using MAGNUM powder.  They were just fine, as good or even better than what they replaced - no sticky bolt lift, went where I pointed them.  

I am happy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, there's a lot of truth in that.  

Happiness is transitory.

I have a box of 500 115 gr DTAC bullets sitting on my bench and whole batch of new Peterson brass awaiting loading.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top