User Panel

Site Notices
Lee APP tips and tricks (Page 2 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By montyw42:

I was having the same issue. It was almost as if the spring did not have enough tension to pull the shuttle in that last bit. I put a piece of wood on the upper part of the spring to shim it and put a little more pressure on the spring.

https://i.imgur.com/75B7Pyi.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/75B7Pyi.jpg

This along with the coat hanger wire inside the spring and an abrupt movement at the end seemed to solve the issue. Have not had any problem with the coat hanger bending and still have not gotten any mineral oil so have not tried that yet, but  have not needed it after making these changes. Also have not had to modify the jaws or shell holder yet.
View Quote

I tried something similar (small wood piece) and then ended up removing it when setting up a different cartridge on the press. With the 223 case, the shuttle wasn't moving far enough back to pick up the next cartridge, but it worked with 9mm and 40SW. I'll try the coat hanger wire trick to see if I can tell a difference on my setup.  

I'm going to set up 38/357 next.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By montyw42:

I was having the same issue. It was almost as if the spring did not have enough tension to pull the shuttle in that last bit. I put a piece of wood on the upper part of the spring to shim it and put a little more pressure on the spring.

https://i.imgur.com/75B7Pyi.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/75B7Pyi.jpg

This along with the coat hanger wire inside the spring and an abrupt movement at the end seemed to solve the issue. Have not had any problem with the coat hanger bending and still have not gotten any mineral oil so have not tried that yet, but  have not needed it after making these changes. Also have not had to modify the jaws or shell holder yet.
View Quote

The spring on my APP is rotated 180 degrees from yours and has a 1/4 turn in it per Lee's instructions (IIRC, may have been a note on this forum or brianenos.com).  It works fine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Could you post a pic of your spring? I looked through the thread and could not find a good pic of the spring that is wrong.
Worked over the shell holder many times without much luck trying to get 10mm to index.

Towards the end I turned the shellholder around to the unmodified side and using the pop at the end of the stroke got
pretty good results.

I believe the spring is not enough to get proper indexing.
View Quote

Shuttles with top drawn springs have always been problematic. Is there any way you can move the spring to the bottom of the shuttle underneath the shuttle carrier? Make it like the shuttle primer feed on a 750 or LNL AP. I think if you were able to move the top of the spring a little further right, on the other side of the eye hook could make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dcat:

The spring on my APP is rotated 180 degrees from yours and has a 1/4 turn in it per Lee's instructions (IIRC, may have been a note on this forum or brianenos.com).  It works fine.
View Quote

The hook side of the spring should be on top. The small channel in the aluminum casting allows for the hook to mount without bending the hook on the spring. The spring hangs down while mounting. The full circle end of the spring should go to the shuttle.

I believe Lee is referring to attaching the spring, it needs to be rotated a quarter turn to attach it.  Lee video of attaching the spring to the shuttle below.

https://vimeo.com/391088802/6003710ad7
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 5:14:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#7]
38/357 cases

I've got about 3k to process and started with 1k that were dirty first because those always challenge this press the most. When I say dirty, these were picked up off the dirt and felt like they had lube still on them when fired. I didn't remove the lube years ago. Dirt was stuck to the cases and at the base where it feeds into the shell holder.  

I was having an issue getting the primers to push out fully and discovered a 25 cal case had been stuck in a 38 case and the deprimer pin had pierced completely through the primer and stuck it on the end of the decapping pin. The Squirreldaddy decapping pin was a good upgrade to the Lee universal decapping die.

This is the first Xpress shell holder I've experienced that didn't need any rework. Shells glide through very easily except for a few with expanded bases which were probably some hot loads.

Adjusting the rear shuttle screw to open the jaws wider for the case rim is necessary.    

I tried setting the case height to 357 and feed both 357/38 together didn't work out to good. Had to set for 38 height and use a small screw driver to extract the inevitable 357 that would cause a stoppage. Easy to do and didn't slow things up very much. I'll reset to 357 height and feed them through separately.

I'll run the clean cases tonight to see how they feed.

Edited to add follow up:

Had a couple thousand 38/357 that I tumbled in walnut years ago so they were much cleaner than the first thousand.

The biggest issue I was having was the case would not fall straight down onto the transfer bar and stay within the jaws. This video demonstrates the problem and a fix. What seems to happen with this fix is that the case travels just short of center. This issue is easier to deal with than cases falling out of the shuttle mechanism.

APP decapping 38/357 with Lee universal decap die
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks OP, this is very valuable. I just got done prepping 1k 9mm on a single stage and was at the point that something had to give

I only do 223 and 9mm in any quantity and this looks perfect for me. I've got a lathe and 3d printer so should be able to do some of the fixes and upgrades "in-house". Looking forward to this thing showing up so I can start tinkering.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
All you have to do to make sure the shuttle gets the case fully into the shell holder is give the handle a little speed at the last second you raise the handle. Almost a little flick if that makes sense. And a spray tube the redones, that comes with a wd40 can is a better choice that the wire to put in the spring. It stiffens it and will still bend if something happens so it will not break off the clip on the shuttle. And if you want to make it just a little more stiff you put a piece of shrink tube over the spring and shrink it down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Did another thousand or so 38spc tonight and think I figured out why the stick in the spring works for some. It would reduce the amount of travel the shuttle moves to the left.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to adjust the height of the die.

Noticed the cases were hitting the jaws too much with the die height I was using. The shuttle was positioned left of center of the case dropping from the feeder tube.

Lowering the die moves the connection point of the spring higher... same as using a piece of wood in the top of the spring. Screwing the die further down moves the shuttle to the right. After adjusting the die down the shuttle is positioned directly under the next case in the tube.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Thanks OP, this is very valuable. I just got done prepping 1k 9mm on a single stage and was at the point that something had to give

I only do 223 and 9mm in any quantity and this looks perfect for me. I've got a lathe and 3d printer so should be able to do some of the fixes and upgrades "in-house". Looking forward to this thing showing up so I can start tinkering.
View Quote

Glad it has value. Yeah, I know what you mean. I've spent hours on a rock chucker doing high volume tasks.

Once you get around to it, I'd be interested to hear how the 3D printed jaws work out.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 4:11:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I have my Lee decapping die adjusted all the way down, the case webs raises the decapping slightly.

That's where I lock the die down.
View Quote

I removed the lock ring that comes on the decapping die so it could be screwed down further into the breech lock bushing. You can see the lock ring in the upper picture. The lower picture doesn't have the lock ring, just the breach lock bushing. The die can be screwed down probably another 1/2" than what's shown in the bottom pic before loosing threads to keep it attached.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 4:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#15]
Looked at the pic again, I see what you mean.

The decapping stem must be adjusted a lot higher than what I'm doing.

My decapping stem is bottoming out on the inside of the case web, so that can't go any lower.

So you are saying if the die is lower, it somehow helps with the feeding?

Not having any issue with the decapping part.

I'm missing something?
View Quote

I was just saying if you need to adjust the location of the shuttle (left or right) when it picks up a case, adjusting the height of the die is how to do that. You want the case to fall in the center of the open jaws.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:30:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#17]
My cases are not falling into the center of the jaws when coming out of the case feeder.

They straighten out on the way to the decapping die and if shuttle goes all the way, are centered with the decapping pin.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the decapping die? Or lowering case feeder?

Sorry, just not following.
View Quote

Lowering the decapping die, moves the shuttle further to the left at the point it picks up a case.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 4:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#19]
I don't see how that will make a difference, but will give it a try.
View Quote

You may not need to make any change if the cases are dropping to the shuttle properly. I only brought it up as a different method of adjusting the shuttle position versus using the piece of wood in the upper connection of the spring.

I'll make a video on adjusting the shuttle position relative to the drop tube by adjusting die height and add a link to this thread.

Edit: Added a short video in #15 of the OP explaining the adjustment.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:00:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad to do it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered one of these specifically for bulge busting 9mm and .40. Picked up an Inline Fab plate, and roller handle.

Got the bulge buster kit and several extra breech lock adapters and a 9 MAK die. I'm thinking about the PEX tube trick, filling off my Dillon CF, then inverting the tube to feed the cases mouth down. Anyone seen this done?
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ChevelleDave:
I just ordered one of these specifically for bulge busting 9mm and .40. Picked up an Inline Fab plate, and roller handle.

Got the bulge buster kit and several extra breech lock adapters and a 9 MAK die. I'm thinking about the PEX tube trick, filling off my Dillon CF, then inverting the tube to feed the cases mouth down. Anyone seen this done?
View Quote

Feedback from Lee on the 9 MAK die was the carbide insert in the die often splits when bulge busting so its not recommended. I also read about this on other forums. I've run a few hundred 9mm through the 9 mak die on the APP and haven't had this issue yet.  

Flipping the case tube sounds like a PITA. I've been able to push through the case base first on 40SW without any issues. I contacted LEE to see if they sell just the push rod from the APP bulge busting kit so I could turn it down to fit inside a 9mm case and push them through base first. That's when I learned about the carbide insert splitting on folks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I've read mixed results on the 9mm MAK die issue, seems lubing them well is key.  Also read alot about them needing to enter the FCD mouth first, I'll experiment with both.

As far as inverting the tube idea, there are other factors involved that make it much better then the alternative.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ChevelleDave:
I've read mixed results on the 9mm MAK die issue, seems lubing them well is key.  Also read alot about them needing to enter the FCD mouth first, I'll experiment with both.

As far as inverting the tube idea, there are other factors involved that make it much better then the alternative.
View Quote

If you figure out a way to easily feed case mouth first, I'd definitely be interested to hear about it. I haven't read any down sides to base first except Lee says to do it that way in their instructions. If you have a link to this information I'd appreciate it.

I always lube the case well and FL size prior to bulge busting. A Lee service guy told me in a correspondence I was doing it the correct way. It definitely reduces the force necessary to push the case through.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#28]
45ACP decapping with Lee Universal Die

The larger case diameter required a wire to be inserted into the spring to move the shuttle mechanism further to the left so a case would reliably drop off the shelf onto the transfer bar. I used a suggestion from montyw42 to insert a coat hanger wire inside the spring.

The wire was cut and filed flat on each end so it was exactly 3.750" long. This removes the play at the ends of the spring where they hook to the shuttle and at the body of the press. After this was done the shuttle traveled far enough to the left to drop the next case reliably. I tried a plastic tube from a spray can first as another member suggested, but it wasn't stiff enough and the spring would arch reducing it's overall length.

Here's a video that shows the issue and the fix.

Setting up 45 ACP with Lee Universal decapping die on Lee APP

I replaced the decapping rod on the Universal decap die with a Squirrel Daddy hardened recap rod which has a tapered pin. I found that the taper causes the pin to wedge in the flash hole of this caliber and can be bothersome to extract. The flash hole must be longer/narrower than the other calibers I've used this decapper on. Perhaps a standard straight pin would be better for this caliber. Lubing the pin helped for 5-6 cases then it would start binding again.

The primers were frozen in several of the cases and the SD pin would tear the cup head off the primer with the sides still in the primer pocket. Sometimes the primer cup was torn but not completely detached and the shell holder had to be removed from the base to remove the partially attached primer cup from the case just to get the shell out.

Nothing had to be done to the shell holder. Cases fed through it fine.

Edit: I used a new shuttle assembly to see how untouched jaws would work with the 45. Worked just fine. I did notice the new shuttle assembly doesn't rock to the side as much as the one that came with the APP. Perhaps after an estimated 20+k cases it starts to wear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I MAY, I say that carefully, have a really cool way to bulge bust 9MM on the APP. I need to talk to some people and see if I can get a modified product. I wanna talk to them first before I say anything.

It could be a great idea, or I could be really dumb. I've done both in My life, one way more then the other.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:17:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#31]
https://i.imgur.com/Kf1Uk3ll.jpg

Cut a piece of copper wire to go into spring. No coathangers.

The piece of heat shrink I was using on the ruler.

That piece wouldn't fit into the spring, so made another of smaller diameter.

Now for my question, what's the easy way to attach the spring to the shuttle with a wire inside?
View Quote

I should have said a thin coat hanger wire. I used calipers to measure the length since its important not to make it too long. Otherwise it will be stretching the spring when installed.

You push the wire up with your finger and stretch the spring at the same time. The plastic hook on the shuttle holds the wire up in the spring while attaching it. Definitely takes some technique. My hand is probably in the way in the video. I've taken off the shrink wrap tube now the wire is installed.

I sized about a thousand wet tumbled 45acp tonight and the cases fed almost flawlessly. The wire definitely helped.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#33]
https://i.imgur.com/Kf1Uk3ll.jpg

Cut a piece of copper wire to go into spring. No coathangers.

The piece of heat shrink I was using on the ruler.

That piece wouldn't fit into the spring, so made another of smaller diameter.

Now for my question, what's the easy way to attach the spring to the shuttle with a wire inside?
View Quote

I removed the spring from the press, installed the wire then reinstalled the bottom of the spring. Then grabbed the upper hook on the spring with needle nose pliers and installed it. This way you don't have to bend the spring or wire as much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok, thanks.

Was reading a review on Midway and a guy claimed the feeding problems could be fixed
by tightening the phillips screw on the bottom. Could have been more specific.

Bottom of the shuttle had a screw. Hmm
View Quote

I found a note on Lee's site IIRC that said to slightly loosen the screw on the bottom of the track if having feeding issues. Didn't help for me though.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: N1150x] [#36]
FYI tall dies like the FW Arms decapper don't fit this press.

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-w-arms-auto-center-decapper/

2.5 year Edit.

I purchased the Lee APP Roller Handle linked below.

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/lee-app-roller-handle-upgrade/

I screwed the FW arms gen 1 die into the upper portion of the press until the bottom of the black die body was flush with the bottom portion of the top of the press (the brass centering "skirt" is fully exposed).

in this configuration 1 + 1/16" of clearance is present between the roller handle and the upper portion of the die. For my hands this is enough to work the press without scraping knuckles.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By N1150x:
FYI tall dies like the FW Arms decapper don't fit this press.

https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/f-w-arms-auto-center-decapper/
View Quote

Odd timing, I just got my new decapping die and it doesn't fit .    

I was going to see if someone, with the Lee roller handle, could tell me how much room they have between the handle and the press.

I have an Inline roller handle, and really like it, but would get the Lee version if it would work with the die.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 6:39:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#38]
Originally Posted By thenning:

Odd timing, I just got my new decapping die and it doesn't fit .    

I was going to see if someone, with the Lee roller handle, could tell me how much room they have between the handle and the press.

I have an Inline roller handle, and really like it, but would get the Lee version if it would work with the die.
View Quote

About 6.25" from the top of the quick change bushing to the bottom of the handle. Camera angle is deceiving.
You could probably add extensions on each side to increase the height of the handle further if necessary.  

More I use the roller handle, the more I like it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#39]
They must have had the shop gorilla install the handle screws on my app.

Went to change out to the roller handle and the left screw snapped as soon as put some torque on it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

About 6.25" from the top of the quick change bushing to the bottom of the handle. Camera angle is deceiving.
You could probably add extensions on each side to increase the height of the handle further if necessary.  

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50720916261_a5b61ee51d_z.jpg

More I use the roller handle, the more I like it.
View Quote

Thanks!   Looks like I just need 5", so hopefully enough left over for hand clearance, it's worth a shot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:12:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#42]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

Went to change out to the roller handle and the left screw snapped as soon as put some torque on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

Lee will make it right if you contact them. 2 year warranty. https://leeprecision.com/satisfaction-guaranteed.html

https://leeprecision.com/product-returns.html

Originally Posted By thenning:

Thanks!   Looks like I just need 5", so hopefully enough left over for hand clearance, it's worth a shot.

Hope it works out!
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 5:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: boman250] [#43]
So, I have been loving and hating this press since I got it. I am only using it for bullet sizing, I have other presses for brass.

Today, I had some success. The Lee 105gr SWC is the preferred bullet for my 38 SPC lever action. But, the Lee APP does not agree with it.

With no riser plate, these bullets tend to tilt over themselves and hit the sizer crooked. Tightening the jaws only stops the bullets from entering fully and binding up the press.

With the smallest riser, the bullets are just sub flush and the next bullet will snag on the riser and sling shot the bullet in the jaws across the room.

So, I took out my pocket knife and cut a small camfer into the hole and bam, bullets feed, slide up the ramp and no more sling shotting my bullets.

How the 105gr bullets sit under the smallest riser.
Attachment Attached File

Small ramp at the back of the hole for the tip of the next bullet to ramp up and out of the way.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#45]
So, for those of you who have had this press for a while, I load 9mm, 45, 5.56, 300BO, 308 and 6.5C. Two of those share a common case holder obviously.

Is it worth buying this press SOLELY for the purposes of depriming? I currently do it on my Hornady AP and have to clean the case feeder of crap to keep it running when depriming. The APP is $80 on Midway and I am very tempted to fo at the moment....
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I pretty much bought it for decapping.  Got tired of cleaning my press.  All the mess goes into the bottle, its pretty slick, and not having to do it one at a time is sweet.  I also have the swage kit now, doing that with the feeder is nice too.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 1:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#47]
Originally Posted By cucamelsmd15:
So, for those of you who have had this press for a while, I load 9mm, 45, 5.56, 300BO, 308 and 6.5C. Two of those share a common case holder obviously.

Is it worth buying this press SOLELY for the purposes of depriming? I currently do it on my Hornady AP and have to clean the case feeder of crap to keep it running when depriming. The APP is $80 on Midway and I am very tempted to fo at the moment....
View Quote

When you buy the APP Deluxe, make sure to also buy the Universal case feeder and collator at the same time. They are the 4 tube mechanism and funnel. Both those are about $35 extra. Those really are what makes the APP worthwhile.

I've put about 20k cases through the APP so far. Haven't tried 308, 300blk yet, but have decapped 9mm, 40SW, 45acp, 38/357, 556 and 7.62x39. After running dirty cases through it, just pull the collator and tubes off the press and wash them in the sink with degreaser soap/water. I use degreaser to remove the lanolin/lube along with the dirt. Very easy to maintain.

The original purpose was to decap only, but I've also sized 9mm, 40SW and 45acp, then bulge bust with it. Limited use bulge busting 9mm with a Mak die... another story.  

I use Lee's bench plate to mount it and swap with a single stage press mounted on the same base plate. Just mention this in case space is an issue on your bench.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Looking hard at one of these for decap and bullet sizing. Will someone message me when you have completed the engineering for Lee and it's good to go?
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought mine with the intent to size powder coated cast boolits... and hoped that the primer pocket swage process would produce acceptable results.

If the boolit sizing worked out - I could go back to using my Star sizer with lube... though the number of specific boolit designs I still want to use lube on has dwindled greatly.
Page / 9
Lee APP tips and tricks (Page 2 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top