Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Lee Case Lube diluted with 90% alcohol.  I mix 1oz Lee Lube with 10oz of alky in a spray bottle.  50 5.56 in a quart zip-loc bag, spray liberally, roll a bit, then spread out to dry.  There is usually enough lube left in the bag to do another 50, lather, rinse, repeat.  I then use an eyeliner brush to get inside the case necks with the lube(some miss this step, and get a stuck case), and run while the neck is still wet/not quite dry.  After running a few rounds, I simply roll them on a towel to remove the leftover case lube.  Lee is lanolin based, so leaving it on adds a layer of protection during storage.  I've yet to have a stuck case in the chamber because of it.

If I do have one get stuck, I have this on standby.  Frankford Arsenal Platinum Stuck Case Remover.  It slides onto the press ram in place of yoru shell holder, and works with most presses.

Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for that link! Looks like people seem really happy with that. I'll see if can find liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol around town.

One thing I didn't see in that link, does that lube need to be cleaned off before loading?
View Quote
I sourced my lanolin locally from a grocery store chain called Fresh Thyme Farmers Market.  I just looked on their website for a store locator and they do have several in Indiana.

The 99% isopropyl alcohol was from this:

Which was from the automotive section inside Wally World.

Then I bought a spray bottle.

I followed the mixing directions in that other thread/link.

I use big zip lock bags.  I place my brass inside the bag.  Give it a few sprays....then seal the bag up and shake it.  Then open the bag up ....spray a few more times....seal the bag up....shake it again.  Depending on how wet the brass looks through the bag, I might do it a third time.

Then I dump the brass into my casefeeder's hopper and wait about ten minutes.

Then I run that batch through my 650's prep toolhead with the Dillon trimmer.

Then I wet tumble the brass with the SS pins.  That knocks any burrs off the case mouths and gets rid of the lube.

Dry.  Then run through the load toolhead on my 650.

EDIT:  back before I had the Dillon trimmer, I would trim the lubed and resized cases.

Then I would load the still lubed cases.

It probably is kinda frowned upon here, but I would tumble my loaded rounds in dry walnut media.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used Lyman and RCBS case lube on a flat case prep pad for years without issue.

For 223 I only roll 1 in 3 in the case lube before sizing.

For 50 bmg I use the same but drop some water on the pad as well to thin it down a bit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Case-Lube-for-cheap-bastards/42-305174/

Mark me down as another who thinks Hornady one shot is awful, and ARFCOM Dillon style case lube is wonderful.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have used Lyman and RCBS case lube on a flat case prep pad for years without issue.
View Quote
When the Cheap bastards case lube isn't doing the job I always fall back on this ^

Grab a handful of cases and roll them on the pad all at one time. Push those cases into the lid of the RCBS pad and grab a second handful and do the same. Goes faster that you'd expect.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Just wanted to update with a thank you to everyone who suggested the DIY stuff. That stuff is amazing. In all the years I've reloaded (around 7-8 years) I had no idea sizing could be that easy. It's actually made it enjoyable. I sized roughly 600pcs of .223 yesterday and it was a breeze.

Sincerely, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ve been reloading for 20 years now. I’ve never used anything BUT One-Shot. I’ve never had a stuck case. One-Shot isn’t the problem, using One-Shot improperly is the problem.
View Quote
This
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top