Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 4:51:56 PM EDT
I had a surprisingly good group with a newer barrel today with PMC Xtac 62 grain steel core/M855 (7/8 shots in 1.2 moa). I want to work up some loads with some good 62 grain bullets to see if anything comes of it. What are some suggestions for match quality 62 grain bullets? I'm not seeing any obvious choices out there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there some particular reason that you want 62gr?  

For AR's with twist rate of at least 9 in 1 the 69gr Sierra BTHP is pretty much a gold standard for accuracy. It works well in faster twists too.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the 62gr Hornady BTHP that Midsouth carries.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at the 62gr Hornady BTHP that Midsouth carries.
View Quote
@AS556 If you use this bullet, have you found any particular powder and charge that seems to work well with it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@AS556 If you use this bullet, have you found any particular powder and charge that seems to work well with it?
View Quote
25.5gr TAC got good velocity but only one of my rifles grouped it well, a 1/7 20".

Hard to say exactly how accurate as that rifle just has irons and I dont have a good bag to shoot off.

Hard to go wrong with TAC though and the bullet is only about .10c each.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there some particular reason that you want 62gr?  

For AR's with twist rate of at least 9 in 1 the 69gr Sierra BTHP is pretty much a gold standard for accuracy. It works well in faster twists too.

Motor
View Quote
Also, in my limited experience with three rifles, while the 50 yard groups between xtac and two different 69smk loads were not identical for POI, they did overlap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top