Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 1:01:36 AM EDT
I have used them in the past for the individual Lee Classic loaders that I used when younger, they were a cheap way for a young broke kid to make shells to plink and hunt with, always had pretty good luck with them.

So today I am running around and stumbled upon a Lee Powder Dipper kit for a dollar so I bought it, of course it has a lot of dippers of various sizes in it with a sliding chart for all kinds of powder, thought it would kind of use full for playing around with.

Anybody using one of these kits?  Are they accurate or a crap shoot?

I have scales and droppers and such, just like everybody, but figured for a buck,  it would at least be a nice conversation piece on the reloading bench.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I might if I found them for a dollar. I used them when I first started reloading yet always used a scale and dumped in in there to see if my loads were what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
If you get a good technique they can be okay. I mostly use them to get close to my desired weight on a scale then trickle in the rest. Sometimes I do just scoop it in there and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. I found that it works perfectly for dipping powder coating out of its original container and into my shake and bake container.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you get a good technique they can be okay. I mostly use them to get close to my desired weight on a scale then trickle in the rest. Sometimes I do just scoop it in there and call it good.
View Quote
That's what I do. Use one or two, then use the powder trickler for the rest on the scale.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
In .357, I loaded from a custom little dipper for years.  It was tuned for my Red Dot load with SWC's.  It was as accurate as weighing each the charge.  

Its a volume measuring device, like many manual powder dispensers.  Volume based powder measures have been used very successfully for years by the Benchrest crowd.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I've found them to be very handy -- especially for working with black powder and the attendant fillers (like Fluvel).

Don't use them for smokeless powder, but I used to.  All powder measures that attach to machines are volumetric.  Same principle.  You're gonna get very close to the same results as any powder thrower will give you.  The only way to improve on the situation is to weigh each charge, of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
My .40 dies and .308 dies came with a scoop.  Used the scoop once to get me within weight range and trickled the rest.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the older set of dippers (bought in the 70's) and a newer set with the metric measurements.  I will use them from time to time when I want to experiment with a different powder or bullet.  Consistent technique is the key to accuracy with the dippers.  I have two Uniflow powder measures (one set for rifle, and one set for pistol) which I use for bulk reloading.   It is easier to pull out the box and read the chart and use the correct dipper when I want to try something different with 10 or 20 cases.

When I first got into reloading in the mid-70's, Lee loaders were all that was available (that I could afford), so using dippers was not and is still not a big deal to me. I never try to create max loads, my reloading is pretty plain vanilla. 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So today I am running around and stumbled upon a Lee Powder Dipper kit...

Anybody using one of these kits?  Are they accurate or a crap shoot?
View Quote

Yes, I have a set of the Lee Powder Dippers.  

They can be as accurate and consistent as your technique using them.
    Dispense powder into a cup or similar container.  
    Shake it and agitate it to ensure it is laying in the container uniformly.  
    Draw the dipper through the powder.  
    Tap your hand to settle the contents.  
    Use a knife or index card to level the powder with the rim of the scoop's mouth.  

I load on a single stage press and typically throw my loads light and trickle them up to the desired weight.  I will use the scoops for small batches when it doesn't make sense to take the time to fiddle with the powder measure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
They are good for stick and a trickle afterwards on a scale.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I find them handy when loading a small batch of rounds or when I'm reloading Lyman slugs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the dippers when I started using IMR 4064 powder...didn't like all the crunching in my measure.

I really like the dippers for making small batches of match ammo.

Call me silly, but there's something nostalgic about scooping powder out of an old coffee cup.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
As others have said, scoop and trickle can be very accurate and fast.  Excellent for small batches.

In fact, I trickle with the scoop and not a dedicated 'trickler', by tapping it with my index finger.

Slower than my 650, quicker than my Chargemaster, but much more tiring than either.

I had a set, gave it to my FIL, missed it much more than I thought, bought another set.

One of Lee's better products and well worth the $10-12 they cost per set.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes. I found that it works perfectly for dipping powder coating out of its original container and into my shake and bake container.

Motor
View Quote
^
This is really the only practical use I have for them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, a "get close" measure before the trickler.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As others have said, scoop and trickle can be very accurate and fast.  Excellent for small batches.

In fact, I trickle with the scoop and not a dedicated 'trickler', by tapping it with my index finger.

Slower than my 650, quicker than my Chargemaster, but much more tiring than either.

I had a set, gave it to my FIL, missed it much more than I thought, bought another set.

One of Lee's better products and well worth the $10-12 they cost per set.
View Quote
I find myself going back and forth between the tap method you speak of and the trickle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top