Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 10:39:44 PM EDT
Has anyone read this book? I've heard that it's one of the best reads as it pertains to reloading and was thinking about picking up a copy.

Chad
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan.   I've been loading since 1992.  I've used every kind of equipment made, by virtually ALL manufacturers...  In my experience, Lee is virtually the bottom of the barrel.  And I NEVER trust any data published by Lee:  I had played around some with a LeeLoader I picked up cheap.  I didn't regard it as much of a tool, more a toy.  Using the exact load and recipe published by Lee with the kit, and following their recommendations exactly, I consistently got squib loads that would stick in the barrel of a 3" revolver.  Never again.....

The only people who think Lee makes the "best" in any particular loading category are the Lee marketing department snake oil salesmen.  Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I would put it in the same category as most of the other major reloading manuals. It has a lot of good how-to information on the fundamentals of reloading techniques, safety stuff, do's and don'ts etc. It also has a lot of load data for specific cartridges that you will not find in manuals geared towards that particular company's products. As an example, you will find non-Hornady component combinations in the Lee manual, whereas the Hornady manual only lists Hornady bullets.

The previous statement is meant as an example only. I do not intend to go dig out my Hornady manual to verify this. I am illustrating the concept. Lee makes reloading TOOLS and equipment, not bullets, brass etc. They do make bullet molds but that is as far as they go TO MY CURRENT KNOWLEDGE.

In that context, IMHO the Lee Manual is a worthwhile addition to any reloader's library. And I have used many of their products like the Factory crimping dies, bullet molds, etc. Even have a Pro 1000 set up as a dedicated 9mm progressive loader. As it is a three station press, I only use it case mouth flaring, powder charging, bullet seating/crimping. Works a charm for me. I have a dedicated universal depriming press, and do all my case prep off press. For 9mm blaster and target ammo it works great.

Get the manual.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one. When I bought it I got their light duty "C" frame press for free. Or maybe it was buy the press and get the manual for free I honestly can't recall which.

I actually use the press more than I do the book.

It's not totally worthless though, just close. Ok that's a little sarcasm.

The data kinda sucks especially the cast bullet data but as mentioned above there is a good deal of useful information in it.

So to sum it up: If you are looking to add it to your collection I'd say sure, why not.

If you are looking to use it as a primary source of reloading information with a focus on loading data you will be much better off buying just about any other manual.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't realize that it was a reloading manual. I honestly thought that it was just a book about reloading. I'm glad that I asked.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to be honest, after realizing that the Lee Manual is an actual manual with load data and not just a book about reloading, this must be one of those questions/threads that pissed people off. Even I think that it was a stupid question after looking back.

For some reason I truly though that it was a book/manual about reloading and not an actual Reloading Manual.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have to be honest, after realizing that the Lee Manual is an actual manual with load data and not just a book about reloading, this must be one of those questions/threads that pissed people off. Even I think that it was a stupid question after looking back.

For some reason I truly though that it was a book/manual about reloading and not an actual Reloading Manual.
View Quote
With regards to what you said... If you are interested in picking up one book to decide if reloading is for you, the Lee book is a good one.

Also, many recommend The ABCs of Reloading
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it was dumb question at all and didn't piss anyone off.

There may be how to books that don't also include data but most do.

Motor
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I have several reloading manuals but thought that it was just a book.

Manuals:
Lyman 49th
Lyman 50th
Lyman Cast
Speer
Sierra
Hornady
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's good that you didn't buy a copy, you would likely be ticked off when you found the text part shot through with references to LEE equipment, instead of generic terms.
View Quote
No doubt! Now I can use that $15 for something more important.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's good that you didn't buy a copy, you would likely be ticked off when you found the text part shot through with references to LEE equipment, instead of generic terms.
View Quote
Yeah, it really pisses me off to have to wade through my Hornady or Sierra or Berger manuals that only list load data using their brand of bullets
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard that LEE data is from other sources

...that they don't test or work up any loads

it's just the free data from powder manufacturers etc

for that reason, I've never bought one

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one. When I bought it I got their light duty "C" frame press for free. Or maybe it was buy the press and get the manual for free I honestly can't recall which.

I actually use the press more than I do the book.

It's not totally worthless though, just close. Ok that's a little sarcasm.

The data kinda sucks especially the cast bullet data but as mentioned above there is a good deal of useful information in it.

So to sum it up: If you are looking to add it to your collection I'd say sure, why not.

If you are looking to use it as a primary source of reloading information with a focus on loading data you will be much better off buying just about any other manual.

Motor
View Quote
I think I got through the same press/ manual deal.

Load information as already stated is very generic, and Lee's philosophy on the process is you don't need alot of fancy gear to reload.  That bears some truth, however any process can be improved upon with the right hardware upgrades.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#16]
The Lee manual is a good general reference book for comparison purposes, but the data is from many sources and bullets are often not identified. Not really a load manual as such and certainly shouldn't be used by a beginner.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I load for some not so popular calibers like 7.5x54 MAS. I don't recall if it was for this particular caliber or not but remember reading a note in my Lee manual stating that the data for this particular caliber and instance, whatever it was, I'll look for it later, was not actually tested. It was formulated comparing other similar capacity and caliber cartridges.

If I came on here and wrote that I did that to come up with data for whatever,  the thread would probably end up getting locked because of people calling me unpleasant things.

Like AeroE eluded too also I was turned off by the author's arrogance. I technical publication is no place for arrogance.

As mentioned above for a company who sells casting equipment the cast bullet data is simply awful. The data is based on the performance level of the caliber. The start load listed for 158gr SWC in .357 would require hard cast or equivalent type of bullet.

Someone new would not be aware of this. If you look at data for example in a Hornady manual you will find a much wider range of data using the same powder and most importantly a much lower start load. One that will not turn your pistol barrel into a lead lined smooth bore.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With regards to what you said... If you are interested in picking up one book to decide if reloading is for you, the Lee book is a good one.

Also, many recommend The ABCs of Reloading
View Quote
+1, Someone loaned me their old copy of ABCs when I first started reloading some years ago.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a book on reloading and not a reloading manual, I recommend this one:

http://www.safaripress.com/metallic-cartridge-handloading-sc-l.html

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
It was the first book I read for reloading.

Like a good library, the Lee book will be one of many.

Most of my reloading has been online and ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It was the first book I read for reloading.

Like a good library, the Lee book will be one of many.

Most of my reloading has been online and ARFCOM.
View Quote
Right there with you. Got the book in 2000 when I first started reloading on a Lee anniversary kit
 Later bought the Lyman manual. Discovered the reloading section of arfcom in 2007. Been here ever since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top