Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 9:30:17 AM EDT
Does anyone have pet loads for the 38 snubby load for a Taurus M85 lightweight which they claim will handle +p

Just looking for practice loads and maybe a 125 self defence load.

I have checked the reloading manuals,but just seeing if anyone has any experience with reloading for the 38 in a snubby.

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#1]
You looking for low recoil, full power, +p?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually all would be great(light,full power and sd loads), I have reloaded for a full size 38 years ago.

We also reloaded for a 2 inch Ladysmith and from what I remember the really light loads had bullets stuck in the barrel !!

Just wanted to see if anyone has loaded for one of the Model 85 ultra light's 38.

or similar snubbys.

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes I do. Same gun. I used a Winchester 125gr JHP. I'll post the details later.

Motor
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had decent success with 148gr Precision Delta WC's and W231.

I've also loaded 158gr SWC over W231 with decent results. Others prefer Bullseye, but I had a large amount of W231 on hand.  There is a lot of loading info out there for .38 Special, as it's been around a very long time.

ETA: this was from a S&W 442 Pro J-Frame snub, the group was fired from ~10 yards off a sandbag while testing loads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have basically two .38 Special loads I use.

3.8 grains of WW-231 with 158 grain lead semi-wadcutters. This is my full power .38 Special ammo. 850 fps from my 4" barrels.

2.7 grains of Bullseye or 2.6 grains of TiteGroup and 148 grain target wadcutter bullets seated flush with the case mouth.

Both are accurate and safe, I consider the 158 grain load to be maximum.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Taurus model 85

125gr JHP

Bullseye 4.2gr

CCI-500  

Of course I have a bunch of cast loads too but for jacketed this was my standard load. Recoil with the 125gr was not a problem and accuracy was as good as the guy shooting it.  

I once shot a pesty groundhog with it. It was about 10 yards away broadside I aimed like you would on a deer. It was really un-dramatic, pow, dead no further movement.  

Motor
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone have pet loads for the 38 snubby ... looking for practice loads and maybe a 125 self defence load.
View Quote

I load on a single stage press and I throw each powder charge light and trickle it up to the desired weight, so if you're in a hurry, what I do probably isn't for you.  I use Hi-Skor 800X in 38 Special and only shoot jacketed hollow points.  

125 JHP starts with 5.8 grains of 800X.  You'll probably start to see pressure signs somewhere around 7.0 grains.  Hornady #9 lists 7.5 grains as maximum.

158 JHP starts with 4.7 grains of 800X.  You'll probably start to see pressure signs somewhere around 6.0 grains.  Hornady #9 lists 6.5 grains as maximum.

While asking other people what they do can provide useful confirmation, proper load development does not consist of asking people on an internet forum what charge they use.  It begins with a Starting Load and then incrementally increasing the charge until you either get something that works or you start to see signs of excessive pressure.  What works in my gun may not work the same in yours.  Remember, when I just throw a powder and charge weight out there you have no way of knowing whether I'm a handloader with 40+ years experience who has never had a failure or a sadist hoping to give JohnInPA the new nickname of "One Eye John".
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#8]
"I load on a single stage press and I throw each powder charge light and trickle it up to the desired weight"

Even flake powders can be thrown in a good measure to sufficient repeatability for loads like that.

I loaded for 148 HBWC in .38 Special cases for years using a small rotor Uniflow with a micrometer head.

The micrometer head allowed for other loads in cartridges without having to spend extra time fiddling with adjustments.

I could return to a setting and it would be fine after throwing about ten loads to check.

Since changing rotors would lose the 'zero' for the micrometer I keep separate Uniflows with large and small rotors and micrometer heads on each measure.

My reloading log includes what the settings used each time are.

Easy to go back to a load.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think it matters much if the firearm is a snubby or a 16" lever gun. I have loaded for both and fired all loads out of both.

I use Unique for 38 spc. around 4 grains under a 98g PCC gives me less than 1000 FPS out of the 16" and has almost no recoil. It shot great in the 2" snubby but I didn't chrono it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
No probem !!! I always check posted loads with 1.Powder manufacurers 2. load manuals 3.Start low and test

Just had a problem with loading for a 2 inch Ladysmith a long time ago and can not find my loading log.

Some of the starting loads were getting stuck in the barrel (one load I made just barely made it out of the barrel)

So I wanted to get "opinions" and favoites from you folks out there

Thanks

John
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#11]
3.0 gr  CLAYS  125gr coated from the usual suspects ( bayou, MBC, SNS, etc. )

nice clean burning, mild practice load.

Unique, hs-6, power pistol, CFE-p will all work well for hot loads

My CCW load is the new Federal HST, or 125+p golden sabers.

HST's looking like wadcutters....

practice practice....

5 draws from nemesis rig carry, and hits on steel, each under one second.

S&W 642 draw sub one seconds, five in a row on steel
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I load std 148 gr.double end wadcutters I cast myself & powdercoat. I don't use hollow based wadcutters because they have a velocity limitation, if you push them too hard the skirt can stick in your barrel while the solid nose skips merrily out the barrel, leaving you with a bore obstruction. I don't use lightweight bullets because you have to push most hollowpoints pretty hard to get expansion. Lightweight bullets generally have trouble penetrating anyway, and when the expend energy expanding, or trying to expand, penetration suffers even more. So I rely on bullet design to do the work for me. A solid cast wadcutter at 800+ fps should do nicely for training, and for social encounters if needed. You can also load solid wadcutters in 357 magnum and a whole new world of energy transfer opens up for you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I cast either a RCBS 125 spire point bullet (9mm mold) or a RCBS 150 grain double ended WC. My standard load is 5 grains of Unique. I have used it for over 30 years in a variety of J frames (most recently a 642-2) without any problems. Both shoot close enough to point of aim to keep me happy. When I want to shoot over 15 yards I break out the 4" python I bought back in 1978 for $150  (bulged barrel, easily replaced).  I bought a couple of used uniflow powder measures off of ebay and I leave one at that powder setting.  I check every six months or so to make sure the adjustment hasn't changed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
3.0 gr Red Dot, 158 gr Cast bullet, either home cast or bought.

Great little plinker, I've shot hundreds if not thousands through my .357 LCR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
2.5 gr Clays, 125 gr SNS TC coated. Mrs. AZNemesis's pet competition load for almost 20 years. She also uses it for practice in her S&W 642 CCW. Very nice accurate load, cheap to shoot.

Hornady Critical Defense 110 gr +P  is her carry load.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#16]
5.0 W231 and a gas-checked 158 lead SWCHP to duplicate the old 'FBI load'.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWCHP Standard Pressure (still pretty stout)...or +P (heavy hammer).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top