Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2017 8:05:45 PM EDT
My trusty old beam balance scale broke ( hand me down from my brother after he got a better scale - he used it for about 30 years and I have used it for 20. Can’t complain!)
Looking to replace it with a basic ( under $100) digital but reviews of digital scale
Performance are all over the map! What have you used that is easy to use and accurate without costing too much?
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an RCBS but it wanders a little . I still use a beam scale for important loads.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Pact Digital Precision since 1994 when Pact was the 1st to introduce them for reloaders. I highly recommend their scale. I do think with the scales I've seen is that you may want to increase your maximum of $100 up to $150 or more. I also have the Gem Pro 250 which has also been trouble free. It measures to the second decimal place but is touchy. Lots of people seem to like this scale. But if I had to choose only one of my electronic scales it'd be the Pact Precision. I hear good reports on the Dillon electronic scale. Since 1994 I've only had one issue with my Pact. Two kittens climbed on my bench and I believe stomped on it. Sent it back for warranty and it's been good to go for many more years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I cannot recommend PACT for anything but that is not based on the performance of their scale.

I would recommend a Dillon D-Terminator.  I had one for 20 years and it was fine.  It drifted a little during use but a simple touch of a button would re-zero it.  It costs more than $100.  

There are other electronic scales that are better than the Dillon but they also cost a lot more (~$250 or more, like the GemPro or other, better scales).

If you absolutely, positively have to stay under $100, but a beam balance not an electronic scale.

Which ever you end up with, be sure to buy (or make) one or more check weights and USE THEM.  You need something which can be used over and over to ensure the displayed weight is what it should be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My trusty old beam balance scale broke
View Quote

What  brand was it?

If it was an RCBS or Dillon, they will likely repair or replace it for you.

I will second the Dillon digital.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been using a cheap ($30 maybe) Frankfort Arsenal scale bought off Amazon with no problems. It came with weights and they have always weighed correctly whenever I start the reloading process.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
im using gempro-250 for my measuring
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I use this one from Franklin Arsenal.  Probably the same one Cjones is talking about.

Yea, I know its cheap, but it has always worked.  Been using it for 3 years now and never missed a lick.  Check it occasionally with the test weight and against my RCBS 10-10.  Never been off as long as I keep the ceiling fan above it turned off.

When this one dies, I'm getting another one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to mention the Frankford Arsenal one.  When I was looking around, I noticed it was inexpensive and had tons of positive reviews with a handful of poor ones.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had an RCBS 750 for about ten years.  It has worked great.  I trust it completely.  It will drift sometimes for the first few rounds, but stays rock-solid after warming up.  If anything happened to this scale, I'd buy another one just like it.  It has been a good tool for me!!!   I did check it against a balance scale when I first got it, but have no concerns about it's accuracy.  At any rate, it is consistent and we've build lots of <1.0 MOA 1K yard ammo with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use this one from Franklin Arsenal. . . .

. . . Never been off as long as I keep the ceiling fan above it turned off.

When this one dies, I'm getting another one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43482/scale-315488.JPG
View Quote
Interesting. I was just researching replacements for my Frankfort Arsenal because it tends to wander. But I use it under a ceiling fan.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]
fan or ac in the apartment I'm in I've had this issue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I broke my Gempro 250, so I bought this cheapo $30 milligram scale off amazon.  The Gempro would read to 0.02gr, and the $30 cheapo reads to 0.01gr.  It wanders like the Gempro (and all other load cell scales), but I made a check weight out of a small pill bottle filled with enough powder to match the weight of my powder pan plus my desired powder charge, and I compare each charge against the check weight to get accuracy down to the kernel.  My latest hand loads shot over the magneto speed have had 5-shot SDs of less than 5 fps.

It has other benefits over the Gempro as well. Calibrating it seems a lot simpler. It stays on grains after power-off and/or recalibration, while the Gempro always defaults back to milligrams. It is also much more responsive to trickling powder than the Gempro.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J88S8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used the RCBS 750 for a number of years and have had no problems.  It just needs to warm up.

I bought an RCBS 1500 a few years ago, but it is still in the box somewhere since I just use the 750.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RCBS with plug in adapter... can't remember the model but it was around 100 dollars.  Always has worked great.
View Quote
Sounds like mine. Every time I turn it on I set it with check weights.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy another Mechanical Scale. The Dillon  Eliminator is best value!  You always need a mechanical scale to back and double check any electronic scale.  

Gem Pro 250 has a better warranty than Dillon.

So many people forget that Fluorescent Lights, Cell Phones, other things can and do effect scales.  Warm up is important, too.  So many of us live in a world of instant gratification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top