Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2017 4:21:07 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have been reloading for a year or so and it completely consumes most of my free time when I'm not shooting. Like most, it's my least favorite part of the process so I want to make it easier!

Now I will say I pretty much only shoot precision long range and don't even own a progressive. Is there a power/automated tool/station out there that can make life easier than what I am doing now?

Currently I use a RCBS 3 way hand trimmer. It does trim, chamfer and deburr all in one sweep but I'm manually cranking on that lever. Well when I do 200-500 rounds at a time it wears me out.

Sooo is there something out there that can make this any easier, while providing me with the consistency of my current process? And because I hate it... budget unlimited
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Trim, chamfer and deburr + no budget = Giraud
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
+1

Just make sure your sizing consistently or you will see a little length variation.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have new rcbs powered  3 way set up . Was kinda speedy  and spendy .????
I did about 10000 308  two 5 gal buckets of 556  and a 5 gal bucket of 45 over a weekend .
Made  a longer  arm for the feed lever and had to watch for brass buildup in the 3way trimmer

RCBC universal case prep center 90370
two year warranty was difficult to find when it first came out   No regrets !  
Spins a neck brush  and primer tools on top
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If my budget was unlimited, I'd have a Giraud Power trimmer, but I agree $350 or so is a lot to pay for the addition of a motor and a mount.

I have a Trim-It 2 which is very similar to the Giraud Tri-Way in design and function, good unit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I know that there are better ones out there, but I actually really like my Lyman Case Prep Center. I got it when it was on sale and it works great.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you decide to go crazy with a new system, have you tried taking the crank handle off the RCBS lathe trimmer and chucking a cordless or corded drill to it?

This is how I do my precision stuff. I hate cranking the handle. I just use my cheap Ryobi cordless drill. But I really like the 3 way trimmer.,
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A great tool, I have one. But they are about $500 now.

Giraud also sells a Giraud Tri way trimmer for about $100 that you chuck in a drill or drill press. What I would suggest.

It trims, deburs and chamfers all at once.

http://www.giraudtool.com/index.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A great tool, I have one. But they are about $500 now.

Giraud also sells a Giraud Tri way trimmer for about $100 that you chuck in a drill or drill press. What I would suggest.

It trims, deburs and chamfers all at once.

http://www.giraudtool.com/index.html
I have the Tri way not only do you get to trim brass, but you can deswage brass on it plus drill holes if needed. Everyone needs a small bench drill press.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Before you decide to go crazy with a new system, have you tried taking the crank handle off the RCBS lathe trimmer and chucking a cordless or corded drill to it?

This is how I do my precision stuff. I hate cranking the handle. I just use my cheap Ryobi cordless drill. But I really like the 3 way trimmer.,
View Quote
Well I have kinda thought about that because I like the 3 way trimmer too. Also I'm not too clear on how the Giraud works. I guess I'd have to set a book up next to the trimmer to get the drill on the same height.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have three tri-way trimmers.  I mount them in a benchtop drill press.  I love them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Giraud Tri Way in a corded variable speed drill running fast is what I use.    

Giraud complete if money is no object.

Hard to beat the Giraud.

I love the tri-ways, they work great for me.

Caution however .... with any of these drill mounted or machine driven trimmers that you manually feed with brass, your hands are the weak point.     Part of the key IMO is to make sure you are running the Giraud fast enough (if providing your own power), and letting the blade do the work.  You shouldn't have to force or death grip anything .... but even remembering that,  I typically don't run more than 300-500 per session/day depending on how much is being cut, or my fingers will get sore.    I don't need to solve for that, I can stay ahead of my shooting at this pace.

Only reason I mentioned this is because the OP was looking for some hand relief.       I still recommend either of the Giraud trimmers, but to be fair, this may not solve the OP's hand fatigue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Hornady . It's $500.00 but it will also do the primer pockets all in one run.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well I have kinda thought about that because I like the 3 way trimmer too. Also I'm not too clear on how the Giraud works. I guess I'd have to set a book up next to the trimmer to get the drill on the same height.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just let the drill hang. My setup below. Excuse the mess.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem with most prep stations is the fact that trimming and chamfering are still two separate steps, and that's after you trim.

Giraud Power Trimmer, Tri-Way, Trim-It 2, etc. are incredible time and labor savers because in 2-3 seconds per case you've trimmed, chamfered and deburred.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I chucked my Giraud Tri-Way in a Harbor Freight buffer motor, and then built an L-shaped stand with rubber feet so I can operate either vertically or horizontally. Added a foot switch, and it is just heaven!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the Lyman Case Prep Center and I've been very happy with it.  Its still involves multiple operations, but it definitely speeds things up a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top