Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
I use 2 buckets, one with a dry media separator and no magnets.

I can post a link to the thread if you want.
View Quote

I read all 23 pages as a homework assignment https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Wet-tumbling-with-SS-media-lots-of-pics-New-info-second-post-10-02-2015-/42-344832/

Some of it sunk in, but without going through the process hands on some of it escaped me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
doing second FART run this morning.

1 gallon of 45ACP, 1/4 tsp citric acid, another squirt of Dawn. Raining so running the tumbler in my garage.  Will do a full 3 hour run
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
When I decided to get back into reloading this past spring, I knew nothing about wet tumbling, so I bought a dry tumbling setup that worked well for me before.

Then I started seeing posts about this setup and bought a FART setup.

I haven't cleaned any brass yet because I'm sill loading new & used/cleaned brass.

Wet tumbling looks to be more intensive.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 8:54:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#6]
Second FART Session

Went smoother since I planned things out this time and read the instructions.  No buckets were used, none needed because of the optional screen for the  FART and the clever design of the FA rotary separator

Started by removing one of the lids, used a towel so I can see lost pins easily.  Ran for 3 full hours this time, 4 qts of brass, squirt of Dawn, 1/4 tsp of citric acid

Attachment Attached File

These pins are programmed to escape at any opportunity, just removing the lid resulted in some loose pins

Attachment Attached File

Put a screen on the top end, then after this, the bottom end, this is where all the black water ran down the driveway. Note there's some pins stuck to the outside of the rotary tub.  Anything wet, pins will stick to.  I used my transfer magnet and magnet on a stick to wrangle in these wayward pins

Attachment Attached File

The screens make it easy to rinse the brass and pins before doing the media separator.  Having a laundry tub in the garage is a bonus as well.  I used the same sink to fill the bottom of the media separator with clean water per instructions

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:03:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#7]
Second FART Session continued...

This is where the tub was sitting, more pins@^^@%@@!

Attachment Attached File

Ran two loads through the separator vs taking a chance of overloading it

Attachment Attached File

I dumped the brass from the separator onto a towel, scanned with a magnet, then filled the lid of the separator.  The lid has a screened drain hole.
When the lid was full with all the brass I carried the brass to the dehydrator and dried the brass

Attachment Attached File

The tub was still wet, wet means pins are sticking to it.  The transfer magnet wouldn't fit in the tub opening, but the magnet on the stick did, so swept the inside about 5 times to make sure I got all the remaining pins and put them in the bottom of the media separator with the bulk of the pins.

The bottom tub has a little screen so most of the water can be drained without the pins pouring out

Attachment Attached File

Used the transfer magnet to move the pins from the media separator tub, now drained, to the towel to dry, took about 8 transfers

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 9:07:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#8]
Second FART Session continued...

Results, 9 random cases.  Better than the first session yesterday, primer pockets on a whole are cleaner, but not bling bling clean.  

Need to experiment with maybe a longer running time or more citric acid.  

In all, for my second attempt I'm happy.

The brass dried in about 45 minutes at 115F in the dehydrator.  When I removed the bottom tray, I found 1 more pin, >sigh<.  Put it back in the main pin pile.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
4th attempt, scaled down to just 2 qts of brass again, 3 full hours, 1/2 tsp of citric acid, good squirt of Dawn.
Primer pockets are much cleaner, not perfectly clean, but pleased with the results.  Originally they all had black crud in them

Is this as good as it's going to get?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#11]
https://i.imgur.com/jGoPn6Bl.jpg

No. Doesn't show in the pic, but PP's are spotless.

You want the PP's clean tumble for 4 hours.

How much citric acid is dependent on local water chemistry, so experiment.

I use a 45 ACP case to 1 gallon of water.

And you can't use too much Dawn. When opened, the tumbler should be all soap bubbles.

Won't be long and I'll welcome you to the bling club.
View Quote

Fact of all facts. Don't skimp on Dawn. I pump in there heavy. And I don't cut corners on Lemishine either. My brass is gleaming....every single time!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Fifth run just started. 4 qts brass. Using the cleaning solution pack that came with the kit, otherwise it'll be one of those things I'll never use but never throw away (aka clutter)

Plan to do 4 hours
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Fifth run just started. 4 qts brass. Using the cleaning solution pack that came with the kit, otherwise it'll be one of those things I'll never use but never throw away (aka clutter)

Plan to do 4 hours
View Quote

The cleaning solution included with the pack worked fine, but was my darkest batch.  It needs lemishine added.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:11:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#14]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

The cleaning solution included with the pack worked fine, but was my darkest batch.  It needs lemishine added.
View Quote
This ended up being worthless, could be my water, 4 hours wasn't that clean at all.  Dumped the water out and put in Dawn and citric acid for a 2 hour run.  Got similar results as my previous batch.  So this was 4 with the freebie pack, 2 with Dawn and citric acid.

Could be the not 100% clean ones were reloaded 2 or 3 times vs once fired so the primer crud was super heavy or something.

Tomorrow will be 4 hours using Dawn and citric.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Just guesses; more citric acid and less brass?

Keep experimenting, you are close.
View Quote
Only thing I haven't done yet was Dawn/citric acid for 4 hours, that'll be tomorrow, then I'm out of 45 ACP brass to wet tumble.  I didn't add citric acid to the freebie pack that came with the kit, but do recall the label said it contained citric acid.  It wasn't very sudsy either.

Having a ball though, this is a new toy, brass looks awesome, it's a lot more work though having to deprime the cases ahead of time, constantly looking and scanning for lost pins.  Time matters, can't inadvertently leave it running all night like dry tumbling

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#18]
Get a timer. I start mine when I leave the shop for the night.

It's set for a 4 hr run, then every 3 hours a 15 min run.

Suds matter, more Dawn.
View Quote
The FART technically doesn't have an On switch, it has an Off though.  To turn on you set the timer up to 3 hours. The timer is mechanical and still counts down even when the unit is unplugged like a kitchen egg timer.  To do a 4 hour run means setting the timer for 3 hours, then going back and setting it to 1 hour after 3 hours is up.  Can't use an external timer to turn it on every 3 hours for 15 minutes.  

ETA: the Lite FART has a simple on/off switch, this larger one doesn't

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 8:49:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#19]
Can't use an external timer to turn it on every 3 hours for 15 minutes.
View Quote

You can with a big piece of tape.  :-)
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigsapper:

Honestly, with a FART, 3 hours so far has been just fine for everything I needed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#23]
One observation I heard and can absolutely confirm, its way easier to resize this brass in straight wall pistol.

Been processing about 15,000 9mm cases I have had for years.  First 5000 were try tumbled.  Now I'm into the wet tumbled.  The pressure on the arm is way lower and smoother.  I assume because I am using Armor all wash and wax, and there is wax residue left on the brass.  But it is sure noticeable, especially doing over 2000 cases a day.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
6th and Final (because I ran out of brass) 45ACP results are in, probably had 3.5 qts
Went a full 4 hours
Dawn and 1/2 tsp of citric acid

Water was extremely black and inky.  There's probably diminishing returns running any longer than 4 hours unless the water and solution is swapped out.  I'm convinced if I was only running once fired brass 2 hours or even less would leave me pristine primer pockets. But what I ran was a mix of multiple fired cases and once fired range pick ups.   Some cases had heavier primer crud than others.

If I shot these wet tumbled cases again and then wet tumbled, pockets would be squeaky clean.

Looking at these cases and then my reloads I made before getting into wet tumbling makes me feel my reloads are inferior in a way.  I'll change my brass processing process and start decapping my current stash of cases for the other calibers and won't load any new rounds unless the cases have been wet tumbled.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

What six batches of 45ACP looks like
Attachment Attached File

da Bling!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I saved some time on pin management, using the media separator the bulk of the pins will be in the bottom tub of the separator.  Before pouring brass into the separator cage I use the separator cap on on the drum and shake as many pins from it as I can into the tub.

Any stray pins I pick up goes into the tub

Instead of fishing the wet stuck pins from inside the drum with the stick magnet, I used a hose to rinse them loose from the drum and let them fall into the separator tub

After doing the brass and pin separation, I drain as much water from the tub as possible, pouring water into a bucket in case a pin tries to escape.  What's left is a wet pile of pins but they're all in one place.  Every few hours or so I'd shake the tub and swirl the pins around to let them dry faster.
The pins can be moved as well by waving a magnet underneath the tub.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#27]
On my 650, I was considering buying a universal decamping die and a tool head and just running the dirty brass that way before wet tumbling. I'd rather not run dirty brass through my Dillon dies. Should be a lot faster than doing it on the rock chucker. What's everyone else doing?
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:32:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#28]
Originally Posted By CoachMike:
On my 650, I was considering buying a universal decamping die and a tool head and just running the dirty brass that way before wet tumbling. I'd rather not run dirty brass through my Dillon dies. Should be a lot faster than doing it on the rock chucker. What's everyone else doing?
View Quote
Exactly what I did.  Bought a new toolhead and Dillon decapping die.  Press was already set up for 45ACP from my recent 45 loading project with powder coated bullets.  I removed the primer indexing block, no need to put useless wear on the priming system, you'll see the block in the bullet tray.

There'll be a different feel if you miss a primer at the priming station so this acts as a quality control step.  Occassionally I would get a spent primer in the primer wheel and this would lock up the press, easy to clear though

https://i.imgur.com/Mj6y5wr.mp4

12 cases in 24 seconds

When I get to point of wet tumbling 9mm I'll convert the press to 9mm and decap the 9mm that way.  Same for .223 since 45, 9, and 223 are the only caliber conversions I have for the 650.

Rest of my brass I'm doing on the Rock Chucker with the no longer sold Case Kicker.  My other option would be to decap non 9, 45, 223 on the 550B but this would be slower then the Rock Chucker.  With the case kicker the left hand feeds cases, there's no need to remove the last one, the case kicker does that, and the right hand never leaves the press handle.

On the 550 the right hand has to feed the case then operate the handle, twice as slow

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Been following this thread pretty close. Seems like most have the same methods. I'm in the camp of more Dawn, and more Lemishine. I bought 10 pounds of media in 2014, and haven't had to buy any more since. I had the RCBS media separator in the beginning, but the dang plastic hinges broke after just a couple years. We use the dillon one now. Definitely worth the money. Thing is solid!

This past week we started working on a 5 gallon bucket of LC brass....I actually had a couple days off to help. My wife has been going nuts decapping and tumbling. I got pretty lucky in that department! I work 80 hour weeks, and still get to come home to cleaned brass and freshly loaded ammo! And the kid loves helping us load the dryer.

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By muddawggin:
Been following this thread pretty close. Seems like most have the same methods. I'm in the camp of more Dawn, and more Lemishine. I bought 10 pounds of media in 2014, and haven't had to buy any more since. I had the RCBS media separator in the beginning, but the dang plastic hinges broke after just a couple years. We use the dillon one now. Definitely worth the money. Thing is solid!

This past week we started working on a 5 gallon bucket of LC brass....I actually had a couple days off to help. My wife has been going nuts decapping and tumbling. I got pretty lucky in that department! I work 80 hour weeks, and still get to come home to cleaned brass and freshly loaded ammo! And the kid loves helping us load the dryer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/Screenshot_20201215-025042_Messenger-1731853.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/Screenshot_20201215-025053_Messenger-1731854.jpg
View Quote

Brass looks great!  Finding any stuck pins?

Since I size all my rifle brass on a single stage I plan to dry tumble, size, then wet tumble, then finish up loading on a progressive.  

This avoids a decapping only step.  Wet tumbling after sizing would remove the sizing lube as well.

For pistol rounds all my ammo is done on a progressive so I still have the extra decapping step for pistol brass.

My actual making loaded ammo plans are on hold, my short term goal, probably 2-3 months, is to wet tumble my inventory of brass in various calibers, shoot up existing loaded ammo, then when I need new ammo, I'll be reloading with wet tumbled brass
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Since I size all my rifle brass on a single stage I plan to dry tumble, size, then wet tumble, then finish up loading on a progressive.  
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/Screenshot_20201215-025042_Messenger-1731853.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/Screenshot_20201215-025053_Messenger-1731854.jpg

Why dry tumble?  Why not wet tumble without pins?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Why dry tumble?  Why not wet tumble without pins?  
View Quote

Doable, but still more labor intensive (making the solution, rinsing, drying), cases would be cleaned but not polished.  Other than that no good reason
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#33]

This avoids a decapping only step.  Wet tumbling after sizing would remove the sizing lube as well.

For pistol rounds all my ammo is done on a progressive so I still have the extra decapping step for pistol brass.

My actual making loaded ammo plans are on hold, my short term goal, probably 2-3 months, is to wet tumble my inventory of brass in various calibers, shoot up existing loaded ammo, then when I need new ammo, I'll be reloading with wet tumbled brass
View Quote

Yeah there's an occasional pin here or there either sideways in the pocket, or maybe a couple doubled up in the flash hole. No biggie for us, just run it through the decapping die again. We love shooting, but also really enjoy the reloading aspect too. It's our family time rather than sitting in front of the TV.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#34]
One observation I heard and can absolutely confirm, its way easier to resize this brass in straight wall pistol.

Been processing about 15,000 9mm cases I have had for years.  First 5000 were try tumbled.  Now I'm into the wet tumbled.  The pressure on the arm is way lower and smoother.  I assume because I am using Armor all wash and wax, and there is wax residue left on the brass.  But it is sure noticeable, especially doing over 2000 cases a day.
View Quote

I agree completely.  Very noticeable improvement in pressure and feel on the handle.

I'll add my 2 cents here about the process.  I try not to fill the drum over half way with brass and they always come out with plenty of bling after only an hour.  I skip the Dawn because the Armorall wash & wax has soap in it.  You can tell if you have enough soap by the suds at the end of the cycle.  If you have suds, that means there is still soap available and adding more won't do you any good.  I don't stress about losing a few pins now and then.  I pour out the dirty water and then pour the brass into the separator.  Some pins get mixed in but it's no big deal.  I expect to be picking up pins in the bottom of the separator after rinsing and dewatering.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#36]
To stick in a flashole one of those pins are out of spec.

I punch those out and throw them away. Because if you return them to the mix they will stick again.

I started with 10 lbs of SS pins back in 2011 and have thrown away about 75-100 pins. 2 wet tumblers.

Very rare to get pins stuck in the flashole now days.
View Quote

That's interesting and a good suggestion. A good friend of mine ordered some stainless media and it's actually quite a bit bigger than what I'm using. We've never done a comparison on which cleans better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#37]

That's interesting and a good suggestion. A good friend of mine ordered some stainless media and it's actually quite a bit bigger than what I'm using. We've never done a comparison on which cleans better.
View Quote

.039 vs .047.   I bought the larger pins to prevent the primer hole issue entirely.  If I had know then, I would have bought the chips instead of the pins.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone's FART "walk" around the garage floor?

Several times I have come back to find the tumbler turned in a different direction than when I left it.  Today I heard an awful racket in the garage and it had moved about two feet and was rubbing against a box.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: muddawggin] [#40]
Originally Posted By Darkhors5:

.039 vs .047.   I bought the larger pins to prevent the primer hole issue entirely.  If I had know then, I would have bought the chips instead of the pins.
View Quote

I remember seeing the chios once. I wonder what the pro/con would be vs the pins

Edit. Chips
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Did some 380ACP, filled the FART to 1/2 capacity, 3 hours Dawn + 1/2 tsp citric.  No pins stuck in flashholes

Worth waving a magnet on a stick over these, if there's any pins inside the case, it'll make the case stick to the magnet.  Found a few that way

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: big_aug] [#42]
I spilled walnut media today and said F it.  I ordered a FART, a new FA separator,  some strainer cap add-ons, a magnet, and a Hornady Case Dryer on sale (lowest price ever per Camel Case Dryer)

I had a $200 Amazon gift card I was saving.  I used it toward all this.

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Did some 380ACP, filled the FART to 1/2 capacity, 3 hours Dawn + 1/2 tsp citric.  No pins stuck in flashholes

Worth waving a magnet on a stick over these, if there's any pins inside the case, it'll make the case stick to the magnet.  Found a few that way

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt1_jpg-1747932.JPG https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/59119/wt2_jpg-1747934.JPG
View Quote

When I first started I was dry tumbling the cases out of the FART, and occasionally I'd find a pin left in my brass.  I started a new method.  I bought the screen strainers and use one of those when rinsing.  I remove one clear cap, install a strainer, drain, and refill with cold water 3 times.  After the 3rd rinse, I fill it back up with water completely full.  This is usually the perfect amount of water for the Frankford media separator.  Then I slowly tumble them in the media separator with water, for a few minutes.  Lastly, I remove the lid, and give them a short dry tubmle in the lid, and watch for any pins.  Once I started doing this, I didn't need to worry about pins stuck inside cases anymore.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#44]

When I first started I was dry tumbling the cases out of the FART, and occasionally I'd find a pin left in my brass.  I started a new method.  I bought the screen strainers and use one of those when rinsing.  I remove one clear cap, install a strainer, drain, and refill with cold water 3 times.  After the 3rd rinse, I fill it back up with water completely full.  This is usually the perfect amount of water for the Frankford media separator.  Then I slowly tumble them in the media separator with water, for a few minutes.  Lastly, I remove the lid, and give them a short dry tubmle in the lid, and watch for any pins.  Once I started doing this, I didn't need to worry about pins stuck inside cases anymore.
View Quote

I don't think my pins were stuck, they just didn't get separated even I cranked the separator to hell and back, both directions. Separator had water in it at the proper level.  Found 3 total, at first I thought had some steel cases, but it was loose pins inside a case and the pin stuck the case to the magnet.

These pins are escape artists.  Had a few fly out while doing the separator even with the lid on, they went thru the tab that the upper lid and lower snap together.

I held the drum over a bucket and squirted water with a hose through it pretty good, then flipped the drum over and hosed off the inside again.  The stick magnet still found about 7 pins.

Doing more 380 tomorrow

Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I have the FART, but what are these screen strainers you are buying?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bowhuntr09:

View All Quotes

Lifesavers:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Innovative-Heavy-Duty-Worry-Free/dp/B07KT7YHFD
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

Lifesavers:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Innovative-Heavy-Duty-Worry-Free/dp/B07KT7YHFD

Thanks!!!!
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#48]

I remember seeing the chios once. I wonder what the pro/con would be vs the pins

Edit. Chips
View Quote

The Chips do not stick in the cases if your a bit quick on the water removal when getting the pins out.  Their shape seems to prevent surface tension from holding them in place as had been demonstrated with the pins.

That said.  I've only found pins when a smaller case got mixed in when tumbling.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AssaultRifler] [#50]
Yeah the lighting was off in the last pic.  Didn't do 380 yesterday but did this morning.  3H 15 min, then it sat for an hour or so.  I set it to 3 hours, max setting on the FART, loaded up for the range which took 15 minutes, then set it back to 3 H.

I've reach Tier 1 Blingness
The dark spots in the primer pockets are shadows

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

For fun I tumbled this for 1 hour just Dawn + citric, no pins, my meager range pick ups.  Dehydrated for 2 hours.  No after picture, but just as clean as dry tumbling but not polished.  Didn't decap these, why I dehydrated them.

Attachment Attached File

If you don't have a dehydrator, get one.  Brass is dry in 30 minutes or so, depending on the temp setting, I use 115F, they come out noticeably warm.
Note the lack of water spots as well. Another reason to use a dehydrator.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top