Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 7:34:54 PM EDT
This is probably an obvious question to anyone who is reloading shotgun shells, but here goes..

My 12 gauge MEC Sizemaster arrived today and I bolted it down to the bench.  I noticed several areas that I needed clarification on before I start reloading.  

The charge bar is 1-1/8 ounce which drops the shot.  There are 3 bushings 29, 30, 32 that drop various measures of powder.  I have one bag of 8.5 lead shot and a large amount of hulls (Various brands).  The hulls are all marked 7-1/2, 8, or 9.  My question is:

Can I use 8.5 shot in hulls marked 7-1/2, 8, or 9 or do I need to replace the shot as marked on the hulls?

Should I have a 1 ounce charge bar (Or what are your recommendations)?

Thanks..

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Shot size doesn't matter to much with the hull, but you will need to make sure the crimp on the hull is compatible with your crimp die.

The sensitive part is the wad.  It has to match up with the hulls you are loading and the amount of shot you want to use.

Tapered hulls need different wads than straight hulls.

The Lyman shot shell reloading manual is a good resource to start out with.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
We use any hull the same.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
It will only work if you write 8.5 on the hulls.

J/k

A hull is a hull.  You could load up buckshot and slugs if you wanted to.

I can't help with the rest because I still use these to load shotgun shells.

can't find pics of mine but it looks like these.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

J/k

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYt5SrgzAol_m0PSDkCvqqYFerAa-pvY8IBJTy1WRmrao0w8b5NQ

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6253153935/6684199/b13a070e3e0d317f891f539fc13039ae.jpg

View Quote

I don't think I've ever seen that set up before.  Looks like you could actually take it into the field.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  It helped.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
You may get some more help in the reloading forum of Arfcom Link to Armory/ reloading
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#7]
make sure you have the correct wad for the shot size/payload. If you don't your crimp will be fubar. As mentioned get the lyman manual.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
i learned lots here,  www.shotgunworld.com.   goto reloading, imho i load up all diff loads and weights in many diff hulls. no paper base tho. get a lymans reloader book and keep it handy. good luck!
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If your going for accuracy, You'll want to use the same hulls with the load. The base/web of some are different that others, so you will get different results.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I would find one specific hull and wad and stick with it.  Set the crimp depth that will work with that combination and load and stay with it.

Various different hulls and wads will work, but it's just not worth the hassle.  I strictly use AA winchester hulls these days.  Got tons of them I'll never use up, so no real reason to play around with different ones.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I could find a reason to re-mount my MEC, many years ago I used to reload for my 12 and 16 gauge all the time.
But these days try as I might, when I pencil it out - I just can't seem to make reloading my 12ga. shotshells come out cheaper than buying them off the shelf...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

J/k

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYt5SrgzAol_m0PSDkCvqqYFerAa-pvY8IBJTy1WRmrao0w8b5NQ

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6253153935/6684199/b13a070e3e0d317f891f539fc13039ae.jpg

View Quote

I don't think I've ever seen that set up before.  Looks like you could actually take it into the field.

View Quote

Yep. Not much to it really.  Lee hasn't made the shotgun kits for years though, but a couple other companies make the same basic thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wish I could find a reason to re-mount my MEC, many years ago I used to reload for my 12 and 16 gauge all the time.But these days try as I might, when I pencil it out - I just can't seem to make reloading my 12ga. shotshells come out cheaper than buying them off the shelf...
View Quote

With the price of lead, for sure.  28 and .410 are still worth it.

Oh, and OP, get a powder scale.

This is my goto for recipes:

alliant
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I reload all my own pistol and rifle but can't seem to beat the prices of federal or Winchester shelf loads.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wish I could find a reason to re-mount my MEC, many years ago I used to reload for my 12 and 16 gauge all the time.But these days try as I might, when I pencil it out - I just can't seem to make reloading my 12ga. shotshells come out cheaper than buying them off the shelf...
View Quote

Yep, I agree. I used to buy 25# bag of lead shot for around $12. What is it up to now?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I agree. I used to buy 25# bag of lead shot for around $12. What is it up to now?
View Quote

I bought 3 bags for $100 from a guy.  Retail around $45

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:16:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck!  I'm only 43 and back when I was shooting serious ATA trap I was paying $6/bag for new and $4/bag recycled.  No way would I even bother reloading now days unless something weird happens and I start shooting clays again.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Now I've got a 1/2 bucket of Remington Nitro 27 shells that I read are the same as STS (So the load data is the same).

I have the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 5th edition.  I've got 700X powder, Remington RPX12 wads, and  Federal 209A primers.  The book calls for a  Remington 209P primer.

I have:

1000 Ficocchi 616 primers

1000 Federal 209A primers

300 Winchester W209 primers

500 Remington RXP12 wads

500 TGT 12S wads

Hulls:

Winchester AA gray and red

Winchester Game

Winchester Super X

Federal Premium Target

Federal Game

Remington green smooth

Remington STS

Remington Nitro 27

Powder:

700X

PB

Bullseye

AutoComp

What combo of these supplies works?  Is there a primer / wad interchangeability chart?  I can buy all kinds of rifle powder around here, but the shotgun powders are nowhere to be found (Titewad, Clays, Red Dot, e3, etc) and the pistol powders are hard to find so this is all I have to work with until I can match the components exactly.

Thanks  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:07:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Now I've got a 1/2 bucket of Remington Nitro 27 shells that I read are the same as STS (So the load data is the same).

I have the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, 5th edition.  I've got 700X powder, Remington RPX12 wads, and  Federal 209A primers.  The book calls for a  Remington 209P primer.

I have:

1000 Ficocchi 616 primers

1000 Federal 209A primers

300 Winchester W209 primers

500 Remington RXP12 wads

500 TGT 12S wads

Hulls:

Winchester AA gray and red

Winchester Game

Winchester Super X

Federal Premium Target

Federal Game

Remington green smooth

Remington STS

Remington Nitro 27

Powder:

700X

PB

Bullseye

AutoComp

What combo of these supplies works?  Is there a primer / wad interchangeability chart?  I can buy all kinds of rifle powder around here, but the shotgun powders are nowhere to be found (Titewad, Clays, Red Dot, e3, etc) and the pistol powders are hard to find so this is all I have to work with until I can match the components exactly.

Thanks  

View Quote
I'll find my manual tomorrow and see what I can dig up between shells and powder. I personally like HS-6...I use it for my buckshot loads..and pistol too, duhhhhh

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#21]
You have to be very carefull substituting shotgun components.  There are no 'pressure signs' to look for.   SAAMI pressure for a 2-3/4" 12 ga is 11,500psi.  You want to stay below that.

Bushing charts are just guidlines to get on the map.  Use a scale to check your drops.

You'll be better off to pick one hull-wad- primer-powder combination and stick with it.

The rem hulls you have are the best 12 ga hulls.  The new AA would be a close second, but can be a little tricky to get good crimps.

Go to the powder manufacturers website and look up loads.  Most have a pretty decent load data center and you will be able to see how component changes can dramaticaly affect pressure.   The fed 209A primers are generally considered hotter,  substituting them in a load calling for win 209 or rem 209 primers can raise pressure significantly.

ETA: 700x is a very good 12 gauge clay target powder.  For 16 yd trap, pasture trap, or skeet 1 oz loads are fine.  Your bag of shot will go a bit further.  You'll get 400 1 oz loads or 16 boxes out of a bag of shot.  You have to have the right wads for either 1-1/8 or 1 oz.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
1387Delta, yes there are detailed charts and load data for various wads and hulls.

The wads are probably going to guide the loads you are going to make since you can only run those once to begin with.

Each wad design has a limited amount of preload compression it wants by design, so the internal shape of the hull has to match.

Like the others have pointed out, you will want to invest in one of the better shotshell load manuals.

You will want to make small batches and test with a pattern board and chrono. You will see that some loads just won't pattern for you even if your machine cranks them out pretty or even if your rig cycles well.

You will want to find a hull and wad that agrees with your chokes and taste in terms of patterns and speed. When you find the one(s) that works for your rig, the next challenge is to find the bulk deal on sale and tune up the machine for that recipe.

I think you will enjoy the journey.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the replies.  I have just finished loading the following:

Remington Nitro 27 hulls

Federal 209A primers

Remington Fig. 8 wads

17.5 grs. of 700x

1-1/8 oz of 8.5 shot

I couldn't get the 700x to meter properly through my MEC Sizemaster.  I used the 29 bushing like the book said to use, however, it was metering all over the place.  

I ended up using my RCBS Chargemaster for every shell.  It was slow, but I felt I was getting an accurate charge.  

I think I am getting the hang of it.  I just have to find all of the components for the particular hull.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I have not loaded 700x for years, but I don't recall having issues with it.   800x is known for metering issues.   One thing that MAY help is a powder baffle, the red PC (pattern control) baffle seems to get the best reviews.  YMMV.

Another 'trick' to loading on the single stage is to size, deprime and prime all the hulls, then go back and drop powder and crimp them.  Supposedly it speeds up the overall process and helps with getting a little more uniform drops.  Also, the more consistent your cycling the machine, the more consistent the drops will be.   I load on a progressive press which is bolted to a stout top, which is bolted to the wall, I don't get much variation in my drops.  

If your drops don't match the charts I wouldn't worry about it, use the bushing that works.  If your drops just have to much variation - maybe more than +/- 0.2 then I'd worry about it and try to sort out what the problem is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top