Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 56 of 77)
Page / 77
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CKyleC] [#1]
Double tap
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

I would first convert the cases, THEN worry about loading them.  

A lot of people seem to do well forming cases with Dillon's sizer and trim die, but make sure you properly expand the necks or you'll have problems.

I form my cases the old fashioned way: I chop them to length, anneal them, size them, then trim them.  I personally feel that annealing after shortening but before forming gives me more consistent necks.
View Quote
All my brass is factory 300blk. No converting necessary
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
To process them, you need the standard dies, and probably either a Lee Universal Expander or a Lyman M Die to bell/expand the mouths.  I haven't used the Lee, but the Lyman M die works very well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
I'm getting horrible accuracy from my sub loads, I'm talking 12 moa bad .

Bullets: NOE 247gr cast from straight wheel weights, powder coated and sized to .309".

Cases: Once fired factory brass (not converted).

Case prep:

• Resized so the shoulder is pushed back .002" from a fire formed case.

• Trimmed to 1.355" if needed, all pieces are chamfered and deburred.

• Primer pockets are uniformed.

• Necks are expanded with a NOE .312" expander ball.

Load, seating, crimp: 11gr of H4198 for ~1040 FPS. Bullets are seated to the top driving band and crimped with a Lee FCD just enough to remove any bell left from the expander.

I'm using a Ballistic Advantage 8" 1/8 twist pistol gas barrel that slugs to .307" which should be perfect. The bullets make a strange "wizzing" sound when fired but aren't keyholing and there's no leading in the barrel. This has been really frustrating and I'm about ready to call it quits. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm this accuracy issue?
View Quote
Have you tried a lighter bullet?  1/8 might be on the edge of stability at those velocities. How far were you shooting? 25, 50, 100 yds or farther?  If you are getting a 3" group not tumbling at 25yd try at 100 and I'd bet they will keyhole.  If you are getting a 12" group not keyholed at 100 it might be transonic instability. What is your altitude?  You could try slowing them down 100 fps and see if they will group.

The whizzing might be the bullets failing. You said they were straight wheel weights. How hot did you smelt them?  Maybe you melted a zinc one or two in the batch. It might make them brittle enough to fracture off a piece.  Or your powder coating could be coming off causing the whizzing.  

I don't cast or losd 300 blackout yet, so I am not as knowledgeable as most people on this thread, but I didn't see anything about these being possibilities.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Unkydon] [#5]
Try not to push them too fast. I am getting best accuracy with same bullet sized to .310 and pushing 770-800 fps. Out of an 8" barrel.

I cast with Lyman #2 alloy.

Lee will custom make a 310 bullet sizing die as it is not a stock item.

Try 7.7 gr of 4227. Gas block wide open.

I know it's an anemic load. But no leading easy in the gun etc.

Pushing 1000 fps out of an 8" barrel is actually getting some high pressures that, in my rifle, were cutting bullet base as it passed gas port.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:53:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the_naked_prophet] [#6]
I looked into converting a few thousand of 5.56 brass that I have saved up, but the whole process of annealing just seems like too much time/trouble/effort for me. Especially since, last time I asked about it, everybody said, "Just buy converted/annealed cases by the thousand from the EE."

Is that still a thing? Because I can't find any.

Or, more in general, if I wanted to get cases to reload economical blasting ammo, where would I find those?

[edit]I am seeing a lot of remanufactured ammo out there, all made from converted cases, but none of those places mention annealing in their description of the ammo. Do they not anneal, or is it just kind of assumed that they do anneal, or what?[/edit]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:58:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Aside from Photobucket being rude about pictures, HERE it dryflash3's Low Budget Annealing thread.  Everything you need to know is here.

TL;DR: using an inexpensive propane torch and a few bits of hardware, along with a precision temperature indicating fluid, it's pretty cheap and easy to anneal your converted cases.

I follow dryflash3's process: chop, debur, anneal, form, trim.  It works great.  I personally feel that annealing before forming produces more consistent case necks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn....I knew I wanted to order something else with my last midway order...

More Temiplaq....

Hope to get back into this soon.
I'm going to setup my loading equipment in a storage unit and hope for the best.

208 ELD question.

I was loading these and using a OAL if 2.250"

I picked up a box or Hornady "Black" 208 Amax, as something to get a idea how close I was to that load.

I just got the can for it, so now with real velocity numbers, I can fine tune the load.

With my load, adding the can didn't add anything to velocity
So that load is in the low 900's
(I was told expect aprox 10%)

The Hornady load is advertised at 1020fps muzzle and I'm at 1017 with a 10" barrel w/can

1st thing I did was measure the OAL...

So....

.050 shorter

The Amax and ELD IS the same other than the tip material, correct?

Heres my plan and would love some feedback.

Cut my load back .2gr and stuff them in .050 deeper. Load 5

Also load 5 @ my loading and stuff them .050 deeper , and check the numbers.

Maybe even bump my load up .2gr AND .050" deeper.

Had anyone noticed a difference in accuracy with OAL changes with ELD subs?

My untuned load without a can was...

208 ELD (m)
wolf primers
11.2gr of A1680
2.250" OAL

Whos shooting the 208 ELD with a can, and is willing to comment/ share what they may have learned?

What did I learn? Can made zero diff in numbers.

IN MY SBR WITH MY LOAD!!

As always dont do / load anthing you read online. Work up
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mybronco2:
Damn....I knew I wanted to order something else with my last midway order...

More Temiplaq....

Hope to get back into this soon.
I'm going to setup my loading equipment in a storage unit and hope for the best.

208 ELD question.

I was loading these and using a OAL if 2.250"

I picked up a box or Hornady "Black" 208 Amax, as something to get a idea how close I was to that load.

I just got the can for it, so now with real velocity numbers, I can fine tune the load.

With my load, adding the can didn't add anything to velocity
So that load is in the low 900's
(I was told expect aprox 10%)

The Hornady load is advertised at 1020fps muzzle and I'm at 1017 with a 10" barrel w/can

1st thing I did was measure the OAL...

So....

.050 shorter

The Amax and ELD IS the same other than the tip material, correct?

Heres my plan and would love some feedback.

Cut my load back .2gr and stuff them in .050 deeper. Load 5

Also load 5 @ my loading and stuff them .050 deeper , and check the numbers.

Maybe even bump my load up .2gr AND .050" deeper.

Had anyone noticed a difference in accuracy with OAL changes with ELD subs?

My untuned load without a can was...

208 ELD (m)
wolf primers
11.2gr of A1680
2.250" OAL

Whos shooting the 208 ELD with a can, and is willing to comment/ share what they may have learned?

What did I learn? Can made zero diff in numbers.

IN MY SBR WITH MY LOAD!!

As always dont do / load anthing you read online. Work up
View Quote
I've been running ELDs and previously Amaxs at 10.9gr of 1680 with an COAL 2.165 and FGM primers. I can't comment on the velocity but it's very quiet and groups well. I'm running a SDN6 on a 8" barrel BTW.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Concerning annealing. Does it matter if I anneal already formed cases that weren't annealed? Or do I need to chop new cases, anneal and then form?

I've been working with some 130gr TSX pulls, originally from Remington Hog Hammer. Working off suggestions from Barnes I worked up some test loads with H110 but I'm getting extreme ED and SDs, like SD of 41fps and ES of 110. Accuracy is abysmal for 50yds, 2in 10rd groups. 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#14]
In short, it doesn't matter whether you case formed first, or not before you anneal.  

Preferably anneal before, since forming a case hardened section of the brass is obviously tougher on brass and reloading equipment, potentially introducing metallurgy weakening as well.

The reason is that annealing will put the casehardened case (can use the same analogy on the converted brass, due to where the new neck [casehardened brass] was formed) back into the desired state each time you anneal.

Theoretically, as long as annealing is done properly, where you are not exceeding the 750 degree-ish mark, you can anneal as many times as you want, because you are bringing back the composition of the brass from a hardened state, into more of a desired state for the job.  The job being, more elasticity without degradation or brittleness, to avert catastrophic fail around the shoulder and neck.

I can speak for the above referenced thread on the DIY annealing machine.  It was a great project to complete.  It will make you appreciate the process better.  Otherwise, careful and consistent process with socket, etc. will get you pretty good results.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking for load data but have came up empty with trying to find a load for a 300 blackout with .308 147gr FMJBT round. Only powders I do have currently are H335, W760, CFE223, and CFEBLK Thanks for your all’s time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Realtree86:
Looking for load data but have came up empty with trying to find a load for a 300 blackout with .308 147gr FMJBT round. Only powders I do have currently are H335, W760, CFE223, and CFEBLK Thanks for your all’s time.
View Quote
Here's data from Hodgdon's website for 150 grain, so it should get you started.  I shoot the 147 gr. with Lil'Gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sheltot:

Here's data from Hodgdon's website for 150 grain, so it should get you started.  I shoot the 147 gr. with Lil'Gun.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/87660/150gr-312642.png
View Quote
Yeah the problem is I don’t have lil gun only the ones I listed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Realtree86:

Yeah the problem is I don’t have lil gun only the ones I listed.
View Quote
He posted load data for CFEBLK, which was on your list.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MSUbulldog21:

He posted load data for CFEBLK, which was on your list.
View Quote
My bad I read it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I used data for M80 147 grain FMJs and worked up my load using Hornady's (much better) 150 grain FMJs.  Later, I used my same load with Hornady's 150 grain spitzer soft points with essentially the same accuracy and velocity.  I would not use 150 grain bullets intended for .30-30 without a completely new work up because their profile is quite a bit different.

You need to pay close attention to the bullet profile when you choose source data, particularly in the lighter bullets.  For example, you can't quite use the same data for "all" 110 grain .308 bullets, since there are a bunch of round nose/soft point/etc. bullets that are intended for .30 Carbine, and even the longest of these (the RN FMJs) are a challenge to get to feed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone used the Barnes 120 Tac TX bullets? Are the same construction as the 110s as in they expand well down to 1300 fps? I'm trying to work a hunting load up and can't find 110s anywhere. The 120s appear to be a good substitute IF they expand the same.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HuntinBuddy80:
Anyone used the Barnes 120 Tac TX bullets? Are the same construction as the 110s as in they expand well down to 1300 fps? I'm trying to work a hunting load up and can't find 110s anywhere. The 120s appear to be a good substitute IF they expand the same.
View Quote
There's no reason they wouldn't.  It's basically the same bullet with the addition of a boat tail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Any idea why the bullets would make a "wizzing" shound when fired?
View Quote
The most likely explanation for the wizzing sound is turbulent airflow over the surface of the bullet..
Looking at the picture you posted, the powder coating appears to have a fair amount of texture... akin to that of a golf ball or a baseball, both of which "wizz" at speed.

This turbulent airflow could also explain your accuracy issues...
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grimhollow] [#25]
Anyone else ever had a problem with 220 grain Sierra Matchkings not stabilizing? I'm getting a lot of key holing out of my 10.5" 1:8 twist barrel, with the rounds loaded at about 1060 fps.  I guess they just don't like my barrel.  Everything else I've shot is fine, about 2 out of 10 key hole when I use 220 grain SMK's, though. They are going into about a 5" group at 100 yards, also. I'm not that concerned about the accuracy, though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:56:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#26]
Question for you pros on 300BO. Have had mine for a few months so still learning. Was searching the web for a inexpensive upper for my brother in law. Came across a web site selling short barrel uppers. Davidson Defense. They listed a 10 inch barrel upper with 1:7 twist and a note stating 1:8 have stabilizing issues with short barrels shooting subsonic loads. True? My brother in law wants a 10 inch but most are 1:8. Appreciate any info. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Question for you pros on 300BO. Have had mine for a few months so still learning. Was searching the web for a inexpensive upper for my brother in law. Came across a web site selling short barrel uppers. Davidson Defense. They listed a 10 inch barrel upper with 1:7 twist and a note stating 1:8 have stabilizing issues with short barrels shooting subsonic loads. True? My brother in law wants a 10 inch but most are 1:8. Appreciate any info. Thanks
View Quote
See my post above yours. Seems to be true in my case, but I'm not sure about others. It did stabilize 200 grain S&B subsonic ammunition, though, just not the 220 grain Sierra Matchkings.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dragon] [#28]
I have a 10.5" barrel and ran 220 matchkings, and 208 ELD with no issues.  Unfortunately all my data is boxed up waiting to be moved in a few weeks, so I can't give more info on them.

Edit:  I am running 1:8 twist and I was running H110 powder
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 8:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grimhollow] [#29]
Originally Posted By dragon:
I have a 10.5" barrel and ran 220 matchkings, and 208 ELD with no issues.  Unfortunately all my data is boxed up waiting to be moved in a few weeks, so I can't give more info on them.

Edit:  I am running 1:8 twist and I was running H110 powder
View Quote
Thanks. I used Accurate 1680, and these were some pulled bullets I got from American Reloading, but I don't think that had anything to do with it (I guess it's possible, though). I might experiment with some other powders and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I finally got back around to the 300 BO today. I still haven't gone and bought any 125 class bullets that have canalure and had 20 rounds of 150gr still loaded so decided to go ahead and load another 20.

This is the first time I'm using the Lee FCD for this caliber. The brass was all freshly processed so I didn't have any problems seating and crimping the previous rounds in one step but I know the FCD's well and like the end results although they add a extra step on my single stage press.

After I finished I compared the 2 different crimps (roll & FCD) and have to admit the FCD does a really nice job even if "looks alone" don't mean anything.

BTW: The load is: 150gr Hornady #3031, 15gr Lil-gun, CCI-400 primer.

Motor
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I estimate that I'm at around 3/4 closed on the FCD gaps.

I'm running a 2.100" OAL with 1.360" case length so my crimp is focused on the bottom side of the canalure which is where I feel it's needed for my particular situation.

That situation:  I was finding that my OAL was growing from inertia of bolt slamming closed. I tested several bullets without crimp and all moved forward. They didn't move much maybe only .005" but they moved.

A functional crimp in a canalure prevents this movement.

Motor
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
One thing I learned was to try twist the bullet to insure I have enough crimp on it. If it moves, a little more crimp.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]
So I have a short tool head and trim die.  My upper is on the way and I need to form some brass.  I know Dillon says not to use the rt1200 for a full cut down but just how fast will it kill one.  My thought is I'm only making 1000 or so so it should be ok.  If long term it kills the trimmer I'll up grade. I just don't won't to have it die right away.  Any one know how long it may hold up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
One thing I learned was to try twist the bullet to insure I have enough crimp on it. If it moves, a little more crimp.
View Quote
You should never be able to turn a bullet seated in a case weather it's crimped or not. If you can there is something wrong.

Motor
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rustybob:
So I have a short tool head and trim die.  My upper is on the way and I need to form some brass.  I know Dillon says not to use the rt1200 for a full cut down but just how fast will it kill one.  My thought is I'm only making 1000 or so so it should be ok.  If long term it kills the trimmer I'll up grade. I just don't won't to have it die right away.  Any one know how long it may hold up.
View Quote
plenty long enough.  it gets hot though.  i would avoid the LONG sessions and let it cool down.  heat kills the insulation in the widnings thus killing the motor.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#37]
slow is not a problem I have all winter.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I am curious about an odd bullet that is for .30 m1 carbine the 'Lehigh Defense Xtreme Cavitator Bullets'
It is  85gr. Solid copper  and looks like a square drive bit for your 30 cal.

Has anyone loaded these in the BO ?

More curious than anything of the results POS. Or NEG.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#39]
MagPul 300 Blackout magazines---Has anyone with them sat down and figured out how much longer you can seat some of your favorite bullets?

Maybe a more appropriate question is what measurement can we use for the new diameter (instead of .250) to use at the rib(s).  Since the method for determining overall length is well described, I won't bother with it here.  It seems the ribs in the 300blk are about .100 wider than the .gov M4 mags I used as a reference. It doesn't seem like that will give us a large increase, but it will be something.  

Currently, I use lancer magazines for my "ready" 300blk rounds, not because I feel they are better, but because they look and feel different.  FWIW The Magpul mags worked as expected with the limited use I have with them--100rds give or take.

My current method is to use a bullet comparator for 25 caliber and make a light "ring" around the bullet and seat as described in this thread.  I thought I might try the 7mm hole (right or wrong) because it's the next size I have.  Thinking out loud as I write this, once a target diameter is determined, a simple bushing for one of the various neck sizing dies might work to mark the bullet.  

Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Army03CRNA:
MagPul 300 Blackout magazines---Has anyone with them sat down and figured out how much longer you can seat some of your favorite bullets?

Maybe a more appropriate question is what measurement can we use for the new diameter (instead of .250) to use at the rib(s).  Since the method for determining overall length is well described, I won't bother with it here.  It seems the ribs in the 300blk are about .100 wider than the .gov M4 mags I used as a reference. It doesn't seem like that will give us a large increase, but it will be something.  

Currently, I use lancer magazines for my "ready" 300blk rounds, not because I feel they are better, but because they look and feel different.  FWIW The Magpul mags worked as expected with the limited use I have with them--100rds give or take.

My current method is to use a bullet comparator for 25 caliber and make a light "ring" around the bullet and seat as described in this thread.  I thought I might try the 7mm hole (right or wrong) because it's the next size I have.  Thinking out loud as I write this, once a target diameter is determined, a simple bushing for one of the various neck sizing dies might work to mark the bullet.  

Any other thoughts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Army03CRNA:

Any other thoughts?
From back on Pg 51:

Originally Posted By PARover:
I am presently using some 6.8 mags with 5.56 followers in them. Color
coded followers help keep them straight, and I can always return them
back to normal.
Measuring inside rib to rib:
D&H (PSA) .556 mag: .544
ASC 6.8 mag           :  .645

Neck on a 6.8 is approx .300 vs .250 on the .556
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PARover:
From back on Pg 51:
View Quote
I even posted on that page. Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ezekeial:
Am just starting 300 blk, and got a couple questions for the experienced. If ya got the time, it would be sincerely appreciated. Have been through the 300 blk forum, but likely missed some things. Am loading for 8.5 in 1::7 twist ar.

1-Has anyone measured the COL of a Noveske 220 grain glow tip?
2-Has anyone checked how the COL of handloaded Nosler 220 rnbt against jump to lands in regards to stability /accuracy?
3-Has anyone had any stability issues with the Noveske glow tips?
4-Has anyone tried Hornadys 140 gn monoflex bullets in 300 blk? Apparenty one version (#30310) is designed to expand around 1550 fps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there a cleaner, or maybe I should say, full burning powder out there for subs out of a 10.5" barrel?  Non-suppressed!

I am having issues with unburned/not fully burned power collecting in the chamber.  Three or four rounds and I'll get a failure to close the bolt.

AA1680, RL7, IMR 4198 are three I have and tried.  All have caused issues even though the smaller granules of the 1680 took a few more shots to cause problems.  175 grain SMK seated from 2-2.25".
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Is there a cleaner, or maybe I should say, full burning powder out there for subs out of a 10.5" barrel?  Non-suppressed!

I am having issues with unburned/not fully burned power collecting in the chamber.  Three or four rounds and I'll get a failure to close the bolt.

AA1680, RL7, IMR 4198 are three I have and tried.  All have caused issues even though the smaller granules of the 1680 took a few more shots to cause problems.  175 grain SMK seated from 2-2.25".
View Quote
VV N-120 is known as the best subsonic powder nowadays. Cleanest, quietest, most consistent, etc. I haven't actually used it yet but I have some on the way. Problem is it's more expensive and hard to find locally.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
I've never had that problem with Accurate 1680 or IMR 4198 out of my 10.5", and have also used CFE BLK, and Winchester 296 without issue. I mostly use 1680 for subsonics. I use CCI #41 primers, not sure if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't think that the primer would make a difference, but I am using standard CCI 400's.

This is after 9 rounds of 1680 and 9 rounds of RL7 with the bore snake going down the barrel after each 3 rounds.  As well as just trying to blow the unburned powder out with my mouth.

It was a lot worse that what it looks like here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grimhollow] [#47]
I wouldn't think that the primer would make a difference, but I am using standard CCI 400's.

This is after 9 rounds of 1680 and 9 rounds of RL7 with the bore snake going down the barrel after each 3 rounds.  As well as just trying to blow the unburned powder out with my mouth.

<a href="http://ibb.co/bHhVeb"></a>http://preview.ibb.co/cnZMkG/crap.png

It was a lot worse that what it looks like here.
View Quote
Wow... yeah, I haven't had anything close to that. Not even like what you have there after cleaning it out some. I've been using 220 grain SMK's, a Mega 10.5" barrel, Aim NiB bcg, Geissele gas block, etc. Haven't had the first problem, other than the 220's not wanting to stabilize. I'm getting ready to try an 8" 1 in 7 twist, my 10.5 is 1 in 8.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 9:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sheltot] [#48]

View Quote
Run it suppressed and it blows the junk into the FCG.

ETA: I use 1680 for subs and haven’t had a problem. I do run suppressed and don’t clean very often either; just keep the bolt lubed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I have tried crimping when running them longer than 2.2", but below that, I figured there was enough meat in the case neck to not worry.  I honestly thought it was going to improve shoving them in more, but sadly, it hasn't.

Tomorrows plan is to try some RL15.  Bit slower on the scale, but so is VV N-320 from the rest of the stuff I have tried and I have a ton of RL15.  Or maybe because I am 4500' in elevation I should try faster powder???  Also, I have another buffer that I am going to attempt to add some weight to and see if keeping it chambered for slightly longer will help.
Page / 77
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 56 of 77)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top