BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 6/10/2011 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 9:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#2]
Well finally some good news. I had a problem this weekend with my cheap drum taking a crap.

so i couldn't find any 8" pvc locally so i decided to go with 6" and see how it worked.

I calculated i had enuff room to make a 2 gallon container just right for the 10lbs of media i bought and it basically doubles

the size of the thumler. here are some pics of making it. I took a 1 1/2" piece of pvc pipe and cut it in half then cut about a third of that off.

I then glued and riveted them in the drum sealing the rivets inside and out with silicone.

So tonight everything was dry so i through in 6lbs of 40 cases, 10lbs of media, just under two gallons of water, tablespoon lemi shine and a big squirt of dawn

i tumbled for 2 hours and 10 minutes and this is what i got. this was the whole batch pretty good i think i could go to 7 or 8lbs no problem. I see no reason to tumble longer what do you guys think

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also here is a small video to show the speed. I slowed it down about 25rpms, i went from a 1 1/2 and a 3 to a 1 1/2 and 4" pulley

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Those cases look good.

Please give more info on the removable end.

Looks like a rubber cap, What holds it on?

The removable end is a 4" clean out rubber cap, it is held on by a hose clamp. on that end of the pipe is a 6" to 4" reducer. The pipe is the thinner sewer pipe with a wall thickness of .188"

the od is smaller than the schedule 40 pipe and take diff. fittings but they are way cheaper than the schedule 40 suff. this had a od around 6.25 inches the schedule 40 is about 6 5/8 inches i think.

i bought the stuff at lowes, the pipe was about 16 bucks for a 2 foot piece, the cap was 6 bucks, and the reducer was 8 bucks. the cap was like 6 but i had got that a week or so ago don't remember exactly.

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 12:03:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Thanks for clearing that up.

Can you tell I'm not a plumber?

im not a plumber either    i stayed at a holiday inn express lastnight  

and that is ok i can't do with wood what you do.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By GWhis:
Excellent idea, design, and build.  A couple of months of use will certainly see some tweaks and such until it runs to perfection.  That's the beauty of DIY.  Good job!  (good exercize for the brain as well!)

A couple of months, Hell!  Perfection is pretty close already!  EXCELLENT!

I watched (and listened) to your video.  Wow, works great...loud...but works super.  One question:  Was there a reason you didn't opt for a screw-on lid rather than the rubber/hose clamp lid?  Those rubber things work, but they are designed for temporary, while concrete is being poured.  When the plumbers finish they replace it with a screw-on lid.

If I build me one, I wouldn't change anything, except maybe for that....and that's a maybe.  I would want to use liquid teflon tape to make screw-on lid water tight, and also make it unscrew easier.  Also, I'd be looking for a place to put it permanently inside an insulated wood cabinet....
Super cool project...a keeper!

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Excellent idea, design, and build.  A couple of months of use will certainly see some tweaks and such until it runs to perfection.  That's the beauty of DIY.  Good job!  (good exercize for the brain as well!)

A couple of months, Hell!  Perfection is pretty close already!  EXCELLENT!

I watched (and listened) to your video.  Wow, works great...loud...but works super.  One question:  Was there a reason you didn't opt for a screw-on lid rather than the rubber/hose clamp lid?  Those rubber things work, but they are designed for temporary, while concrete is being poured.  When the plumbers finish they replace it with a screw-on lid.

If I build me one, I wouldn't change anything, except maybe for that....and that's a maybe.  I would want to use liquid teflon tape to make screw-on lid water tight, and also make it unscrew easier.  Also, I'd be looking for a place to put it permanently inside an insulated wood cabinet....
Super cool project...a keeper!

i used rubber for ease of opening and closing first and second if there is threads on the inside it is more places for those little pieces of cleaning media to stick and fall out all over

with the rubber cap just loosen the hose clamp and away you go. now if you didn't want to put the reducer on there and leave it 6" then the threaded version would work better. the largest cap i had found was 4

so that is what i went with. and yes it makes some noise but i leave it in the garage and i can't hear it in the house unless i am in my reloading room so no big deal.

thanks for the compliments. i think i have it dialed in now and i can run it at 2 different speeds, 75 rpm and 100 rpm.

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you BIGGDAWG.

That is exactly what I was thinking of building a couple weeks ago in my thread.  

Now I need to get building.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#11]
I did a load of 7lbs of 223 brass tonight about 500 cases at one time. I took pics along the way just to show my process

ETA these were tumbled for 2.5 hours

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Very nice. I have a my first summer project thanks to this thread. Just the right size tumbler for my needs also.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#14]
if only I had a motor, welder, welding skills, spare pipe
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AL50bmgshooter:
if only I had a motor, welder, welding skills, spare pipe

lmao  

good one

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
So when are you going to market your tumbler? Could be the start of a small business.

Dane
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Not trying to be nasty but this example looks a bit "off”.  

First, based on my own experience, those 500 cases of 223 looks too clean to be virgin fired brass.  The "dirty” water being poured out after cleaning also looks too clean.  I am guessing that you did tumble them for 2.5 hour to get them this clean but that they were perhaps tumbled previously without the SS media in your setup prior to the arrival of your media?  

In my experience, the "virgin” fired brass always looks dirtier, and the "dirty” water should looks almost black and not slightly tainted as in your example…..  So my guess is that it is truly possible to get fired brass that clean with your setup, but it takes more than 2.5 hours – just trying to keep expectations reasonable.

Link Posted: 6/16/2011 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jlow:

First, based on my own experience, those 500 cases of 223 looks too clean to be virgin fired brass.  The "dirty” water being poured out after cleaning also looks too clean.  I am guessing that you did tumble them for 2.5 hour to get them this clean but that they were perhaps tumbled previously without the SS media in your setup prior to the arrival of your media?  

In my experience, the "virgin” fired brass always looks dirtier, and the "dirty” water should looks almost black and not slightly tainted as in your example…..  So my guess is that it is truly possible to get fired brass that clean with your setup, but it takes more than 2.5 hours – just trying to keep expectations reasonable.

Those cases had been tumbled in walnut for 2 hours before. but my 40 and 9 cases were never tumbled or cleaned and the look just like that after 2.5 hours

so you can think what you want i know what my tumbler can do. you have to realize that it is tumbling twice as fast as a thumler and i use 2-3 times more lemi shine when i tumble my brass.

I appreciate your input but why would i miss represent? i am not selling it just posting what i am doing. Sorry if you don't believe the results. i will try to find some real bad range brass  and run a batch with pics

then you might believe.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:24:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:

First, based on my own experience, those 500 cases of 223 looks too clean to be virgin fired brass. The "dirty” water being poured out after cleaning also looks too clean. I am guessing that you did tumble them for 2.5 hour to get them this clean but that they were perhaps tumbled previously without the SS media in your setup prior to the arrival of your media?

In my experience, the "virgin” fired brass always looks dirtier, and the "dirty” water should looks almost black and not slightly tainted as in your example….. So my guess is that it is truly possible to get fired brass that clean with your setup, but it takes more than 2.5 hours – just trying to keep expectations reasonable.

Those cases had been tumbled in walnut for 2 hours before. but my 40 and 9 cases were never tumbled or cleaned and the look just like that after 2.5 hours

so you can think what you want i know what my tumbler can do. you have to realize that it is tumbling twice as fast as a thumler and i use 2-3 times more lemi shine when i tumble my brass.

I appreciate your input but why would i miss represent? i am not selling it just posting what i am doing. Sorry if you don't believe the results. i will try to find some real bad range brass and run a batch with pics

then you might believe.

Not trying to put a negative spin on your post, I use SS media method myself and am sold on it. Just trying to comment based on my own experience and temper expectations.

It could of course be that your tumbler could do this in the time you mentioned since it is in fact a different tumbler than mine, but I think if you had tumbled them in walnut for 2 hours before, you should say that so that someone like myself would not wonder.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#20]

One other constructive comment I can give is I notice that you are draining/rinsing out the brass at the kitchen sink (or what looks like the kitchen sink), I would suggest avoiding this location for this particular maneuver since this is when you will encounter the highest concentration of lead in your rinse solution. It is almost impossible to not splatter some of this stuff when you pour the dirty water out and you are risking possible contamination of your food source when you do this. HTH.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#21]

First, based on my own experience, those 500 cases of 223 looks too clean to be virgin fired brass. The "dirty” water being poured out after cleaning also looks too clean. I am guessing that you did tumble them for 2.5 hour to get them this clean but that they were perhaps tumbled previously without the SS media in your setup prior to the arrival of your media?

In my experience, the "virgin” fired brass always looks dirtier, and the "dirty” water should looks almost black and not slightly tainted as in your example….. So my guess is that it is truly possible to get fired brass that clean with your setup, but it takes more than 2.5 hours – just trying to keep expectations reasonable.

I appreciate your input but why would i miss represent? i am not selling it just posting what i am doing. Sorry if you don't believe the results. i will try to find some real bad range brass and run a batch with pics

then you might believe.

Not trying to put a negative spin on your post, I use SS media method myself and am sold on it. Just trying to comment based on my own experience and temper expectations.

It could of course be that your tumbler could do this in the time you mentioned since it is in fact a different tumbler than mine, but I think if you had tumbled them in walnut for 2 hours before, you should say that so that someone like myself would not wonder.

i actually thought the picture of the brass would be enuff. i wasn't stating anything. I showed the brass, how much i put in the container and how long i tumbled. what it looked

like after i was done plain and simple. sorry if you got confused or assumed something. I will note from now on when i post what condition the brass was in since pictures aren't enuff.

but if you look back one page and look at the last batch i did. those were 9mm once fired cases and were tumbled for 2.5 hours and they look the same. just fyi

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#22]
One other constructive comment I can give is I notice that you are draining/rinsing out the brass at the kitchen sink (or what looks like the kitchen sink), I would suggest avoiding this location for this particular maneuver since this is when you will encounter the highest concentration of lead in your rinse solution. It is almost impossible to not splatter some of this stuff when you pour the dirty water out and you are risking possible contamination of your food source when you do this. HTH.

Thanks it isn't a normal thing i just wanted to take some pics. thanks for the heads up i did scour the sink when i was done.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Electric Motor

I've looked at the stats for both motors, and it seems like I would be able to use this one instead of an Emerson 8000.

Any comments?

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#24]
Originally Posted By Redcat:
Electric Motor

I've looked at the stats for both motors, and it seems like I would be able to use this one instead of an Emerson 8000.

Any comments?

that looks like pretty much the  same thing. i may have to get one for my next build for my brother.  

ETA i just posted the motor cause that is the least expensive one i found locally.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Electric Motor

Any comments?

that looks like pretty much the  same thing. i may have to get one for my next build for my brother.  

ETA i just posted the motor cause that is the least expensive one i found locally.

It doesn't look like it has a fan on it. Have any overheating problems?

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Flamethrower:
Electric Motor

Any comments?

It doesn't look like it has a fan on it. Have any overheating problems?

i haven't had a problem yet, the motor does get a little warm but i can hole my hand on it.  i have only ran it for up to 2.5 hours. i was thinking of maybe putting a fan blade on it to draw air across it

but haven't done it  yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:23:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redcat] [#27]
Since I have no tools for welding I'll be building mine on wood.

Thoughts on these pillow block bearings?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:12:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#28]

Thanks!

those should work fine,

i just ordered some similar to those for my second one i am building for my brother.

i think they will run a little quieter.

as of now i have run mine about 20 hours with no problems. i have most of my brass done now  

ETA these are the ones i got at a pretty good price   pillow block bearings
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:22:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flamethrower] [#29]

Thanks!

those should work fine,

i just ordered some similar to those for my second one i am building for my brother.

i think they will run a little quieter.

as of now i have run mine about 20 hours with no problems. i have most of my brass done now  

ETA these are the ones i got at a pretty good price   pillow block bearings

I think those are the same one I got. They look ok. Can tell they are made in China. I think they should work ok as a low speed full duty cycle brearing
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#30]
update:

I finally found some 8" pipe to make a 8" tumbler drum. just finished it up. here are the pics. i used a 13" section of 8" pvc pipe, a cap and an 8 to 6" reducer –– it gives a bigger opening to pour the

media back in after rinsing.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]

i got my reducer and cap here  i used the lighter weight sewer pipe not the schedule 40,

the schedule 40 stuff is spendy that is why i went 8 instead of 10

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
now just paint it blue
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AL50bmgshooter:
now just paint it blue

i am a hornady guy so i will probably paint it red

i haven't drank the blue koolaid yet  

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]

i got my reducer and cap here  i used the lighter weight sewer pipe not the schedule 40,

the schedule 40 stuff is spendy that is why i went 8 instead of 10

Thanks Oddly that is the only size the carry.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:33:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice BIGGDAWG, have any idea of the capacity of that monster?  the container holds 2.6 gallons of water so it holds 1.5 gallons more than a thumler.
I am running up to 8 lbs of cases and i could run 10 i am pretty sure

How much media will that take?  I am using 10 lbs to start i may need 3 lbs more to keep to the same ratio as the thumler

Finally, how do you do the media seperation?

Thanks for the update.

Paint it any color you please.

Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I was thinking you would need something larger than a standard media seperator with your jumbo tumbler.

Guess I was wrong.

i just do half at a time  

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I was thinking you would need something larger than a standard media seperator with your jumbo tumbler.

Guess I was wrong.

i just do half at a time  

So maybe half right after all.

It seems you are most always right

The only problem i see now is when i have a small batch to do.

going to have to run it with a small batch with all that media to see what happens

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 11:27:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#43]
here I am doing my first batch in my 8" drum

i am going to do a small batch 2.7lbs of 223 with 10lbs media and 2.5 gallons water

i used 2.5 45 acp cases of lemi shine and 6 tbs dawn

as you can see in the pic this is right at 45lbs when i do my larger batches i will get total weight with them too

because you won't be using as much water.

i am going to check them and take pics at an hour then at 2 hours.

with this larger drum the drum speed went from 75 rpm to 60rpm with the 4" pulley i am using.

These cases are twice fired deprimed only after shooting. previous to this shooting they were tumbled in walnut and corn cob before loading

ETA here are a couple of pics after 1 hour mostly clean and shiny pp still have a little carbon in the corners,
should be done in another hour, my average tumble time with my other drum was 2 - 2.5 hours.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 3:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#44]
here they are after 2 hours 15 minutes, look good enuff.

conclusion for me is 2 hours or so up to 6lbs of cases over 6lbs of cases 2.5-3 hours

i also reduced my lemi shine in this load compared to what i was using, i had been using

1 tbs + this time i used 2.5 45 acp cases looks to be just right my other brass has a slight orange tint to it

i think it was from too much lemi shine.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:45:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#46]
Thanks Dryflash3,

i did a second load today it was a big one 9.46 lbs it had previously been tumbled in corn cob and walnut.

i sized them all yesterday then wet tumbled for 2 hours to get the lube off. i think that 9lbs is max with the amount of

media that i have. total weight was right at 50lbs so i am going to call 9 lbs my max for now. that is roughly 700 cases of 223

here is that batch

Link Posted: 7/5/2011 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#48]
I did a load of 7lbs of 223 brass tonight about 500 cases at one time. I took pics along the way just to show my process

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_3484.jpg

How does that separator work on getting the pins out of the .223 cases?

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:48:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#49]
Originally Posted By Worriedman:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_3484.jpg

How does that separator work on getting the pins out of the .223 cases?

It works good. you just fill the bucket with water then dump the cases in,

then i stir them with my hand getting most of the loose pins to drop out. then i close the separator and tumble back and forth for a minute or so, then pick it up and shake it to get most of the

water off and if there are any straggler pins they come out too. With the amount of bras i am doing i basically poor half them in the separator do them then do the second half

on a load of 7-8 lbs i have been averaging 6 or 7 cases with 2 pins stuck in the primer holes but yesterday i only had one case.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#50]
I need one!!! I could run through my cases a lot faster
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top