Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:51:19 PM EDT
ok so I bought some 180 gr lead boolits from Dardas and am about to start making some loads. However I've allready ran in a problem. My lee book is telling me to load 5.2 to 5.5 gr of Unique, which is fine. But the auto disk number they're telling me to use is way off. Not a big deal, but I seem to remember something about Unique being changed or modified and I just wanted to make sure that I can still use this load data?   I usually wouldnt worry so much, but I've always heard you dont screw around with .40 S&W.
Any advise?
Also the only powders I have is unique or HP38 and I dont want to buy more powder. I'll be shooting a taurus pt101 which is a beretta knock off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
according to the lee book I have the .57 disk is supposed to throw 5.2 grains of unique.  It doesn't it throws 4.4 consistantly.  So I've had to up it to .71, which throws 5.5 grains.  My question is 5.5 grains of unique to much powder for a 180 grain lead bullet?  the book says 5.2 to 5.5 is well within safe ranges, I just want to make sure its not wrong on that too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hook up a uniflow on it using Hornady's PTX linkage set up. You'll be able to dial in your drops within a 1/10 of a grain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Great advice guys thanks!  still wondering though  is 5.5 grains of unique to much powder for a 180 grain lead bullet
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great advice guys thanks!  still wondering though  is 5.5 grains of unique to much powder for a 180 grain lead bullet

Is the question you are asking along the lines of "if I threw a charge of 5.5gr of Unique from a can that was made 20 years ago, is it different from a 5.5 gr charge that was from a can made within the last year?"

I don't know the answer, just hoping to clarify the question.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm using 5.3 gr of "New Formula" Unique with a 175gr lead TC bullet for an average velocity of 990 fps out of a Beretta 96.

I think 5.5 would be hot for a lead 180 in 40.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Check your reloading manuals.  I say "manuals" because you need more than one to cover all the bullets you may need data for.  5.5gr of Unique should be well within tolerance, but always check your manuals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check your reloading manuals.  I say "manuals" because you need more than one to cover all the bullets you may need data for.  5.5gr of Unique should be well within tolerance, but always check your manuals.

There you go.  Manuals.  As for Unique changing, burn rate is the same, they just improved it so that burns with less smoke.  For example Alliant still posts loads for the old standby .45acp load at 6.5 grains, and I still use 6.0 grains.  Don't sound like you should be worried about a hotter powder, just cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm using 5.3 gr of "New Formula" Unique with a 175gr lead TC bullet for an average velocity of 990 fps out of a Beretta 96.

I think 5.5 would be hot for a lead 180 in 40.

Judging from this man's experience I would look at 5.0 grains as being a full power charge, maybe less. He's getting 990 fps with a 175 grain bullet. 990 fps is moving pretty fast in my opinion. I would be looking at 950 fps as a full power load with a 180 grain bullet. That powder charge will need to drop to make that happen.

If you don't have a chronograph see if someone at the range will launch a couple of your rounds through their's. I had a bad experience letting someone else shoot through mine. They paid for most of the damages then moved away.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll do 5.2 as starting point and go up from there, thanks guys!!!  Lots of help!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top