Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
in my "go to" chest rig i have 9 mags loaded ready to go with a variety of 60gr V max, 62gr SS109's and 62gr SS109s stagered with tracers, these all shoot very well out of my 1/7 14.5in M4
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Lately I have been thinking more towards having about 200 rounds of a 60, 63, or 64 grain soft point, then have some 75g BTHP rounds for back up.  

I am no expert, but I think the soft points would work better for someone behind cover.  Before the feed ramps would 'lead up', I would then be out of soft points, and then switch to an OTM, or ideally a Barnes 60g or 70g TSX instead of either, but there is the cost factor.  

Of course all of this is really over thinking the situation beyond just have some ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a bull shit gel test comparing nothing, the Hornady opens faster, creates greater hydraulic shock, greater wound cavity, and retains more mass with just as much penetration, you don't see Sierra loading HD rounds with their 77gr SMK's do you and I'm sure the Military know the hornady round is superior as well but cost to much to change . . . 6.8mm bla, bla, bla . . .There is many more articles backing up that the 77gr SMK & CC are not even in the top runnings for a valid service round compared to the better rounds of today.

So you think that the works of Dr. G.K. Roberts and B&T Ammo Labs are “bull shit,” huh?  That statement alone demonstrates your ignorance of the subject matter. As a further demonstration, your  statement above is full of contradictory, misleading, and outright false information.  

Who do you think did the 6.8 OTM jel test and said the Hornady OTM was better than the SMK & Nosler CC(Custom Competition)  for HD/SHTF/Duty ammo, I know the title is best 5.56 SHTF ammo but who wants to shoot an inferior round anyway when they have a 6.8 with better ammo to use instead, and it looks like the Hornady OTM jel test I have seen it opens fine and frags faster, creates a larger wound cavity, and has deeper penetration, not to mention much better barrier penetration than either of the other 2 OTM bullets.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
when the SHTF the only ammo available will be nato stuff. 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62 I'm buying 5.56 75g tap. so my brass will be for training now and ill just load to what the book seize for 75g Hornady BTHP
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:01:03 AM EDT
[#5]
OH I'm not saying not to have a good 5.56 because that I do and 10K rounds of ammo to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a RRA medium HB that I used as the base of my affordable MK12 Mod 1 clone. I had the barrel cut back to 18 inches and it is a real shooter. I wanted to use one powder for both my M118LR and MK 262 ammo. I really like extruded powders and they shoot very well in my .308s. I got decent accuracy when using the extruded powders in my MK 262 clone loads but not the speed I wanted. I searched high and low for TAC but it is rare as hens teeth in my parts so I setteld on AA2520. I prefer the Noslers over all the other heavy OTM bullets because it shoots slightly better in my rifle then anything else but the Hornady bullet isn't too far behind. I had a problem finding the Noslers in bulk when I needed them a while back and I got tired of waiting so I was able to stock up the Hornady. My recipe gives me 2850 FPS from the muzzle with no signs of pressure , I chronoed the ammo in 84 degree heat on a humid day. I molly my bullets so I think thats why I am not getting any pressure signs but I leave the brass on the ground anyway. I settled on 24.5 grains and I have been able to hold 1/2 MOA out to 300 yards. I have only shot steel further out so I don't know how well it groups but it is plent accurate.

I would just stock up on one weight of bullet so you don't have to keep track of too many ballistic tables...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a report on some recent M193 (55 gn FMJ-BT) gelatin tests here:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/US%20M193%20bare%20gelatin.pdf
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top