Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 8:37:36 AM EDT
I've only ever had budget folding knives that do their job, but now I'd like to have an OTF auto.

I bought a Schrade Viper last wee and little did I know, it has to be manually retracted (link to Schrade Viper)

I would like to get a true OTF auto around $200.  Spending $400-500 on an auto seems a bit steep for me, so I'm sure Microtech and Benchmade is out of the picture.

Any info/advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
you should be able to find a lighly used Microtech Ultratech for $200

The HK Turmoil used to be a nice OTF for under $200 new but they are discontinued. It was made by Benchmade.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Gear Barrel they have pretty good prices but sell quickly.

Also if you qualify for a Public Safety Discount you can get a new Microtech UT for $200.00 Shipped from Micro tech. Benchmade also does pubic safety pricing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get the Lightning from BladeHQ for about $40.00.  It is a double-action OTF (it will fire and retract using the button).  The blade will eventually get loose and rattle in the carrier, but it is fun to use until that happens.

Maybe you can't, I searched their website and don't see it for sale anymore.

Looks like this website has them in stock.  I've never ordered from them so use at your own risk.
Blade Play - Lightning OTF
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can get the Lightning from BladeHQ for about $40.00.  It is a double-action OTF (it will fire and retract using the button).  The blade will eventually get loose and rattle in the carrier, but it is fun to use until that happens.

Maybe you can't, I searched their website and don't see it for sale anymore.

Looks like this website has them in stock.  I've never ordered from them so use at your own risk.
Blade Play - Lightning OTF
View Quote
I will try this route.  If the quality is not there, I will probably go with a Microtech Ultratech.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I will try this route.  If the quality is not there, I will probably go with a Microtech Ultratech.
View Quote
Well I can tell you right now in no way is the Lightning of similar quality to a Microtech.  However it is cheap and a dual-action knife.  I own several of them that I just leave in the cars, bags, etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I can tell you right now in no way is the Lightning of similar quality to a Microtech.  However it is cheap and a dual-action knife.  I own several of them that I just leave in the cars, bags, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally understand that, I'm not comparing them at all.

If it doesn't satisfy my needs, this is what I'll buy:

Microtech Ultratech Tanto Knife
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe to carry in mi blade can’t be over 3 inches and I couldn’t find a microtech to fit that

I ended buying a benchmade mini auto Stryker for 200 and just came in yesterday.  Its my first benchmade and most expensive knife I’ve bought and now see why they are so popular and expensive
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I believe to carry in mi blade can’t be over 3 inches and I couldn’t find a microtech to fit that
View Quote
Microtech UTX-70
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've only ever had budget folding knives that do their job, but now I'd like to have an OTF auto.

I bought a Schrade Viper last wee and little did I know, it has to be manually retracted (link to Schrade Viper)

I would like to get a true OTF auto around $200.  Spending $400-500 on an auto seems a bit steep for me, so I'm sure Microtech and Benchmade is out of the picture.

Any info/advice is appreciated.
View Quote

The HK Turmoil used is what I went with. Got it at $200 or so, and it's bench made quality and reputation with a different name on it. Works for me, fires hard and retracts easily. Although I may be interested in selling it as I want a double sided blade now...
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that ultratech is one I have. M390 blade. holds edge and is sharp and made well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The HK Turmoil used is what I went with. Got it at $200 or so, and it's bench made quality and reputation with a different name on it. Works for me, fires hard and retracts easily. Although I may be interested in selling it as I want a double sided blade now...
View Quote
It's too bad they (Benchmade) discontinued these.  I bought the Tulmult for $159.00 from BladeHQ.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top