Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 2:24:47 PM EDT
Colorado legalized switchblades/auto knives recently and I'd like to buy my first one. A local gun shop is selling Hogue OTF(out the front) and side folding auto knives and they seems really well made. Just wondering if anyone knows about these and what the word might be on them? I'm also wondering how strong the lock is on the OTF models. Can you stab/slam it into a block of wood or tree with out it collapsing on you or breaking? What other brand should I look at? I can spend up to $300 or so.
Any information you can educate me with is greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Microtech if you want an OTF

ETA: if lock strength is important a side opener would be better, or a single action OTF
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Hogue seems to make a quality knife though they are hard to find in my area so I haven't handled one.

OTF knives are cool but less handle ergonomic than side folders. Benchmade, ProTech as well as Microtech make high quality autos. Look at the BM Rift, AFO II or Presidio and in ProTech, look at the TR-3, TR-4 if large size desired. Too many Microtech models to cover.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like otf only because I use my knives hard sometimes.
 I'm a big benchmade fan! Love the afo2. Simple and strong.
  Got a protech strider auto. Not a huge fan of strider so I thought I'd use it for edc and beat on it.
  Turns out it is very duarable and is holding up great! Really like the quality of the knife.  I've batoned campfire kindling multiple times along with a handful of other hard uses.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Microtech, Benchmade & CRKT come to mind.  What will be your primary use?  Is size a factor?  Definitely a folder would be more durable.  For Benchmade, check out the Adamas auto.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of these and it is pretty sweet, and not that expensive.

https://www.knifeworks.com/gerber-applegate-fairbairn-covert-combo-edge-w-nylon-sheath.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
My advise is to get one with a lock, it keeps you from sticking your hand in your pocket only to find out the blade was open! Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks gentleman! My main use will be EDC and working in a warehouse so cutting tape, cardboard, picking out splinters haha! Food prep sometimes and camping chores with some wood whittling.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks gentleman! My main use will be EDC and working in a warehouse so cutting tape, cardboard, picking out splinters haha! Food prep sometimes and camping chores with some wood whittling.
View Quote
That's a fine line for size then.  You wouldn't want one that is too big to be in your pocket all day, at the same time with what you want to do you don't want too small.  You may want to consider two knives then.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO the best bang-for-the-buck auto is a Microtech LUDT. Many colors, etc and nicely priced for a Microtech. Very quality and very solid option IMO.  This coming from experience with many different brands, including about every OTF and auto from  Microtech.  On the OTF's, Its may fav, but I'd avoid that platform if I was going for an "all-in" for a single EDC option.  If you gotta have only one OTF for EDC, look for a single action OTF (that requires manually pulling the charging handle down to retract the blade). MT HALO comes to mind, but its huge, big $$$, and has no pocket clip.  

There's a couple of other production single-action OTF's readily available, one is Paragon. I'm not impressed with its general feel, but its the spring is WAY too wimpy IMO.  However, it is a single action OTF made of good materials with good finish, etc.  That said, I never carry mine.  Protech has a single-action OTF also, but haven't handed any of them.  Their other autos are great though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for Microtech for OTF and Benchmade AFO II & Protech TR-3.

I don't think the Microtech would handle much "hard use" and abuse, but I'm sure it would be just fine for normal everyday use.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Pro Tech TR3 is thin and light and opens strong as fuck, Benchmade Auto-Presidio is ok but heavy. Need to try a Spyderco auto as I prefer their manual knives.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two Benchmade autos including an AFOII.

What I has been my EDC for the last year and a half?

Boker Kalashnidov

Awesome knife for $40

Opens fast and locks up tight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#13]
What’s your intended method of carry?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up getting a Hogue OTF and and a Hogue side folding auto. They gave a great deal for buying more they one! They seems very solid and strong! I'd post pictures but photobucket won't allow me to unless I pay them a monthly fee......

I'll be getting other makes and models as my budget allows! These are so damn fun!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking for the same, you didn't happen to pick yours up in Springs?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't use your good knife for cardboard, it dulls the heck out of it.  Good way to wreck a knife.  Buy a box cutter and keep the good knife in your pocket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm looking for the same, you didn't happen to pick yours up in Springs?
View Quote
Fort Collins. Rocky Mountain SHooters supply is a dealer now. They had lots of them!
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorites Pro-Tech TR3
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't use your good knife for cardboard, it dulls the heck out of it.  Good way to wreck a knife.  Buy a box cutter and keep the good knife in your pocket.
View Quote
Not if its good steel like Elmax or M390
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Boker Kalashnidov

Awesome knife for $40

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/boker-kalashnikov-01kals75-black-333442.JPG
View Quote
Does it have a safety ?
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Replying for the Boker-

They do not have safeties but the buttons have a long push (if that makes sense) and have to be pressed deliberately.
I have 2, a FDE one like the pic and an all black warnclif blade. The coating on my black one is starting to wear through, but other than that, they are great little knives for the price.
I got mine from bladehq and have been impressed with them for what they cost.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep hearing great things about Hogue and their build quality, I really want to give them a try.  I've been on a little "auto" buying spree.  I've got an older Microtech DA/SOCOM and a few Benchmades back home, but I recently picked up a couple Protech's and I'm pretty impressed.  My first OTF, although it's single action (Dark Angel), is pretty decent; the other is their Godfather, side opener.  I have a couple Bokers, a couple Kershaws, a Mikov and the Benchmade Adamas on the way and Microtech Ultratech tan camo double edged OTF on backorder.

As much as I really wanted to get a BM Infidel, I may just go with the Hogue for what looks like a more robust design...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Replying for the Boker-

They do not have safeties but the buttons have a long push (if that makes sense) and have to be pressed deliberately.
I have 2, a FDE one like the pic and an all black warnclif blade. The coating on my black one is starting to wear through, but other than that, they are great little knives for the price.
I got mine from bladehq and have been impressed with them for what they cost.
View Quote
+1 to this ^

Due to the design, I don't think it will come open in your pocket.

And it is a solid piece with plenty of spring.

Buck for buck, I don't see how you beat this knife at the sale price for EDC.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seriously? And keep the good knife in your pocket for what? Showing it off to your friends?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Seriously? And keep the good knife in your pocket for what? Showing it off to your friends?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't use your good knife for cardboard, it dulls the heck out of it.  Good way to wreck a knife.  Buy a box cutter and keep the good knife in your pocket.
Ha.  I go after cardboard to test my edges.  It provides good feedback to how sharp they actually are so I know when to hit the strop.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ha.  I go after cardboard to test my edges.  It provides good feedback to how sharp they actually are so I know when to hit the strop.
View Quote
I use my auto(right pocket)as my "sharp" knife and my Delica4(left pocket) as my working knife that cuts everything. It is usually on the dull side from hitting metal. I'm not going to carry a third for cardboard.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Boker Kalashnidov

Awesome knife for $40

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35314/boker-kalashnikov-01kals75-black-333442.JPG
View Quote
I have a Benchmade Mini Reflex and the Boker Kalashnikov.

The Kalashnikov is in my pocket every day and gets used hard. It's a great knife.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not if its good steel like Elmax or M390
View Quote
Does anybody make an Elmax switchblade? I don’t think it would handle the shock of opening well, it’s pretty brittle. There’s been a few cracked blades on assisted opening knives featuring Elmax.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 3:59:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does anybody make an Elmax switchblade? I don't think it would handle the shock of opening well, it's pretty brittle. There's been a few cracked blades on assisted opening knives featuring Elmax.
View Quote
Both my new Microtech OTFs are M390. But according to Microtech, they will substitute Elmax in when M390 is not available.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:03:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Forget the auto. An Emerson with the wave can be deployed faster without the worries of opening accidentally.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Meyerco x-ray.  Can't find one in Alabama to save my life though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 4:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Forget the auto. An Emerson with the wave can be deployed faster without the worries of opening accidentally.
View Quote
If you can deploy an OTF accidentally you must be seriously accident prone. A side firing with out a lock though, is prone to that. Can't comment on the speed of your Emerson but I can say that my OTFs deploy just as fast as my spring assisted Kershaw. The difference is that my hand already has a full grip around the OTFs while I have to hold a side opener in a way the does not block the blade meaning that I have to then spend extra time to get a full grip on them once the blade is deployed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm also wondering how strong the lock is on the OTF models. Can you stab/slam it into a block of wood or tree with out it collapsing on you or breaking? What other brand should I look at? I can spend up to $300 or so.
Any information you can educate me with is greatly appreciated! Many thanks!
View Quote
It will cost more than $300, but the DKW Sandshark is the strongest OTF out there.

https://youtu.be/KEbKF-4yYao
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top