Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 9:17:17 PM EDT
Can anybody help me with the translating  of the writing/symbols on this sword? I got it from my 88 year old neighbor, who just simply did not want it around anymore. He did not offer any info on it, if he even knew any to begin with.

How can I tell if this is a real Japanese sword or a Cheaper Than Dirt "Samurai" sword? Any way to tell how old it is if it is a real Japanese sword?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ETA: The screw, pin, or whatever originally held the handle to the tang is missing & someone installed a hardware store screw & nut to hold it together. Any idea what would of originally been in there, & where might one get a replacement?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
@DK-Prof
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going with "real deal" and possibly very valuable real deal

In for the exspurts
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a "tan" stamp. If I recall correctly it implies that it is either a partial hand made or fully hand made blade.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The scabbard's bad spot. It is missing a chunk out of it, & I think there is something missing all the way around on the other side of the loop. Attachment Attached File

Picture showing the grip & what looks like a dragon under the wrap. The dragon is on both side of the handle. One side it is on the lower end, the other side is on the higher end.
Attachment Attached File

The cross guard off the blade.
Attachment Attached File

The tip of the sword. From what little I have read, it almost looks like a Chu Tip.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is a "tan" stamp. If I recall correctly it implies that it is either a partial hand made or fully hand made blade.
View Quote
What is it that you are referring to as the "tan" stamp, this?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is it that you are referring to as the "tan" stamp, this?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53325/20170924_205937-317355.JPG" target="_blank">https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53325/20170924_205937-317355.JPG
I believe so, went and looked online and another site says it's a Sekai stamp? Haven't played with gunto blades in a loong time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Bah! My memory is going. It's a Showa stamp.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
....& I am assuming you meant a tang stamp instead of tan?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, Tan. Shows where it was made. ETA: Look here for more sword info
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What you have is a WW2-era Japanese military katana blade.  Because huge numbers of blades were made during WW2, there are many different types.  They fall into the following general categories:

A) Machine made blades.  These are NCO blades, and have a serial number stamped into them.  If in good condition and with matching scabbard, handle, etc. (furniture) they might be worth around $800

B) Hand-made oil-quenched blades.  These were mass-produced in large numbers, but are technically hand-made, in that each is hand-forged, and signed by the smith.  But, the "smith" could be a prison inmate, who signed the same of the supervising swordsmith.  All will have arsenal stamps.  In excellent condition with matching furniture, one might be worth around $1500 or even more.  

C) Hand-made water-quenched blades.  These were also made in large numbers, but are fully "traditionally" made, just like Japanese blades of centuries past.  This category can get very tricky.  Some might have arsenal stamps, but many will not.  Some might have been made in very small numbers by highly regarded smiths.  As such, value can vary enormously.   In excellent condition, some might be found for as little as $2000 or so (if an unknown smith or with an arsenal stamp), and others could be worth tens of thousands of dollars.

What you have probably falls into category B, but could conceivably be at the "bottom" of category C. Because it has an arsenal stamp, it is likely an oil-quenched blade, and not a water-quenched blade.  But, it is POSSIBLE that it's a traditionally made water-quenched blade.  The only way to be sure is to do further digging into the actual signature on the blade.  If it's a smith who is listed in various reference works, you could possibly get a better idea of whether this was a well-known smith who would have made traditional blades, or not.

Most likely -in my opinion (and remember that I am not an expert, but merely a well informed amateur) - this is probably a mass-produced and oil-quenched blade.  Because it is not in good polish (and may have been subjected to destructive cleaning/grinding), and it doesn't have the correct war-time furniture, the value is not particularly high - I'd say about $800 maybe.  It's one of those things that is obviously worth holding onto if it is a family heirloom, but probably doesn't have much value otherwise.

The problem is that restoring it (i.e. buying/making new furniture and getting it polished), even if done on the cheap, would exceed the value of the blade.
View Quote
What would the correct war time furniture look like, & what is it that is on mine?

I was kind of hoping somebody here could put a name on it, basically translate the symbols to a name. I spoke with a Oriental lady about the markings  & she said the first (top) symbol was a first name & the remaining 2 were a last name, but she could not tell me the name.

What would be the correct thing to use as an attachment of the handle to the tang, besides the hardware store screw & nut that is currently used?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top