Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 11:11:50 AM EDT
Knifeworks has these on closeout. D2 steel field and tactical knives from $90 to $106. They have also have AUS-8 but I was curious if anybody has messed with these because they look beefy with nice fit and finish.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a D2 Echo from them for my wife.

Scary sharp, very nice fit/finish, excellent quality Kydex sheath (not molded plastic), very ergonomic (if a little heavy) scales.

If you want to use the spine to strike ferocerium don't get the coated one.

Excellent value, excellent vendor, excellent steel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know! 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked everywhere for the P-1 Combat model with no luck. I ended buying the TOPS Wild Pig Hunter and am happy. I would probably still buy the P-1 if I found one though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Knifeworks put their Kizlyar Supreme knives on closeout starting a few months ago. I'd heard of them before, but knew very little about them really.

I started reading up on the company and looking at the different models they made. I found several that I really liked. I saw nothing but good reviews out there for Kizlyar Supreme knives also, so I decided to purchase a few from Knifeworks yesterday. They should be here later in the week.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They are excellent. And better in hand than in pics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Knifeworks put their Kizlyar Supreme knives on closeout starting a few months ago. I'd heard of them before, but knew very little about them really.

I started reading up on the company and looking at the different models they made. I found several that I really liked. I saw nothing but good reviews out there for Kizlyar Supreme knives also, so I decided to purchase a few from Knifeworks yesterday. They should be here later in the week.
View Quote
That's where I came across them too. Which did you order? 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#7]
The holllw handle survival knives remond me of my childhood, but I also remember how the blades got loose too. Supposedly these are solid but who wants to risk it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's where I came across them too. Which did you order? 
View Quote
I picked up a Maximus fixed blade in satin D2 steel, a blue/gray Biker Z folder w/D2 steel blade, and a Bloke X w/D2 steel blade. I got all three yesterday in the mail.

Here are some pics of the Maximus. It is extremely sharp out of the box, and fit and finish is excellent. I'll get some pics up of the other two later on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks really nice! I might give in and order something today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#10]
You guys have been busy! I went back to KW to look again and half of the D2's were gone! I ordered the D2 Satin Vendetta after giving the Enzo a lot of thought.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Should have bought another ESEE or TOPS. Waited all day and had to wait for the third mail truck to come to deliver it. That's right I had mail delivered three separate times by different drivers. I unceremoniously unbox it and wipe some excess oil off the blade. Then I went out back and tried it out on some cheap dry as Hell, left over from last year firewood. This knife does not like the baton action. First it wasn't keen on going through much. Then I tried to wiggle the blade from side to side to see if that would help split the wood and instead I saw the blade flex though thankfully it did not become bent. Finally by the time I got it back out of the wood the handle had come loose. Not like it will fall off but the scales pivot on the rear rivets and allow the front to move up and down a half millimeter. So small it can't be seen as much as heard and felt in the hand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Also the nice edge it had out of the box dulled during my short failed baton test. I cojld show you pictures but the pictures won't upload, so even pictures of this knife fail. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#14]
So a few critiques on your critique.

1.  A knife done right will flex and return to straight.  

2.  The scales part is worrisome that the rivets/etc aren't up to par.  Frustrating, but fixable.

3.  D2 shouldn't have lost it's edge quickly like that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I commented on the flex only because my ESEE's and TOPS haven't done that. The scales can be fixed and the dulling makes me wonder if it really is D2 or a crappy Russian version. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to admit I like the sheath though. It's MOLLE compatible, dimples in the scales allow the sheath to lightly lock onto it, and the retention strap can be removed or reversed because it is held securely by velcro.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I commented on the flex only because my ESEE's and TOPS haven't done that. The scales can be fixed and the dulling makes me wonder if it really is D2 or a crappy Russian version. 
View Quote
D2 is cheap these days.  Don't know why they would lie about that.  Their heat treat is probably sub par or the edge they put on it wasn't great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the edge was probably too thin. It reminds me of the edges on CS tantos. I'm also trying to figure out a solution to the scales being loose.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#19]
New post in the name of being fair.  The piece of wood had a knot in it and is why it was tough going. I managed to get through it with my BOB but afterwards it was just as sharp as was when I went into the wood and several more pieces after that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was reading up on Kizlyar Supreme, I came across a page with a steel chart for a ton of the brands that this website sells. Info is pretty limited on Kizlyar Supreme, but this page states that their D2 steel is sources from Germany.

Steel specs

Attachment Attached File

I will say that so far I like the fixed blade KS knife that I got, but wasn't very impressed with the two folders. Both KS and Knifeworks show photos of both knives that clearly shows "Caged Bearings" laser engraved on the blades. When I unboxed both, I quickly saw this engraving missing from mine, and both have nylon washers instead. Both open like shit, even after disassembling, cleaning, and lubing the pivot and washers with Krytox grease.

My final opinion is that the fixed blade knives seem pretty decent, but I wouldn't pay full price for one. I would skip the folders all together.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Gave mine to my Dad to replace the nearly 50 year old bayonet in his tool box. Wasn't much left of it.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top