Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/10/2017 7:13:42 PM EDT
Edited: OK, I see what I did.  I put the TLDR summary at the end but you guys want it up front.  So, I moved stuff around to be more reader friendly.

The short of it: (I apologize if this appears as a big paragraph.  I keep putting it in list form and Arfcom keeps putting it back to paragraph.)
Need new small pocket EDC
Around 3" or less closed length
Thin, 3/8 inch thick handle or less
Around 2 oz or less
Liner or frame lock
Easy one handed operation (thumb stud for manual operation, spring assist or automatic)
Good textured grip surface, but not so rough it rips up my pocket or the other stuff in there (I like the Cinder for that, the Air Ranger was like carrying a bastard file)
Prefer tanto, sheepsfoot, spey or drop point blade
Plain or partially serrated edge
Blade material: open to suggestion
Removable carry clip or no carry clip
No deployment lock
US made preferred
Quality build, smooth operation (can't imagine you guys would recommend anything else)
Price? I am open.  It is a daily use thing so I am not looking for an expensive collectible I won't use, but I am willing to pay for quality and the right item.  The ones listed in the explanation below probably give some guidance. Say $8-$200.

The long of it:

Not doing anything heavy duty; this is just light duty pocket carry.  Paper, tape, cardboard, food, etc. Desk job kind of person.  If I am going outdoors I have plenty of larger, "work" knives. (Links are to Amazon just for ease of pictures.  If better prices out there for your recommendation, let me know please.)  

Carried CRKT K.I.S.S. (briefly) and Gerber Air Ranger (regularly).  CRKT nice, just not quite right, not sure why.  The Gerber Air Ranger was great, just too big for what I need to EDC right now.  If I could find something similar to that in the right size, might be perfect.  

Then for a long while I was carrying a UTX-70.  Generally worked OK, but any gunk on the blade and it would not fire or retract right.  Always had to be cautious using on food.  Couldn't use it the way I might normally for fear of breaking it.  When my wife stole the UTX-70 for her own purposes, I did not stop her.  Opportunity to get something that works better for my current needs.  I did like the size of the UTX for the pocket though.

Started looking online but overwhelmed by options, not finding that one that is perfect for me yet.  

Went to Cabelas to check a few out.  Walked out with a Kershaw Cinder.  Trying to match size of UTX-70 kinda.  It is a great little knife for what it is and what it costs, but it is only a stop gap measure until I find a little better length.

The Kershaw Tickfaw looks promising, many of the features I seek, but haven't been able to handle one.  For as cheap as it is, maybe I will order one just to try.  Maybe it is too cheap.  

The Kershaw Chive ticks a lot of the right boxes, but when I handled it at the store, it was way too slick for comfortable one handed operation, almost dropped it.

The ESEE Candiru looks promising.  Thin enough I might be able to pocket carry comfortably, but I am thinking the length might be prohibitive. Maybe too thin with no handle.  Might pick one up anyways, but probably need a folder.

Have a fair few Gerbers for working knives.  No real brand loyalty though. Know I generally don't like the look and width of Spyderco, understand they are good quality.  

As I am writing this I am really wondering if I just get the Chive with the damascus blade and have some cross hatching done to the handle.  Blade is a bit thin at the point though and don't like the tip lock. Maybe that is removable.  

Please help!
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Kershaw Skyline, or...Kershaw Skyline blem from Kershawguy.com.   End thread.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It's the little knife that acts like a big knife.  Dragonfly.

Dragonfly H1 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kershaw Skyline, or...Kershaw Skyline blem from Kershawguy.com.   End thread.
View Quote

I looked at those.  Nice, but closed length about 1.25" too long for what I want. Appreciate the site reference will check it out.

ETA: This seems to be my main issue, too long closed.  Plenty of good options if I bumped up to about 4"+ closed.  Would really prefer shorter considering what all has to fit in the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's the little knife that acts like a big knife.  Dragonfly.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4242/35315094140_d4663044a9_h.jpgDragonfly H1 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote
Those do look nice, but even if I got past my dislike of Spyderco's generally too wide for me closed design (the leaf shaped blade), the lock back is a deal breaker.  I noticed the Chicago while looking at the Dragonfly though.  That might be a consideration.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kershaw Blur, you won't be disappointed
View Quote
Bigger than OP is looking for and that grip texture is [b]rough![/] I agree that it's a great knife for the price but I haven't carried mine forever.

The Kershaw Zing has really impressed me for a "cheap little knife." I wish I would have ordered a few more. Check it out and see what you think, OP.

Disclaimer: It doesn't meet all of your requirements.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Kershaw leek
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bigger than OP is looking for and that grip texture is [b]rough![/] I agree that it's a great knife for the price but I haven't carried mine forever.

The Kershaw Zing has really impressed me for a "cheap little knife." I wish I would have ordered a few more. Check it out and see what you think, OP.

Disclaimer: It doesn't meet all of your requirements.
View Quote
Kinda like the Leek.  Bit long and slick handle surface.  When I was looking at it though, one of the suggested alternatives was a Kershaw Cathode.  Hadn't seen that one yet. More of the Chive size.

So many variations.  I feel like I am going to end up buying a lot more knives with this thread than I had planned on, possibly none that are what I set out looking for.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know these next two are still a little bit bigger than what you want but have you looked at the Kershaw Skyline or Ontario Rat 1?

Both are very nice and I've owned and carried both.
View Quote
Just looked at the Skyline tonight and I have been fighting the want to get a Rat for awhile. I was hoping the Rat II would be the right size but was surprised when I saw it was still over 4" when closed, not much shorter than the Rat 1.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]

I got that gerber back in 2013, still carry it. Finally got around to sharpening it again. I'd buy another again if I could find it. Only complaint is after all these years it's got a bit of blade wiggle, and I could prolly tighten it up if it bothered me that much.

But I think it's bigger than what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/421218_3023134472832_1600640299_n.jpg?oh=b08d7e431246914368fa886d29e6d369&oe=5A5A6B93

I got that gerber back in 2013, still carry it. Finally got around to sharpening it again. I'd buy another again if I could find it. Only complaint is after all these years it's got a bit of blade wiggle, and I could prolly tighten it up if it bothered me that much.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/421218_3023134472832_1600640299_n.jpg?oh=b08d7e431246914368fa886d29e6d369&oe=5A5A6B93

Yeah no.  If that's the Combat Folder, way too big for current purposes.

On my radar, approaches the mark, but still little big all around for what I think I want, but I know they are top notch. I like the G10 version.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#14]
This fits your criteria, but SOG knives look like trash to me. I had one of their trident folders back in the day. It was ok I guess.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/knives/micron-2-0-bead-blasted-clip-point.html

ETA: the blade is only .05 inches thick, and made in China... I wouldn't trust it for any heavy duty work. Lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This fits your criteria, but SOG knives look like trash to me. I had one of their trident folders back in the day. It was ok I guess.

https://www.sogknives.com/type/knives/micron-2-0-bead-blasted-clip-point.html
View Quote
I know what you mean.  Lock back though, definite deal breaker.  Have heard good things about the Sog Flash I too. Its close on the requirements except for the stupid deployment lock.  Just something about it...
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Benchmade 482 Megumi

http://www.benchmade.com/manual-opening-knives/482.html

2.48" non serrated blade (0.104" thick)  (Chicago carry legal for what it's worth)
3.28" closed length
.46" thick
1.85 oz
Nak Lok (one hand closing) (Nak Lok is basically a push button liner lock)
Thumb stud one hand opening
Clip point / drop point blade
CPM S30V steel
No clip
No deployment lock
US made knife & steel
Cocobolo Wood & Carbon Fiber grips
Excellent build quality & smooth operating (It's a genuine work of art)
$245 list/ $210 retail

My only complaint about it is it has no clip, which you don't want anyway.
Since you're open to a liner/frame lock, I assume you probably don't care about ambidextrous operation.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Edited: OK, I see what I did.  I put the TLDR summary at the end but you guys want it up front.  So, I moved stuff around to be more reader friendly.

The short of it:
Need new small pocket EDC
    Around 3" or less closed length Thin, less than a half inch thick handleAround 2 oz or lessLiner or frame lockEasy one handed operation (thumb stud for manual operation, spring assist or automatic)Good textured grip surface, but not so rough it rips up my pocket or the other stuff in there (I like the Cinder for that, the Air Ranger was like carrying a bastard file)Prefer tanto, sheepsfoot, spey or drop point bladePlain or partially serrated edgeBlade material: open to suggestionRemovable carry clip or no carry clipNo deployment lockUS made preferredQuality build, smooth operation (can't imagine you guys would recommend anything else)Price? I am open.  It is a daily use thing so I am not looking for an expensive collectible I won't use, but I am willing to pay for quality and the right item.  The ones listed in the explanation below probably give some guidance. Say $8-$200.  

The long of it:

Not doing anything heavy duty; this is just light duty pocket carry.  Paper, tape, cardboard, food, etc. Desk job kind of person.  If I am going outdoors I have plenty of larger, "work" knives. (Links are to Amazon just for ease of pictures.  If better prices out there for your recommendation, let me know please.)  

Carried CRKT K.I.S.S. (briefly) and Gerber Air Ranger (regularly).  CRKT nice, just not quite right, not sure why.  The Gerber Air Ranger was great, just too big for what I need to EDC right now.  If I could find something similar to that in the right size, might be perfect.  

Then for a long while I was carrying a UTX-70.  Generally worked OK, but any gunk on the blade and it would not fire or retract right.  Always had to be cautious using on food.  Couldn't use it the way I might normally for fear of breaking it.  When my wife stole the UTX-70 for her own purposes, I did not stop her.  Opportunity to get something that works better for my current needs.  I did like the size of the UTX for the pocket though.

Started looking online but overwhelmed by options, not finding that one that is perfect for me yet.  

Went to Cabelas to check a few out.  Walked out with a Kershaw Cinder.  Trying to match size of UTX-70 kinda.  It is a great little knife for what it is and what it costs, but it is only a stop gap measure until I find a little better length.

The Kershaw Tickfaw looks promising, many of the features I seek, but haven't been able to handle one.  For as cheap as it is, maybe I will order one just to try.  Maybe it is too cheap.  

The Kershaw Chive ticks a lot of the right boxes, but when I handled it at the store, it was way too slick for comfortable one handed operation, almost dropped it.

The ESEE Candiru looks promising.  Thin enough I might be able to pocket carry comfortably, but I am thinking the length might be prohibitive. Maybe too thin with no handle.  Might pick one up anyways, but probably need a folder.

Have a fair few Gerbers for working knives.  No real brand loyalty though. Know I generally don't like the look and width of Spyderco, understand they are good quality.  

As I am writing this I am really wondering if I just get the Chive with the damascus blade and have some cross hatching done to the handle.  Blade is a bit thin at the point though and don't like the tip lock. Maybe that is removable.  Or maybe I see if one of the local guys would be able to build one from the ground up. Might be too nice to use...

Please help!
View Quote
Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74 was going to be my answer, but it's heavier than you wanted.  I've tried a lot of knives and it's the best I've found.  It's durable, easy to open, and will take/keep a good edge.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Benchmade 482 Megumi

2.48" non serrated blade (0.104" thick)  (Chicago carry legal for what it's worth)
3.28" closed length
.46" thick
1.85 oz
CPM S30V steel
No clip
No deployment lock
US made knife & steel
$245 list/ $210 retail

Since you're open to a liner/frame lock, I assume you probably don't care about ambidextrous operation.

http://www.benchmade.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/8/482_agency_1000x1000_2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Benchmade 482 Megumi

3.28" closed length
.46" thick
1.85 oz
CPM S30V steel
No clip
No deployment lock
US made knife & steel
$245 list/ $210 retail

http://www.benchmade.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/8/482_agency_1000x1000_2.jpg

It looks like it ticks all the boxes, but that might be almost too pretty to use!  It's going on the list though.

Quoted:
Boker Automat Kalashnikov 74 was going to be my answer, but it's heavier than you wanted.  I've tried a lot of knives and it's the best I've found.  It's durable, easy to open, and will take/keep a good edge.
Yeah, bigger in a number of ways.  Appreciate the reminder though.  Used to really be into Boker but haven't looked at them in awhile.  Need to visit their website.  Ah Solingen...
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#19]
if you're OK with non US made, there's the Boker Plus Urban Trapper Petite:

https://www.bokerusa.com/search?sSearch=urban+trapper+petite&__csrf_token=LRcItWSUWKzCFlw0GyoVtMSi4fxCqW

Total length: 6.2 in
Handle length:  3.375"
Handle thickness:  0.32" (titanium) or 0.36" (carbon fiber &/or G-10)
Blade length: 2.8 in clip point
Blade thickness: 0.10 in
Weight: 1.1 oz
Blade material: VG-10
Handle material: Titanium, G-10, or Carbon Fiber
Locking mechanism: Framelock
Opener: Flipper

List $110-$160 Retail: $85-$105

It does have a clip, but it can be removed.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Another knife I have that comes somewhat close to your specs (it's on the long side, but still under 3.75" closed) is the Benchmade Valet 485

http://www.benchmade.com/valet-family.html

Mechanism: AXIS
Thumb studs opening
Action: Manual-opening
Blade Steel: M390 Super Steel !!!
Blade Length: 2.96" (7.52cm) Drop point, non serrated
Blade Thickness: 0.099" (2.51mm)
Open Length: 6.69" (16.99cm)
Closed Length: 3.73" (9.47cm)
Handle Thickness: 0.45" (11.43mm)
Handel Material:  G10
Weight: 2.18oz. (61.80g)

It has a reversible/removable deep carry clip

It's American made with Austrian steel

Of the three knives I have posted, this is my favorite, and it's the only one of the three that gets a regular spot in my EDC rotation.

Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It looks like it ticks all the boxes, but that might be almost too pretty to use!  It's going on the list though.

Yeah, bigger in a number of ways.  Appreciate the reminder though.  Used to really be into Boker but haven't looked at them in awhile.  Need to visit their website.  Ah Solingen...
View Quote
I'm not a benchmade guy, but their knives are solid and they take well to being used.

The saddest thing I can think of for a production knife, even a nice benchmade, is to be relegated to the life of living in a collection and not being carried.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Some more good recs.  The Boker is sharp looking.  For that kind of money would be nice to see it made in the US or in Solingen. Nice design though.

Like that Valet too. (added emphasis to blade steel noted) My size guidelines are really just that.  There is some give and take.  For instance:

Got the Tickfaw today to check out.  As suspected the quality is nothing impressive.  For what it cost it is fine.  Great fast and smooth deployment, solid lock up, no play.  But the blade is so far off center it is almost rubbing against the non liner-lock side and it just looks and feels cheap. It's going back.

But anyways, the size.  I thought it would be right, but it feels horrible in the hand, just something not lining up right.  Feels too thick and too short.  Yet the Cinder, which is cheaper, shorter, thinner, feels great for what it is.  Everything lines up like it should and fits perfect in the hand.  

Once I have enough options to chose from, will just have to try to get my hands on some to try.  

I might be able to get away with something a little longer if it is thinner and lighter overall.  It is hard to tell without being able to handle each one.  It's so personal.

Quoted:
I'm not a benchmade guy, but their knives are solid and they take well to being used.

The saddest thing I can think of for a production knife, even a nice benchmade, is to be relegated to the life of living in a collection and not being carried.
I don't necessarily disagree ...
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I might be able to get away with something a little longer if it is thinner and lighter overall. It is hard to tell without being able to handle each one. It's so personal.
View Quote
That would open up the floodgates a bit to other knives I have:

Zero Tolerance 0450CF
Kershaw Leek Carbon Fiber
Benchmade 530/531
Benchmade 940/943 is really pushing the length at 4.47"
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Since no one has recommended an auto yet (that I've seen at least):

Protech BR-1:

The closed length is a bit more than you're looking for, width is dead on.

It checks most of your other boxes, besides particularly grippy texture.  That being said, I've never had an issue with mine feeling slippery.  I love carrying it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Zero Tolerance 0450CF
Benchmade 530/531
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Zero Tolerance 0450CF
Benchmade 530/531
I know.  I will just need to get some good prospects in different sizes and really think about how/where I will carry it in relation to the other stuff in my pocket.  I still really think shorter is going to be better if I can find the right one.

Some more good recs.  Didn't know the Leek was available in carbon fiber.  I'm guessing it is smooth, but do you know whether the change to carbon fiber offers a little more grip than the standard polished aluminum? Is the blade steel (CPM 154) that much better to justify double the price of the standard Leek (Sandvik 14C28N)?

The Benchmades look like good light thin options too.  

Quoted:
Since no one has recommended an auto yet (that I've seen at least):

Protech BR-1:

The closed length is a bit more than you're looking for, width is dead on.

It checks most of your other boxes, besides particularly grippy texture.  That being said, I've never had an issue with mine feeling slippery.  I love carrying it.
That's a good looking knife.  Will have to see if anyone local carries it to check out. Haven't seen it before. I like the novelty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Some more good recs. Didn't know the Leek was available in carbon fiber. I'm guessing it is smooth, but do you know whether the change to carbon fiber offers a little more grip than the standard polished aluminum? Is the blade steel (CPM 154) that much better to justify double the price of the standard Leek (Sandvik 14C28N)?
View Quote
The CF Leek is new this year.  The Carbon fiber grips do offer more grip than the smooth stainless steel (and knock about .6oz off, but add roughly .025" thickness), and yes, CPM 154 is (in my opinion), in combination with the CF grips, that much better than 14C28N to justify the price.
Personally, I find the tip of the Leeks a bit too fragile for my taste.  The CPM154 leek blade is not hollow ground like the 14C28N blade is, so its tip is slightly more durable, but it's still a bit fragile for my taste.

If I was choosing a knife for myself trying to follow your original specs, the 482 Megumi is my 1st choice, and as we increase the tolerated length, I move to the Benchmade 485 Valet (though I'd consider the Boker Urban Trapper Petite), and then up to the ZT 0450CF.

A Benchmade 530S is what I have in my  Winchester 1892 take down rifle setup because it is ridiculously slim (it is stuffed inside the cleaning kit) and light, with a decent sized blade, and is relatively cheap.  (You'd probably hate the GFN handles, but the 531 has G10 handles)

If you really don't want to use a pocket clip and want to carry loose in you pocket, I couldn't see going any bigger than the Valet for myself.  I'm really fond of the pocket clips myself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I have so far avoided mentioning knives I do not actually own, but here's one if you want an automatic (it might be a homerun for you):

the Benchmade Impel:

http://www.benchmade.com/automatic-knives/impel-family.html

Mechanism: Push Button Automatic
Action: Automatic-opening
Blade Steel: CPM-S30V (58-60 HRC)
Blade Length: 1.98" (5.03cm) Drop point
Blade Thickness: 0.100" (2.54mm)
Open Length: 5.03" (12.78cm)
Closed Length: 3.06" (7.77cm)
Handle Thickness: 0.35" (8.89mm)
Weight: 1.39oz. (39.41g)

Has a clip, but it is removable
List $175

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the continued input Karl, and all of you. Going to try to make it to the store to handle some again today. At least check out sizes and feel.

That Impel, by the numbers does look promising. Bit thinner than the Megumi. Probably a better working grip without being too aggressive as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Cabelas had a number of those discussed here.  Woman behind the counter said she didn't know who I had been talking to but whoever it was has excellent taste It was slow so she joined me playing with the knives.  She really knew her stuff.

The Kershaw Chive, Scallion and Leek just seem like really good value for the money.  With the right handle material (or crosshatching on the aluminum) and their thinness one might work.  The blades are pretty thin at the tip though. Cathode kinda similar, has cross hatching, not the same smoothness/quality.  Like a metal version of the Tickfaw. Have seen some negative reviews on it.

Handled the ZT Sinkevich too after seeing Krashdog rave about it in another thread.  That is frickin nice. So light, yet so solid.  Looks bigger than it feels. Never really paid attention to the ZTs, wondered why people were so in to them.  Lady behind the counter was saying they take a beating too.

I can see why the mini grip is a favorite.  Seems like an excellent little work horse.  Felt good in the hand, little chubby.  Did not fall in love.  Heard you can get different thinner scales, but don't really want to spend that kind of money only to spend almost as much again for new scales.

The Benchmade 530 though, holy crap!  That thing was so thin, but felt solid.  Really liked it. Didn't like the spear style blade on the one they had, but there was a Bugout right next to it with a drop point that was very similar.  Now that I am back at my computer I see the 530 can be had with a drop point blade too. I probably need one...

They had the Megumi too! No go.  Didn't feel quite right and was super tight.  While I am sure I could adjust it or that it would loosen with time, it was kind of off putting for the price.  The button lock release concerned me a little as well.  Felt like I might accidentally release it while using it.  Beautiful specimen.

Played with some other Spydercos, SOGs, no Boker.

Only walked out with Wusthof and Victorinox for the Kitchen.

Need to see what they have on hand at REI, and it looks like the new outdoor shop down the road has Benchmade too.  Apparently one of the ranges I go to has knives too.  Never seen them.  Will have to stop in, see if they have any of the others suggested.  Would like to handle the Impel, see how the safety lock works, if it is bothersome.  Be nice to find a Spyderco Chicago, Protech etc. too.  I fear if I order any of these online to review, the collection will grow a little too quickly.

ETA: Shop down the road had a small assortment of Benchmade, Spyderco, James, Emerson, Mora.  Not much small.  But they did have a Valet right next to a mini grip.  Valet is thinner, sleeker, liked the blade better. M390 steel.  It appears to be smaller than the mini grip, but side by side they are the same length.  Still a bit longer closed than what I think I want, but if I still shopped for knives the way I used to, I would have walked out with that one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#30]
OK, if you love the 530 thinness, but don't like the spear point, and you are going to REI, here's your knife:

An REI exclusive Benchmade 531 that has CPM S30 steel rather than the 154CM the 530 & 531 usually come with:

https://www.rei.com/product/898360/benchmade-531-pardue-axis-g10-fine-blade-knife

The difference between the 530 & 531 is the 530 has FRN grips and a spear point blade, and the 531 has g10 grips and drop point blade.

Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK, if you love the 530 thinness, but don't like the spear point, and you are going to REI, here's your knife:

An REI exclusive Benchmade 531 that has CPM S30 steel rather than the 154CM the 530 & 531 usually come with:

https://www.rei.com/product/898360/benchmade-531-pardue-axis-g10-fine-blade-knife

The difference between the 530 & 531 is the 530 has FRN grips and a spear point blade, and the 531 has g10 grips and drop point blade.

https://www.rei.com/media/e5cf9ee1-c765-4eb9-9c3a-36b3c20bc4c6
View Quote
Yeah, that is sexy.

It is still a bit long I think, but this one will likely be added to the rotation for days I can carry bigger.  Just wish it was a AO or auto.  Still, need to have options.  

Wonder if REI has any sales coming up or if I just get it and get the distribution later. (rhetorical question)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those do look nice, but even if I got past my dislike of Spyderco's generally too wide for me closed design (the leaf shaped blade), the lock back is a deal breaker.  I noticed the Chicago while looking at the Dragonfly though.  That might be a consideration.
View Quote
Best pocket knife I've owned.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Best pocket knife I've owned.
View Quote
The Dragonfly or the Chicago? Or Spyderco generally?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Went to REI.  Lot fewer knives than I remember.  Pretty much only Benchmade in the display case.

Nevertheless, they had the 531 REI edition.  It will be mine.  Gonna wait for the holiday discount members get.  Talking to the guy there, he said he never sees the Benchmades on sale, but members will get 20% off before the holidays.  Thanks for the heads up Karl, wouldn't have known about that one otherwise.

Looks like there is a shop on the south side that may have a wide selection of the ones mentioned here; at least online it looks like they have hundreds. Will have to try going tomorrow. Otherwise time to start ordering them in. Think I will order a couple Kershaws from Kershawguy tonight.

Thanks for all the recs guys and helping me narrow the field a bit.  I'm sure I will end up with a few to rotate through and test out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Candiru with a kydex sheath.  One of the three Candirus I have, this is the only one with a TKC scale on it.  The other two have ESEE scales, which I actually prefer for the Candiru.  I used to be a diehard Spyderco Dragonfly fan for EDC, ever since I bought my first one in '95, but have transitioned to the Candiru or an Izulu for 75% of my EDC now.  The remaining 25% is about 20% Dragonfly (of the various versions I own) and about 5% Benchmade Ball flipper. 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Candiru with a kydex sheath.  One of the three Candirus I have, this is the only one with a TKC scale on it.  The other two have ESEE scales, which I actually prefer for the Candiru.  I used to be a diehard Spyderco Dragonfly fan for EDC, ever since I bought my first one in '95, but have transitioned to the Candiru or an Izulu for 75% of my EDC now.  The remaining 25% is about 20% Dragonfly (of the various versions I own) and about 5% Benchmade Ball flipper. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37420/20160206_095527-307021.JPG
View Quote
Can it be used (relatively) comfortably without the scales for light daily tasks?  I have not been able to handle one yet but the way I am thinking of carrying would not work with the thickness of the scales.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn, I missed out on this one.

Looks like you guys did well helping the OP and he had a great idea of what he wanted

The 351 is pretty slick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Paracord wrapped, yes.  I did that for a while.  I couldn't get comfortable with just the knife.
I really, really prefer the ESEE scales on the Candiru, which is a switch for me.  I have TKC scales on the Izulu, Izulu II, 3, and 4s I have and they are an improvement over the stock (ESEE) scales.  Vice versa for the Candiru.  ESEE scales on the wee one are a little thinner, but feel very comfortable in use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Paracord wrapped, yes.  I did that for a while.  I couldn't get comfortable with just the knife.
I really, really prefer the ESEE scales on the Candiru, which is a switch for me.  I have TKC scales on the Izulu, Izulu II, 3, and 4s I have and they are an improvement over the stock (ESEE) scales.  Vice versa for the Candiru.  ESEE scales on the wee one are a little thinner, but feel very comfortable in use.
View Quote
Thanks.  Finally found one to handle today.  Might be an option if I can figure out how it would work in the pocket with other stuff in there.  I liked it. Nearby they had the CRKT Civet.  Similar size.  Nice flat scales on there and great jimping.  Maybe some scales like that on the ESEE.  Will have to think about it and where it would fit.  

Appreciate the follow up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, great recommendations, but I am going to get yelled at by the wife.

Ordered the Chicago since no one seems to have it around here.

Went to Sherper's.  Wow.  Lots of stuff, some stuff pretty competitively priced, not all. Kind of a arm/army surplus/camping/hunting/fishing/outdoor store.  Not like any store I have seen before in this area.  They price match and ship free over $50.  It looks like they won't ship autos out of state, but if you guys are looking for another knife site, might be worth checking out. Link The website lists the knives as "on sale" but my understanding is that those are their normal prices.

Got some kid that looked like he was in high school or just out, he knew everything about every knife we talked about.  Impressive.  

531s, 940s, Valet, Impel, Megumi, Bugout, Leeks, Scallions, Chives, mini grips, Bokers, Sogs, Esee, and on and on.  They were light on their Spyderco stock aside from the mini grips. But so many others.  They had a lot of sharpening equipment too that I was able to talk to them about.

You were right Karl, the Urban Trapper is pretty sweet.  They did not have the petite, but the regular size was so slender and thin, I might be able to get away with full size.  That's been added to the list of ones to pick up.  The Boker Anti-Grav was pretty sweet too.  I should have titled the thread looking for new EDCs, not EDC.  Whatever doesn't work out I can sell on the EE. Maybe.

The safety on the Impel wasn't as bad as I was envisioning either.  Very positive click so not likely to accidentally slide on like the Kershaws appear they might with their tip locks.  Could just leave it off.

Handling the regular 531 again, really liked that too, just as well as the G-10 version.

Able to handle the Valet again, but they only had the $600 collector edition.  That's a great knife.

You have some good taste @Karl_Withakay (as an aside, my grandfather was named Karle, plan on using it in our kid's name, if we ever have a boy). Expensive tastes though.  You are going to cost my wife some money.

Gradually narrowing down...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I recently picked up a Boker Plus Lancer, and really like it since I wanted something very similar to the needs listed by the OP.

Designer: Serge Panchenko

Total length: 7.0 in
Blade length: 3.0 in
Weight: 2.4 oz
Blade material: 440C
Handle material: G-10
Locking mechanism: Linerlock
Opener: Daumenöffnung
Assisted Opener: No
Automatic Knife: No
Color: Olive

Boker Plus Lancer

I got mine for the best price I could find here.

Knives Plus Boker Plus Lancer
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a Boker Plus Lancer, and really like it since I wanted something very similar to the needs listed by the OP.

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/BK-01BO064.jpg

Boker Plus Lancer

View Quote
Slick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I know you said you weren't into spyderco but...

The Gayle Bradley Air is a pretty slick tiny knife that punches above its weight class

M4 steel, liner lock and Ti liners to keep it very light

Attachment Attached File

Pictured with the Valet which is a great little knife.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Slick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/BK-01BO064.jpg

Boker Plus Lancer

Slick.
I really like it. Can hardly tell you have it in my pocket.  Super slim & lightweight.  A real KISS EDC pocket knife. And the price is pretty good.  I'll likely pick up another as a spare in case I somehow lose this first one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know you said you weren't into spyderco but...

The Gayle Bradley Air is a pretty slick tiny knife that punches above its weight class

M4 steel, liner lock and Ti liners to keep it very light

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74651/gentlemenly_zpsqkeerfqr-307811.JPG

Pictured with the Valet which is a great little knife.
View Quote
Yeah, something about the non traditional blades with the big hole, just rub me the wrong way.  

But my wife didn't like me when she first met me either.  

Just ordered the Chicago from Spyderco to spend some time with it.  Maybe it will change my mind.  Heard good things about it.  GBA looks like a good size.  Will add to the spreadsheet of options.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Some knife pron.  I won't subject you guys to everything I pick up, but the excitement is still fresh for these.  Wallet for size reference.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

That Urban Trapper is just beautiful.  So smooth, light, narrow, still feels solid. Well designed.  Understand why it is one of Boker's best sellers.

The Chicago is not beautiful, or at least not in the same way.  But it feels like it was made to work and take a beating more than the Urban Trapper.  Good size to fit in the coin pocket of my jeans.  Bit wide for my tastes, bit heavy for its size, but solid.  Points to Spyderco for the design.  On a lot of the smaller knives I've been handling, it has felt like my pointer finger should be resting right where the blade starts.  The Chicago, like my Kershaw Cinder (which is just awesome for what it is and what it costs, seriously, if any of you need stocking stuffers, it is worth a look), has a spot right under the blade for the forefinger and a nice wide berth at the choil for the thumb.  It does not feel like my thumb will slide off, but a little surprised there is no jimping there.  The pocket clip came off right away, didn't like how it felt in the hand with it on there, don't need it for how I will carry it.  That being said, i do like the wire pocket clip found on the Chicago better than most, just not on that size knife.  The blade pivot was pretty tight right out of the box.  Loosened that up.  Might have to throw some locktight on the bolt, seems a bit too loose and I didn't back it out much. I might like the Urban Trapper Petite more than this one for current purposes if I could handle one, but I anticipate the fit in the hand may not be as good as the Chicago. Might have to test it out anyways...

I went to Sherpers to get the Urban Trapper.  On top of having a great selection, they will price match internet pricing so I was able to get it for the price on Amazon.  If nothing else, I am glad this little endeavor led me to them.  Great people, great selection, literally can't beat the pricing.  If they don't have it they will order it in for you.  Guy I was talking to said they have special knife nights too if you are on their mailing list.  Their next one is in October and they will have someone in from Benchmade to engrave your Benchmade knife with whatever you want, if that's your thing.  Oh, and beer.

Talked to the guy that does their knife ordering and they just got their Spyderco shipment in. New item is the Para 3.  Smaller, liner lock but on the backside at the top.  Handled it.  Felt good.  Kudos again to Spyderco for their attention to solid grip for working.  Made in Golden, Colorado. Have to put that one on the list too now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Both of the ones picked up so far work in shorts just fine, but had to go somewhere that required pants today.  Good exercise testing what may work best, carried both. Just putting some thoughts out there.

Kinda making me rethink how I approached this.

I thought a small knife like I had before would be best, fits in my pocket right below the trigger guard, outside the holster, when I have to pocket carry my gun, or in the coin pocket of my jeans.  The knives I had before that I would clip in would rub the butt of the gun, or if they were shorter, even poke the butt making things uncomfortable.  

But with how light, narrow and long the Urban Trapper is, it sits at the back out of the way and it is really nice having more blade to work with. Easier to retrieve too.  Makes me wonder if I am going the wrong direction looking for short and small, might be better to focus on long and thin like the 531, ZT 0450CF, etc.  

Will have to keep testing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:Makes me wonder if I am going the wrong direction looking for short and small, might be better to focus on long and thin like the 531, ZT 0450CF, etc.  
View Quote
if you do go this route, give serious consideration to the Benchmade 940/940-1/940-2/943.  They're all fantastic.

943:

940-2:

940-1:
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, the 940-1 has caught my eye each shop I have gone into that had it.  On the list.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Benchmade Mini Griptilian

Spyderco Kiwi4
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top