Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2017 11:05:56 PM EDT
Hey guys. Going to visit my wife's family in Guadalajara in a few weeks. I've been there before but now I'm going with my kids. I'm currently a police officer but obv that means nothing there. Would I be able to bring a pocket knife for self defense while there ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I fly there regularly. It would get taken by our security or theirs on the way in. It could possibly get missed somehow in a checked bag, but not worth the risk. Stop by a hardware store after you land and see if you can pick up something once you get there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They would even take it if it was in checked luggage?  And is this even a worry? You just go unarmed ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They would even take it if it was in checked luggage?  And is this even a worry? You just go unarmed ?
View Quote
Is it worth the risk to find out?  

As the above poster said, buy something there, give it to one of the kids (or leave it at family house) when you leave.  That's what I do when I travel overseas.  

On the other hand, feel free to take your nice stuff and let us know if it makes it.....        

Have a good trip! 
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
TSA on the US side doesn't care if it is in your checked bag, but when they xray it or search it in Mexico, their "TSA" will. If they miss it when you enter the country, they might catch it on your way out. If you are caught with it while walking around in Mexico, then you'd better have a good story.

They have taken from me:

Golf Balls
Tactical Pens
kubatons
Flashlight with strike bezel
small multi tools
small swiss army knife
Metal fingernail file

So yeah, I go around unarmed in the arfcom sense.

I'm not kidding about going to the hardware store. Since you know people there, get one of them to grab you something...knowing that you'll have to leave it there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol even flashlights?  That was the next question I had.   Makes you love the U.S. just a liiiiiitttle bit more. Lmao.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol even flashlights?  That was the next question I had.   Makes you love the U.S. just a liiiiiitttle bit more. Lmao.
View Quote
lol. Yep.

The bezel seemed to be the problem with the one they took, however, I've got a couple of no-name lights from ebay stashed in my bags that they haven't messed with. I guess the bezel doesn't look scary enough or its too cheap for their tastes.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Then let me follow up with a question that can probably fit into many of the forum sections.
  What you bring to Mexico? Or what you you brought that was ok?

I'm staying for a week with wife kids and her family.  Gonna do mostly walking minus a few rides from family.

Since knives and tactical lights are out what do you guys bring to have even the notion of the upper hand ?  First aid kit? Tourniquet? Etc ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
They took a tourniquet from me once but that was during a particularly intrusive search due to something that had recently happened in the area. They haven't been particularly interested in first aid stuff otherwise.

I have a pocket kit from Dark Angel that I keep in my pocket while out and about.
A similar medkit in my backpack plus a CAT tourniquet.
A couple of door stop wedges in backpack (for hotel room door sometimes).
Cheap flashlight in pocket and backpack.
Cheap lightweight backpack that isn't tacticool and contains no personally-identifiable items.
Locally sourced defensive item in pocket. (when I can)
Drop Wallet with some Pesos, US dollars, and other decorations.
Large metal carabiner that will fit around my knuckles (they'll confiscate these sometimes).
Bundle of old keys on ring/carabiner with small length of paracord (also to drop or strike).

Backpacks are a mixed bag. Sometimes they are a magnet for robbery, sometimes everyone has one so it isn't a big deal. Just depends on where you are.

I'm more worried about being a bystander in a shooting or some other incident where I'll need to be able to plug holes if still conscious.

Just follow the same rules you would in most any high-crime area in the US. Don't walk around at night. Don't go into areas you don't know without a trusted guide. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't act like loud,obnoxious Gringo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been there before.  I speak full Spanish and lived there for a few months.  But this time I'm finally getting on track with things to bring for safety.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top