Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 8:23:46 PM EDT
I'm buying a new knife for work, but I'm trying to decide if a Griptilian or something similar is worth the extra $50-60 over a blem Kershaw Blur or Leek.

I'm sure a few people have had both, anyone with an unbiased opinion if it should drop the extra money? Any other recommendations to check out?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on the work you're doing if you're doing light stuff opening boxes letters  Ext the leak is fine.

Between the blur and the grip?

I have two blurs and for grips and I love the grips more.

I love the lock mech on the grip.

it is my favorite sub hundred dollar knife
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with any of them, but the leek is a very different knife than the Blur/Grip.  

If you'll be demanding more/harder work of your knives, go with a Blur or Grip (which ever fits your hand better).  If it's only going to see light duty, the Leek will be much more comfortable to carry.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#3]
buy the Grip
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a spyderco. Better steel for the money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I for one did not like the griptilian.

Yes the lock and all that but I found the grip very unlikeable. The blade was good, no lie, but that portly , very basic, and uncomfortable grip was a deal breaker for me.

Yes, you can get aftermarket grips for them, for almost the same cost as the knife. So instead of having a $200+ knife that I kind of liked, I bought a $200+ knife that I loved.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Very light, very slim, and operates like the Kershaw shallot I used to have.

I really wanted to like the Benchmade. But didn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

The Benchmade, next to my leek, which is great and slim. And the Spyderco tenacious, which I also liked more than the griptilian.

Both the Spyderco and Benchmade we're returned and I bought the zero tolerance sinkevich instead.

I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd personally get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S30V if I was only going to get one knife.
The Para 3 is more practical imo with a 3" blade, but it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the PM2.

I alternate EDC knives a lot, but I walk out the door with the PM2 or a Benchmade mini-barrage most days.

eta- @Krashdog, I've been wondering what ZT model that was after seeing it in all your dinner pics.  I'm going to have to have one now, even though it's a little big for EDC for me personally.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the zero tolerance sinkevich 0452cf

Certainly not cost prohibitive and useful for all needs.

I really only chimed in this thread because I've owned and carried the Kershaw leek, and the shallot (very similar to the blur)

Both were good and we're beaters for years. I did always have a little trouble keeping a good edge on them, but that's my limitation.

I thought the Benchmade would be top shelf for me but it just didn't feel right.felt very bulky in the pocket and the idea of spending another $100 to make it slim was unappealing to me.

I tried the sinkevich mini. Which was great but actually kind of blocky compared to the bigger version.

The 0452 looks very large but is extremely comfortable.

Not everyone spends that kind of money on an edc knife, but so far I'm glad I did.

Not poo pooing the Benchmade. But it didn't wow me.

Of the options the op submitted. I'd take the leek.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd personally get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in S30V if I was only going to get one knife.
The Para 3 is more practical imo with a 3" blade, but it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the PM2.
View Quote
Para 3 in S110V is my main EDC now.  I have fairly large hands (XL gloves generally), and I was surprised at how well it fit.  True, it's not as good as the PM2, but I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable at all.

eta: pic

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Endura or Delica.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
What kind of steel is that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Grab a Ritter Griptilian at knifeworks.com before they sell out. It is a far better blade design and material than the regular Grip.

After owning a  Ritter mini grip, Ritter grip, PM2 and PM3, I enjoy the Ritter Grip the best. The mini Grip handle is a little short, the PM2 handle is surprisingly uncomfortable, the PM3 is close but they really dicked up the end of the handle shape and clip placement and I wish it was a 3.25" blade so that the spine wouldn't be so steeply pointed downwards.

End the end, the fat Grip handle is the most comfortable, I like the axis lock and thumb studs better than the large spyder hole, and Ritter's blade design puts it over the top for me.

If you have to go smaller, the ZDP-189 Delica would be my next choice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
PM2 is a better knife in all the right ways than the grip.  Handle is more comfortable.  Blade is better shaped for pocket knife tasks.  Lock is superior.  S30V is superior to 154CM, especially spyderco's treatment of it.  

Disappears in a pocket.  G10 grips.  Can be had for $120 in S30V.  If one wants better steel, they can find versions in better steels if they are willing to pay more $.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
PM2 is a better knife in all the right ways than the grip.  Handle is more comfortable.  Blade is better shaped for pocket knife tasks.  Lock is superior.  S30V is superior to 154CM, especially spyderco's treatment of it.  

Disappears in a pocket.  G10 grips.  Can be had for $120 in S30V.  If one wants better steel, they can find versions in better steels if they are willing to pay more $.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just, like, your opinion, man.  For $20-$30 more, the G10 mini-Grip with CPM-20CV. is the better knife IMO.  Better lock?  The Axis lock is way better than the Spyderco compression lock (Personal preference).
 If I were getting a Spyderco, I'd get a Spyderco Tatanka (big fucking knife - 5" vg10 blade), a new Police 4, a Manix or a Native 5 before I'd get the Para.

But I was really just replying to @HoyaSaxa

Quoted:
Better steel?  Which Spyderco?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Para 3 in S110V is my main EDC now.  I have fairly large hands (XL gloves generally), and I was surprised at how well it fit.  True, it's not as good as the PM2, but I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable at all.

eta: pic

https://i.imgur.com/cFaPqMb.jpg
View Quote
I've got the PM II in S110v, but it's mostly a Box Queen.  I just love those cobalt blue scales.

I EDC a SwissChamp with Zermatt holster and sharpening steel and it's fine for my everyday needs.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
First knife was a Blur. Beat it up and still carry it daily.

Can't go wrong with a Grip either.

I'd toss the Leek out of the equation though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've got the PM II in S110v, but it's mostly a Box Queen.  I just love those cobalt blue scales.

I EDC a SwissChamp with Zermatt holster and sharpening steel and it's fine for my everyday needs.

Chris
View Quote
yeah, i've got the PM2 in S110V as well, but i don't use it nearly as much.  the para 3 carries so much better imo.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
RIP OP

DAY 17
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
RIP OP

DAY 17
View Quote
I'm still here, but I have build a new fence due the hurricane so I dropped the idea of buying a new knife for now. I know the knives I'm looking at are not that expensive or high end, but other things are taking precedent at the moment.

That being said I really like the Grip after seeing them both in person, so that's probably what I'll end up buying.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm still here, but I have build a new fence due the hurricane so I dropped the idea of buying a new knife for now. I know the knives I'm looking at are not that expensive or high end, but other things are taking precedent at the moment.

That being said I really like the Grip after seeing them both in person, so that's probably what I'll end up buying.
View Quote
I have to do fence work at my moms house too

gl on the grip..
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
ESEE Avispa or Ontario Rat, both can be had in D2 for less than $50.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I once had a minigrip with 154CM that wouldn't take an edge. I liked the knife other than the grip was a little too small and the blade wouldn't get sharp.

The only other knife I had that wouldn't take an edge was a Chive I bought from Wallyworld in 2003. Not sure what steel it had but it was soft like butter.

I have a Ritter grip in M2HS that takes a nice edge and is a nice knife.
I also used to have a couple Benchmades in D2 that sharpened up beautifully.
Every Benchmade I ever bought had some sort of manufacturing defect and the price went up on them so I stopped buying them.

I have to agree if getting only one knife I would get a PM2. The one is S30V is great for everyday tasks and is cheaper than the other variants.

Since a lot of knives are made in the big C and resold under a big brand name at a mark-up you could get a knife directly from china for <$20 that is nicer than you would think for the price.
I have a couple in 440C that take a very nice edge. Unfortunately its hard to find china knives that haven't stolen someones design.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Grip, hands down

I like my mini grip
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Do it!!!

I bought my buddy the Mini Grip and loves it! I have the 940... I was a huge Spyderco fan but I'm kind of a convert to benchmade. However you could look into the Spyderco PM2 they also have the PM3 now that's slightly smaller.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top