Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 11:01:21 AM EDT
Back when I was stationed in Orlando in 1992 , I had never heard of Randall knives.  I came across a display case in a pawn shop and was shown an order form, by which I ordered my father a custom Model 3.  Back then, the wait times was only a few months, compared to the 5 year wait time you see now.  I gave the knife to my father when I got home on leave and he's had it for 25 years and never once used it.

A couple of nights ago, he asked me to meet him for dinner and presented me with it.  He told me that he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to live and wanted to ensure that I got it back.  My dad and I were estranged from each other for several years due to family problems with step mom and my real mom and lies told due to a nasty divorce.  He and I have grown closer in the last few months and I'm glad to finally get a relationship back with him and get some fishing and hunting time in before he is too old to go.
We share the same initials as I am a "junior".  This knife now has a special meaning to me, especially as a knifemaker and knowing the history and having an appreciation for the skill that goes into them. 

Feel free to post pictures of your own.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that's a beauty and the stag on it is awesome!

I have had several Randall's over the years and recently have handed down a couple to my kids. Here is my collection now:

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, that's a beauty and the stag on it is awesome!

I have had several Randall's over the years and recently have handed down a couple to my kids. Here is my collection now:

https://s19.postimg.org/o9oqcv4n7/IMG_0866.jpg
View Quote
Nice collection!  I'm a sucker for stacked leather and stag.
I'm keeping my eyes open for the right 25-5 and am currently making a stacked leather in D2.

Is that a 26 second from the end?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only this one.  5-year wait.  It's my huntin' blade.

DSC_6641-Randall 28 No Sheath by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
That a 5" blade?  Looks bullet proof. I like a smaller blade like for skinning as I find a longer blade is harder to maneuver inside the ribcage.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nice collection!  I'm a sucker for stacked leather and stag.
I'm keeping my eyes open for the right 25-5 and am currently making a stacked leather in D2.

Is that a 26 second from the end?
View Quote
Thanks!

Yep, that is a 26 second from the end. The Bowie is a 12-9 with a mode 14 blade grind. Then there is a pair of 15's and the little one on the far right is a model 10-3………
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Great story!  I would use it and not make it a safe queen.  Of course I say that and I have a couple I have never used.  However, I do have a model 28 like the one pictured above that is my deer hunting blade.  Life is short bro!  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That a 5" blade?  Looks bullet proof. I like a smaller blade like for skinning as I find a longer blade is harder to maneuver inside the ribcage.
View Quote
Mine?  Just about.  4.7".
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top