BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Cold Steel sword cane and it's a tough, slashin', stabbin', and choppin' SOB.  I look like an unarmed, gimpy old man when I walk around with it, but (surprise, surprise, surprise) de' bad mon never see it coming.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would never buy another product from them with that kind of experience.  There are two major gun makers i will never buy from again because they couldn't make duty guns i bought from them run reliably.  Sure their current offerings are probably great but at some point you have to have full faith in what you carry because you NEED it to work. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my Prussian saber. If gunpowder ever stops working I'll be carrying it around.

I had a folder that somehow stopped folding while on deployment. I liked it untill then.
I would never buy another product from them with that kind of experience.  There are two major gun makers i will never buy from again because they couldn't make duty guns i bought from them run reliably.  Sure their current offerings are probably great but at some point you have to have full faith in what you carry because you NEED it to work. 
Eh, prying open steel gates in blowing sand is pretty rough use for a folder. Someone else was using my fixed blade so I used what I had. Seemed to happen a few times.

I've broken the tips off a few knives too but I don't hold that against esee or buck. They're not meant to be screwdrivers or oyster knives.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a cold steel folder a while back. I think I still have it? Lawman maybe? It's a nice design. Their locks are supposedly the strongest, but the blade steel on mine sucks.
  I also bought one of their composite baseball bats at the same time because it was cheap and they said indestructible.
  Man is that thing sweet. Smashes cinder blocks with ease!
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my first 'boutique' knives was their factory second Recon Tanto in Carbon V.  Still have it.  Sharp as hell after 22+ years and it's a very beefy blade.

That's the only product I own from Cold Steel.

Chris
View Quote
My first real fixed blade was the same, factory 2nd Recon Tanto, several yrs ago,  followed up with the SRK.  Have been happy with them.

Since then, I've gotten several CS products, have gotten some unique, interesting things.   most recent some tomahawks to modify

I like their stuff
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once again, my Cold Steel PSA :

For some reason that I don't understand, Lynn Thompson maintains two virtually identical webstores at http://www.coldsteel.com and at http://www.ltspecpro.com (Lynn Thompson special projects).

Items are identical, layout is similar, different skin. Prices are 10 to 20% less on the spec pro site. Not seconds, not blems. Identical first run products.

I don't get it,  but mine is not to question why,  just to get a better deal whenever possible.
View Quote
My theory - many years ago, CS ran the "Special Projects" catalog, carrying some of the unique items Lynn had ran across on some of his travels, not your run of the mill
folders or fixed blades. Various types of weapons from different areas of the world.  They  also ran the factory "2nds" of their knives, having cosmetic blemishes, selling at
reduced prices.  As the age of the internet & on-line sales came into play, they slowed down on the catalog (think small magazine)mailing, & added the Special Projects site,
as you mentioned above.  They probably came to realize they could sell more by putting most of the inventory on both sites, still keeping some of the long time customers
happy with the Spec-Proj. site..

just my thought..
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Carbon V SRK is best SRK.

Have had one since 2001 and its one of the toughest knives I have ever owned.

I own a lot of knives including customs but the SRK is up there for the ones I keep coming back to.

Looking at the 3V Master Hunter as one to pick up next.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 CS items the Gladius machete and the pipe hawk. I gave the Gladius a better blade and stipped down the Pipe hawk and finished the handle and added an acid patina to the head. Both items are great deals I really want the small sword and the cutlas.

My pipehawk

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Got to agree.  My first Cold Steel knife was an SRK (back in the early 90's).  I still have it and it's a sold fixed blade knife.  Overall, I probably have a few dozen Cold Steel products.  Their older machetes were thicker, their folders are quite serviceable, and their CS Shovel is the most useful.  Oh, my first high end blade was their Tanto.  Remember those kick-ass magazine advertisements with the dude about to perforate another guys hand stealing his poker money?  Well, they screwed up my order and sent me a Master Tanto (laminated version).  It's the only one I don't use hard...just because it brings me back some memories of reading Soldier of Fortune magazines in middle school

ROCK6
View Quote
I'll throw in and agree with both of y'all.  I bought an SRK back at a gun show in 1992.  A great knife, but it hasn't seen a ton of use.

How many of us used to read Soldier of Fortune?  I started reading it back in Junior High School.  SOF, Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, plus catalogs from BQ, US Cav, Ranger Joes, Ken Nolan, Parallex and others.  Those were the days!!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top