Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 1/7/2006 2:34:05 PM EDT
guys I had my old buck (110?)folder stolen, forget the model standard 4" folder. That knife would hold an edge for a long time. I have tried a gerber, plain jane 2" lock blade, and it is a bear to sharpen, and the edge lasts a very short time. I have a Camilus buckmaster. very easy to sharpen, open and holds an edge. It's great to skin a deer, but It is so wobbly when locked, I would be scared to use it for defensive purposes.

I just want a nice, light 4" folder with belt clip for every day carry. NC concealed carry is for handguns only, not knives, hence the need for a belt clip. I have heard cold steel was excellent, I have looked at those all the way to Combat Elite Brand. what should i look for, in between the $45 Cold Steel to those $200 Combat Elite?

Any help would be nice

Thanks

Gene
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
I like my Benchmade Mel Pardue. Not really expensive, very sharp, holds a edge and has a belt clip that you can remove if you don't want it
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:21:52 PM EDT
Find an older Buck Model 110 on the 'net, and get the guy over at blade forums to put a pocket clip on it for you for $20.

He has a pic listed that shows the 110 with the Ti scales with a low ride clip he installed. He does very good work, and is highly recommended.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:58:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 7:13:34 PM EDT by Backstop]
I have recently found the perfect EDC for me: Benchmade 511.

Has a belt clip - might work for you.

And man, this thing arrived SHARP!

EDIT:

Had to go look at it as I couldn't remember the number. I have a Buck 112 right here - had it more than 20 yrs.

I had forgotten all about this knife - this thing has been all over the planet with me.

Mine is exactly this vintage, but in a little worse shape, especially the sheath.

Another edit:

Searched at BladeForum. Mine was made between 74-80, and is 440C. My New EDC - Benchmade 551 - is also 440C.

Freaky, unplanned, coincidence.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:18 PM EDT
On the lower end, Spyderco are great knives, in the mid to high end, look at Benchmade, and Emerson, excellent knives for the price point!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:20:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:
On the lower end, Spyderco are great knives, in the mid to high end, look at Benchmade, and Emerson, excellent knives for the price point!

Spyderco has alot of what I consider "High End" working blades, such as the Manix and the Chinook. Check out the Benchmade 710 and the Emerson CQC-7. I also highly recommend the Al Mar S.E.R.E. 2000.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Backstop:

Had to go look at it as I couldn't remember the number. I have a Buck 112 right here - had it more than 20 yrs.

I have a 110. My dad carried it before I did. I think it's pushing 40.

Need a new shealth. Mine looks like the one you pic'd, but beat to hell.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:53:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

I have a 110. My dad carried it before I did. I think it's pushing 40.

Need a new shealth. Mine looks like the one you pic'd, but beat to hell.

I really like stuff like that. I used to have my dad's Boy Scout hatchet. I also used to have a wife that became cruel beyond words...

Decided to post my 112. If this thing could only talk.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:07:48 AM EDT

Decided to post my 112. If this thing could only talk.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44330

Apparently Buck knives age the same way. Mine looks pretty much like that.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:08:19 PM EDT by TennesseeRat]
Here is the link in case anyone is interested. Adding a pocket clip, that is.

www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374927&highlight=clips
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:54:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 8:55:19 PM EDT by Big_Bear]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:48:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
I can tell it's old because the edges are squared. The newer Buck folders are more rounded.

What edges, Big_Bear...got me wondering here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:56:13 AM EDT
I just found my old 110 and I forgot I snapped the tip off. No I wasn't using it as a pry bar.
I dropped it on carpet with a concrete subfloor
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top