Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 6:43:50 AM EDT
I really like the Recon by ColdSteel because it's tough as hell and I would never worry about it being damaged by anything.  But it's not an auto.  I have come to love autos because they are just that much easier to open.  It's not much, but to me it is all about convenience.  I have autos but they are very fragile feeling.  Is there a good strong, rugged auto?  I have looked at the MOD CQD MKI s and they are what I'm looking for, just wayyyyyyyyy too pricey.  Is there a knife for me?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Autos from Benchmade are well made, very strong knives.  Check out the Benchmade Auto Resistor 4200, 5000, or any other Benchmade autos as most can be had under $200.

Remember though, if you're looking for an "extreme" use knife, they are still folding knives and suffer from the same weaknesses as folder does. If you do find a very large auto you may find that it would be as easy to conceal a good fixed blade which would be much stronger and faster than any auto.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Benchmade auto.  The Auto Stryker.  It's not been tough.  I chipped a chunk out of the blade when I hit a piece of rock with it! I use the knives at work for doing stuff like opening cans, cutiing plastics, and fire making.  The auto part is so that I can open it with one hand without changing my grip.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a Benchmade auto.  The Auto Stryker.  It's not been tough.  I chipped a chunk out of the blade when I hit a piece of rock with it!

The Benchmade IS a tough knife. I would be willing to bet whatever circumstances took a chunk out of your Benchmade would have done the same to a MOD CQD MKI as the blades on both these knives are the same steel (154 cm) , same thickness (.125), and same temper(rc 60). Even if the MOD was in your price range, I dont think it's that much more of a knife than the BM in regards to durability and blade strength. As far as cutting power and lock strength I would say the MOD wins simply because it's twice the size as the BM. If you want chip resistance, you need to look to a different steel, if you want blade strength for prying, look to a thicker blade.

I carried a BM 9100 for the convienience of an auto until I realized some of the day to day chores were just too much for a thin bladed folder. I discovered the Busse series of knives and the convienience and novelty of the auto quickly wore off. At .212 thickness and made from INFI steel, (very durable and ductile), it is a mini crowbar with a surgical edge. I do also carry a BM Griptillian in D2 steel. It uses the very durable axis lock and can be opened FASTER than the BM 9100. It is lighter than the BM, and the D2 steel blade is more durable and holds an edge longer than the 154 cm.
Just a few things to consider.

From The Top
Busse Heavy Duty, 3.5" INFI
BM 9100 auto
BM Griptilian, axis lock,  - D2 steel (exclusive to Cabelas)

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Severtech.  Nuff said.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Benchmade has been reliable for  me and when I used my knife to pry open the latch on my flash hider and broke the tip, Benchmade replaced the blade for free even though I admitted to doing the unthinkable...
In Idaho I carried autos for 20 years  but I only use them until they start getting dinged up and then I throw them in the collection and buy another...
The AFO is durable but hefty. I liked the Mel Pardue.
Boker has some comfortable knives that can have the spring easily removed if you go across state lines.  They are OK but open in your pocket.
I just bought a front auto Piranha Excaliber #14 out of 186 they made...it is a sturdy knife but has a dagger blade. It seems that the Coil spring openers seem to have the least problems.
Hubertus has a floppy button that holds an edge through cardboard and visqueen and they replace springs for free if they break. it's a long spring.
The nice thing about benchbade is you can adjust the handle lugs and have the knife open slow and easy or lightning quick and can take it apart easily if it gets full of dirt.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top