Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 9/12/2003 1:34:36 PM EDT

I am thinking of purchasing a Wilson Tactical Model 2. Does anyone own one? I have a couple of questions. What is D2 steel? Easy to sharpen? Rust resistant? Overall feelings? Quality? I would appreciate any info on this knife.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
TT, here is a quote from the FAQ posted at the top:

"D-2 is sometimes called a "semi-stainless". It has a fairly high chrome content (12%), but not high enough to classify it as stainless. It is more stain resistant than the carbon steels mentioned above, however. It has excellent edge holding, but may be a little less tough than some of the steels mentioned above. And it does not take a beautiful finish. Bob Dozier uses D-2."

I have never owned a Wilson model.  I can tell you that there is an old adage among knife makers that says: "D2 takes a lousy edge and holds it forever."  However, I have handled a few Dozier knives and they seem plenty sharp to me.  D2 has excellent edge retention, but may be a bit more prone to chipping or breaking if subjected to abuse.  It works very well for smaller blades, especially hunters, skinners and small tactical knives, 4" - 5" or less.  However, IMHO, I would look at other steels for large knives.  For the Wilson you mention, I think D2 is a fine choice for steel.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top