Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2002 11:39:08 AM EDT
I will be buying a press for my .50 and just wondered which one to get.There are only two I have seen for sale,Hornady and RCBS.Does anyone have either of these? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've heard, they're both the same, just painted different colors. Most prefer the Hornady because of the lock n load feature.

You can try looking at Corbin presses, www.corbins.com look at the Mega-Mite. If you have the money, Hollywood Eng. makes a turret style press for reloading the .50. You can set up all your dies on it and turn the top to the the desired die you need. It's not cheap, I think the press w/o dies is $700. By the time you get a powder funnel, F/L sizer, neck sizer...your up over 1K.

Guess it all comes down to how much money you want to spend. Look up Boses guns for a good deal on the Hornady set up. Make sure to get a neck sizing die, once you shoot the round in your gun, all you do is neck size. If you F/L size everytime your over working the brass and will only get a few reloads out of it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi. I went with the RCBS because it came with a trim die. I figured that saved me buying 1 less piece. The trim die works ok, looks like I made somewhat of a good decision. I called RCBS and questioned the strength of the decap pin, wether it would stand punching out crimped in primers. They offered and sent me spare pins n/c. I got mine from Natchez, they did have the RCBS kit on sale. 50_Shooter knows his stuff, helped me a whole lot. Thanks and best of luck.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
We use an old Rock Chucker at Barrett. That thing is built like a tank. I've loaded 1000's of rds on it.

Like the Hornady New Dimension dies also.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top