Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2017 9:52:59 PM EDT
I'm giving up on a mg purchase and deciding to put the cash toward a 50.

I've seen several m99 and ar50 sell at the 2600-3100 range.  So, which is better?

I love the look of both, think I would be happy with either, just looking for opinion.

I have a luepold already in house for the rifle, no rings though.  I want the bolt action, and like the bullpup'Ness of the m99.

My only experience with 50bmg is the mag fed shtf 50 I sold last spring, so what's the consensus?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your use really. I could never carry my AR 50 further than a bench but the 99 i could take to a blind or spot innthe woods in a good pack. Haveing shot both its back to what your going to do. On a bench the AR50 is a pleasure to shoot. The 99 had a sharper recoil and always had more blast to me. But again thats weight im sure. I really like the AR50 which is why i bought one,but i had the chance to try others and it fit my needs of an accurate range gun. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the bullpup design of the M99. It is packable and I can shoot it standing if I get on target quick. The AR50 is said to be a better long range target rifle. It's heavy and long but has less "push" recoil and less muzzle blast. The AR50 does use a Rem 700 type trigger group and can be replaced while the M99 has it's own trigger and not adjustable or replaceable. I like my M99. Both good rifles. As far as recoil with the M99 I've had kids to women to elderly shoot it with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Just bought a new BA-50 last month for $3250. Prices have dropped considerably.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just bought a new BA-50 last month for $3250. Prices have dropped considerably.
View Quote
Wow good to know.

The one I was watching on gb sold for 32 last night, m99

What's the difference between the m99 and m99a1?

Is one more desirable?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
M99A1 has a 29" fluted barrel while the M99 has a 32" heavy barrel. M99A1 is lighter and shorter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The AR-50 comes with an adjustable Buttstock, uses a Rem 700 type trigger that can be swapped out for a better one. You can use any type of bipod that you want, all you need is a T slot adaptor.

You can get different scope rails from flat to 50 MOA, one piece scope mount, quick detachable mounts.

Same goes for the factory grip, if you don't like it you can swap it out for another. I think I remember seeing someone put a PSG grip on their AR-50.

I don't think the M99 can do any of the above but it still comes down to personal preference.
View Quote
The trigger on the M99 is nice, and the bipod is good too.  Don't forget to add the bipod onto the cost of an AR50.

The M99 takes AR grips.  The area above the grip is shaped different than an AR, though, so you have to re-shape the back strap if your AR grip sticks up in that area.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
M99A1 has a 29" fluted barrel while the M99 has a 32" heavy barrel. M99A1 is lighter and shorter.
View Quote
Also be aware (if you're shopping used guns too) that the early M99's had a 33" barrel with a flat (no MOA) top rail and used the 2 chamber/4port brake like a M82A1.  The later offerings were 32" barrel with 20MOA built in and the 3 chamber/6 port brake which does offer better recoil control.  The latest 29" fluted barrel also gets the 3 chamber/ 6 port brake.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I did my homework on these years ago, back then the M99 included a nice bipod and a nice Pelican case, the AR50 did not.   A quality case and bipod aren’t cheap.  If $ a deciding factor, be sure to chk if Armalite includes these now, and chk costs if not, so you’re comparing apples-to-apples on what’s included in your package.

BTW, I chose the M99-1.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
For me it was the 99. Sold it and just recently was able to replace it. In my opinion it is probably the most versatile 50 bmg rifle made. The only reason I would lean towards the Armalite would be if I was doing a lot of actual target/precision shooting.

The BA50's intrigue me too but I haven't found a smoking deal on one yet.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top