Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 4:07:08 PM EDT
I have about 16 pounds of IMR 5010 powder
Right now I am using 200 GR for my API and ball rounds and is a mild load

Now I have in some tracer Blue tip and some spotter tracers along with some AP and ball.

What loads should I use with the Blue tip and spotter tracer with the IMR 5010?

any sources for more IMR 5010?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I pushed some Barnes 800 grain LRS out of my AR-50 at 3186 fps average.

I too will not tell the load as it would grenade any rifle if the process was not followed exactly.
My testing quit because I could not compress the load anymore and a different powder type was required.
The testing did burn the throat out of the rifle requiring a barrel set back and re-chambering.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Your 200 grain load with IMR 5010 is probably very mild. Since surplus powders vary in burn rate from lot to lot yours may be faster or slower than my IMR 5010 so you'd have to work up watching for pressure. All my loads for Tracer, AP, Ball, API, and Blue tips are safe from 215 to 222 grains and still not close to maximum. I could shoot any of these bullets up to 222 grains without problems. I'd think you could up your charge to 210-215 grains and still be mild loads. IMR 5010 I haven't seen in a good while anywhere and it seems surplus 50 bmg powder is getting scarce. Plus 647 gr. Ball and 690 AP bullets are nonexistent and can not be found anywhere. If you should find a small quantity of ball or AP you're going to pay a high price at $2.00 up each. Also remanufactured 50 BMG ammo has skyrocketed in price. I feel bad for those wishing to get a 50 BMG rifle or want to start reloading for theirs. Surplus components are not being sold to the public it seems. Maybe the current administration may change the policy and allow demilled ammo components to be sold to the public????
 Spotter Tracer rounds can not be reloaded to normal 50 bmg velocity. If you push them too hard they can and will detonate in your barrel or brake. Load levels for Spotter Tracers are normally listed at 170-180 grains of IMR 5010. Haven't loaded them myself. Velocity should be around 1700 fps to 1800 fps maximum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
^^^^^^^^^^ Very good info.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your 200 grain load with IMR 5010 is probably very mild. Since surplus powders vary in burn rate from lot to lot yours may be faster or slower than my IMR 5010 so you'd have to work up watching for pressure. All my loads for Tracer, AP, Ball, API, and Blue tips are safe from 215 to 222 grains and still not close to maximum. I could shoot any of these bullets up to 222 grains without problems. I'd think you could up your charge to 210-215 grains and still be mild loads. IMR 5010 I haven't seen in a good while anywhere and it seems surplus 50 bmg powder is getting scarce. Plus 647 gr. Ball and 690 AP bullets are nonexistent and can not be found anywhere. If you should find a small quantity of ball or AP you're going to pay a high price at $2.00 up each. Also remanufactured 50 BMG ammo has skyrocketed in price. I feel bad for those wishing to get a 50 BMG rifle or want to start reloading for theirs. Surplus components are not being sold to the public it seems. Maybe the current administration may change the policy and allow demilled ammo components to be sold to the public????
 Spotter Tracer rounds can not be reloaded to normal 50 bmg velocity. If you push them too hard they can and will detonate in your barrel or brake. Load levels for Spotter Tracers are normally listed at 170-180 grains of IMR 5010. Haven't loaded them myself. Velocity should be around 1700 fps to 1800 fps maximum.
View Quote
Guess I got lucky :)
I have 550 ball,  and 150 a.p. bullets that I paid 50 cent each for

I also have  103 us surplus ap tgat I paid $2.00 each shipped
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top