Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/5/2012 12:32:45 PM EDT
I just watched the episode of American Guns where they claimed to "build" a 20mm rifle - supposedly for avalanche control.

Several things about that "reality TV" episode did not make sense to me.

First off, they claimed that they started with a "surplus military action" - and brought in a rusted tube with an endcap on it.  

What military 20mm used that thing as a reciever??!?  

Next, they claimed the gun's owner - a private individual - would use "exploding war head ammunition" - but I don't think that ammo is available to any civilians, even if they could foot the $200 stamp required for every round.

On top of that, would 20mm even work for setting off avalanches?  The buyer also grossly understated the range of current avalanche guns.

Finally, the gun they supposedly "built" at Gunsmoke looked suspiciouly identical to Anzio Iron's 20/50 rifle.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/Anzio-20-50.html

I'd like to believe that there is SOME truth in these shows - especially the gun-related ones. But, it looks like this reality show was complete BS when it comes to this gun, the "build" they supposedly did, and its origins.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]

People watch it for the "guns"?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#2]

That's about the only reason I watch that show anymore
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess you missed the part where they said they were using an aftermarket action, they never say who.  ..

Actually- I just watched it again.  They did not say "aftermarket action."  What John say around the 14:58 mark is "it's surplus" - then a few seconds later he says "we're gonna restore it to original working condition."  But you're right - they never named the "most trusted distributor" mentioned as the source of the "surplus."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPQRYIacgxA

I guess it bothers me that good folks like the ones at Anzio got no mention here.  Now, half of the USA thinks that "Gunsmoke" is the go-to builder if you want to own a 20mm rifle (when it actually appears they did little more than paint it).  I hope Anzio at least charged them full retail.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It's like they just painted it one color and as an afterthought tossed on a few tiny and sporadic digi patches and called it camo.

We've got a herd of guys over in the refinish painting threads who've done a much better job and don't have the expectation of being a knowledgeable gunsmith. And this is why I typically don't watch these craptastic firearm "reality" TV shows, I'd probably end up breaking my TV after 37 seconds of Teh Stupid(tm).

(Background Information: This poster attended Colorado School of Trades for gun-smithing.)
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#7]

long neck is long....

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#8]
You were looking at her neck??
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If you look closely at the finished product at the end, the muzzle brake clearly shows Anzio markings.

But let's not hold them to truth or fact. The TV show is for entertainment purposes only. Like it or not...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The last thing I look at is her neck

They should really give credit where credit is due though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]

There's guns on that show? damn!!...i like guns
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just watched the episode of American Guns where they claimed to "build" a 20mm rifle - supposedly for avalanche control.

Several things about that "reality TV" episode did not make sense to me.

First off, they claimed that they started with a "surplus military action" - and brought in a rusted tube with an endcap on it.  

What military 20mm used that thing as a reciever??!?  

Next, they claimed the gun's owner - a private individual - would use "exploding war head ammunition" - but I don't think that ammo is available to any civilians, even if they could foot the $200 stamp required for every round.

On top of that, would 20mm even work for setting off avalanches?  The buyer also grossly understated the range of current avalanche guns.

Finally, the gun they supposedly "built" at Gunsmoke looked suspiciouly identical to Anzio Iron's 20/50 rifle.

http://www.anzioironworks.com/Anzio-20-50.html

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/desertdigitaltakedown50.jpg

I'd like to believe that there is SOME truth in these shows - especially the gun-related ones. But, it looks like this reality show was complete BS when it comes to this gun, the "build" they supposedly did, and its origins.

I need the  mag fed 20mm that Anzio has, i've been eyeing that beast for a few yrs now.I saw it at Knob Creek when i was there one time. VERRRY nice. What does 20mm ammo run nowadays? $10 a rd and up?
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top