Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 3:57:15 PM EDT
OK, so I got the wild hare in my azz to start reloading. The problem is, I have almost no experience with it, I have have reloaded a handfull of shotshells at a friends house and thats about it. What equipment will I be needing and where is a good place to buy? Any good basic reloading info floating around on the web? Where do I start?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:33:31 PM EDT
Here is a pretty go site I found on reloading just for the 50. In his reloading section he covers plinking ammo loading and match loading. I have reloaded with my father for many years and this WEB site changed my mind about reloading fo the 50. You need a completely new setup and the equipment is larger and so is the price. I have reloaded halfway in between his plinking and match loads for 308 but the cost for the 50 is too much for my blood.

Just my .02

Link: http://www.hevanet.com/temple/

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:30:59 PM EDT
The new Lee 'Classic' cast iron press is getting good reviews. It makes use of their own proprietary 1.25" dies, but the entry costs are only 1/2 of what it'd cost otherwise to get started.

Here's a review of the press:
Ring's Lee Classic Press Review

It would be best if you could find somebody near you to learn the reloading process from, but otherwise WR's 50 Reloading Page is a very good primer as mentioned above:

Reloading the 50BMG
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:40:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:44:05 PM EDT
Spend money on a good trimmer.

Avoid the Lyman POS like the plague. It has a slight bevel on the back side of the pilot, this causes the brass to form a burr which makes it difficult to retract the pilot/shaft from the case mouth.

The cutter of the Lyman POS also seems to be a low quality steel, after doing 550 or so cases the thing is seriously dull.

Get a Forrester or better yet, look into a Giruard even though it is expensive as hell the amount of brass you can trim and the amount of time you save is rediculous.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:51:06 PM EDT
My Giruard works great for 50bmg. I used a 'normal' trimmer for the first 30 or so cases and said no way. Even though I'm not a huge reloader I bought the Giruad and am glad I did.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top