BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 6:31:26 PM EDT
GONE...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Remember the first 10 seconds after the first shot.......Priceless.......
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL!  The first 10 seconds after my first shot with a 50 BMG rifle I contemplated the pain and ringing in my ears.  I had earplugs in but in the excitement of the moment I had left the muffs draped over my neck.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember mine also....I had my hat on the ground in front of me.....the blast blew it 12 feet behind me...man what a rush....I have been lucky to have shot several....now I am waiting on my new Serbu to come in....
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay guys, here's the range report:

ABSO-F***ING-LUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!

I couldn't believe the power of this cartridge/weapon! For those who told me it kicked like a 12 gauge magnum - are you nuts or are you bulked-up giants??? (LOLOLOL) This thing kicked like a horny mule! I absolutely loved it!

But honestly guys, here's the scoop:

Using Yugo surplus ammo, I fired at a 24" round steel plate (1" thick), suspended from a cradle at 250 yards (bench rested of course). After bore sighting (the old fashioned way), I was "on steel" after three rounds. I fired a total of 20 Yugo surplus rounds and "rang the gong" each and every time (not sure exactly where on the plate I hit but I was very happy anyway). My Tasco 20X Super Sniper with Badger Rings performed flawlessly.

All in all it was a verrrrrryyyyy eye opening experience!!!

Here's the downside:

The Yugo stuff had very hard primers and some rounds took as many as 5 strikes to ignite. I'm using Ferret's heavy hammer with the standard M16/AR15 hammer spring. I'm gonna' add the Watson's Weapons auxillary hammer spring to overcome this and once my remaining 100+ rounds are depleted, I will not buy this ammo again!!!

Next is the recoil - it was PUNISHING!!! I used a ARFX Skeleton Stock with the thick pad mounted to a DPMS CA Legal Single-Shot AR15 Lower. I'm gonna' replace that stock with a weighted A1 Stock with Brownell's AR15 replacement pad attached. I intend to fill the storage cavity with lead shot to add some weight to the ass-end of this weapon.

In addition, I intend to replace Ferret's muzzle brake with the retro-fit "Shark Brake" from Serbu just as soon as it is available!

Any other suggestions are welcomed...

OOPS - almost forgot - the pics taken by my friend were too dark to use - seems he just got his camera and didn't really know how the use it, however, one photo did come out and here it is (not very flattering):

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Lets talk prices, BABE!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lets talk prices, BABE!

...prices on what????
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The ferret upper.  I saw their add in American Rifleman, and I was tempted to look into them, but I was concerned about the price.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The ferret upper.  I saw their add in American Rifleman, and I was tempted to look into them, but I was concerned about the price.

Ohhhh... I giot mine off of Biggerhammer (used) for $1,400.00 I spent another $1,000.00 on lower, components, stock, scope and rings.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt45man welcome to the wonderful world of .50's!I knew you would like it.Now that you experienced the sharp recoil of the Ferret you know have a recoil gauge to go off of.I can tell you my Watson upper is way less than the Ferret.Its almost like a strong PUSH than a hard kick.The AR 50 recoil is lesser than that!The MMAG upper with the Shark Brake is just under the Ferret's recoil.Thats intresting that it takes a couple of strikes to ignite your Yugo ammo,I would definitely install the Watson hammer spring.I havent had one misfire yet with it.Anyways glad to hear you liked it and now you just need to start shooting past 600 yards,that where the real fun begins!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Colt45man welcome to the wonderful world of .50's!I knew you would like it.Now that you experienced the sharp recoil of the Ferret you know have a recoil gauge to go off of.I can tell you my Watson upper is way less than the Ferret.Its almost like a strong PUSH than a hard kick.The AR 50 recoil is lesser than that!The MMAG upper with the Shark Brake is just under the Ferret's recoil.Thats intresting that it takes a couple of strikes to ignite your Yugo ammo,I would definitely install the Watson hammer spring.I havent had one misfire yet with it.Anyways glad to hear you liked it and now you just need to start shooting past 600 yards,that where the real fun begins!

Do you guys ever go to the LV shoot that Cal-Kid went to? Looks like loads of fun and fellowship...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Yaa the Vegas shoot looks like lots of fun but we just missed it.Damm!Well if you talk to 50_Shooter he is organizing a desert shoot in October.The shoot will be I think 2 days and you can camp out with the group out there.I need to buy a tent and some light camping gear for the October shoot.When the next Vegas shoot comes around I'm definitely not missing it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell yeah - I'm up for both those shoots!

BTW - Dave at Ferret apparently read my post and sent me an email stating that they have a re-designed FIRING PIN that virtually solves light strike problems. He is offering to replace the F/P for me at no charge. WOW - that's customer service if you ask me! I'll be shipping him my bolt tomorrow.

He also advised that they are currently working on a new brake design of their own and testing of it's protoype is under way. This might be worth waiting for instead of buying the "Serbu Shark Brake" right away...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey now thats my kinda range...EMPTY!Wheres that range at?It looks very nice and clean.Do they have ammo restrictions there and how far out do the targets go out to?The bottom pic looks like the moment after you pulled the trigger,UTTER SILENCE Right!Your .50 looks very nice,whats your next project???
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw another Ferret owner posting on Biggerhammer.net to Mark Serbu wanting to know if Serbu could make a Shark brake for the Ferret.  

Recoil must really be a bad problem with that setup.

I have a Serbu-BFG-50 with a AR-50 brake and the recoil is not punishing at all.

If you get a chance to shoot a Serbu I would like to know what you think compared to your Ferret.

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Coltman...Just how long does it take to get from the 33 turnoff @101, to get to the gun club?

Does the gun club have a website with membership info?

Have you ever shot at the range in Piru?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#16]
...about 40 minutes with normal traffic.

No, I've never shot at Piru club.

Gunclub website:

www.dock.net/ovgc/

Where are you in Kali???
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
yea 45man I have shot USMC_LB's Serbu with the AR50 brake and you could shoot it all day without a problem....Mine will have the new shark brake...and from what I have read and heard it works very very well USMC_LB and my self will be shooting together and I will let you know how and what the different is then...
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I would like to have one also, keep us informed!

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in Camarillo. I usually shoot at the Angeles Ranges, which takes me about 45 min. with no traffic.

Thanks for the range info.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top