Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 2:14:38 PM EDT
Been trying to find a good estimate on the M249 SAW's barrel life, but I'm not finding anything.  Anyone know approximately how many rounds they're good for?  Assuming you don't constantly get it cherry red while firing....
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive heard anywhere from 90k-120k if it is never abused.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive heard anywhere from 90k-120k if it is never abused.
View Quote
Seriously doubt that.  Maybe 20-25K accuracy will start falling off and around 30-35 the throat erosion will be to far gone it would start key holing.  40K max but even that I highly doubt.  Now the 240 would probably last longer because the 308 is slower and less heat friction from the high velocity round like 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you asking about for a 249S or for a post-sample?

You may have some difficulty getting an accurate answer for this if you're wanting to know how long it will last on a 249S, as it's not strictly what the barrel was ever designed for, and even a "rapid fire" semi-auto belt fed is still not going to develop the same kind of heat in the same round counts/amount of time as a real M249. Accuracy standards for "shot out" also may or may not be the same depending on what you're looking for and what your expectations are.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I'm interested mostly in info for the M249s.  I figured I wouldn't find much, if any, numbers for it, so I tried finding anything concrete for the 249.  Still couldn't find anything definitive on the barrel besides rates for barrel changes.  I did see an estimate for the receiver life being something like 50,000 rounds (vs 60,000 vs the 240b).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top