Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 2:00:28 AM EDT
Planning on hunting with my 17, what are some rounds to avoid, some to use? I've read you shouldn't go above 168 grain due to overpressure issues with .308 but if anyone could give me more insight I'd appreciate it!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I used my 17 with a remmington 150gr(i think) black tip for whitetail last year. Hit him dead in the chest, couldnt find his heart when I stripped him. Ran maybe 20yds before he was KIA. Going to try out my 300b.o sbr with 125gr this year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends what game.

Deer? Yea a standard 308 will do just fine in any form. Sierra Matchking the best.

As for me I only do small game (rabbit mostly), so 223 with a rapidly expanding round (like a 55 grain hollow point) is the name of the game
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure what over pressure issue you have with heavier rounds. However, because the SCAR17 has a slow 1/12" twist, you may have issues with stability and heavier bullets.

For medium size game, any 150gr hunting bullet will be fine. If looking at larger game, I'd choose a solid like Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX ammo. You can use the 150gr bullets, but because they are solids, they penetrate like much heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Winchester ballistic tip 168 or 150gr loads I have a shit load of from years ago and it works.  I have shot a lot of 175gr HPBT in the SCAR 17 with the 1/12 twist but from my shooting experience with the load I pattern better with 168gr.  168 will yield me about 1MOA consistently the 175 closer to 1-1.25MOA slight difference but just enough to notice.  YMMV

I have also used soft point 150gr loads before but just FYI sometimes the tip of lead can deform on the feed ramp on feed I noticed this one day after hunting and not shooting anything when I cleared the chamber the tip of lead was kind of boogered up.  Would it of matter probably not but I stopped using it for hunting because I would rather not wound an animal because the round did not fly true when I can use the ballistic tip ammo that I have a shit ton of that does not deform on feed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Federal Power-Shok 150gr Copper HP:

I have had really good success with these rounds. I have taken two hogs and plan to possibly use on white tail this season. I believe I will have no problem in the event I use my SCAR versus my 308 bolt gun (have not decided yet).

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA:

Wanted to throw in I purchased the below, Barnes VOR-TX 130gr Tipped Triple-Shock X. Purchased these as I originally planned to SBR the SCAR to a 13" thus the lighter weight and all copper round. Not sure how the polymer tips will play with semi interaction but like the idea of the load. I will try them in the SCAR but also my 23" bolt gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends what game.

Deer? Yea a standard 308 will do just fine in any form. Sierra Matchking the best.

As for me I only do small game (rabbit mostly), so 223 with a rapidly expanding round (like a 55 grain hollow point) is the name of the game
View Quote
Did you really just say the matchking was the best for deer? While i agree it works, its hardly better than a bonded controlled expansion bullet
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have had really good success with these rounds. I have taken two hogs and plan to possibly use on white tail this season. I believe I will have no problem in the event I use my SCAR versus my 308 bolt gun (have not decided yet).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380554/PowerShok150grCopperHP-323590.JPG

ETA:

Wanted to throw in I purchased the below, Barnes VOR-TX 130gr Tipped Triple-Shock X. Purchased these as I originally planned to SBR the SCAR to a 13" thus the lighter weight and all copper round. Not sure how the polymer tips will play with semi interaction but like the idea of the load. I will try them in the SCAR but also my 23" bolt gun.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380554/Barnes150grTipped_Triple-Shock_X-323597.JPG
View Quote
+1 on those power-shoks. Speer and Federal paired have long been my favorite hunting rounds for a balance of accuracy, effectiveness, and price. Those 150 grain power-shoks on deer is like hitting them with the hammer of Thor.  Although my party's experience with them is largely 30-06.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a handload with 150gr Hornady FBSP......seemed to work pretty well from 200 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a big fan of Hornady SST.  Taken 4 deer and none have taken more than a few steps.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I took out Fusion 165's for my 17 a few years back when I took it. It grouped great, and was an absolutely devastating round. I'd buy whatever grain Fusion is closest to your current zero and rock on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380554/PowerShok150grCopperHP-323590.JPG

ETA:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380554/Barnes150grTipped_Triple-Shock_X-323597.JPG
View Quote
The polymer tips work great much better than lead tip.  They feed perfect in mine where as the lead tip deforms on feed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
This is like asking what's the best flavored beer. You'll get 100 posts with 85+ different answers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is like asking what's the best flavored beer. You'll get 100 posts with 8587 different answers.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The polymer tips work great much better than lead tip.  They feed perfect in mine where as the lead tip deforms on feed.
View Quote
Excellent! Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top