BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
SCAR pic thread (Page 2 of 74)
Page / 74
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By firedog55:
Don't cut that barrel, you'll be sorry.  FN uses a very hard non ductile chrome lining on that barrel to give it a 30,000 round count.  Others have cut their SCAR barrels (find info on this at FNforum) and found significant degradation of acuracy due to the chrome lining chipping away at the crown.  Contact FN and ask them.  I was told this @ SHOT when I asked their LE rep about it.

I looked over on FN Forums and couldn't find anyone who had actually cut the barrel.  Just a lot of talk about it.  I spoke at length several times with one of the senior designers at FN and he doesn't seem nearly as concerned as long as a reputable smith like Adco does the work.  If you use improper tools to do the job the results will reflect that.

I sent my Form 1 off 5 days after buddyhoohaw, so I'll know soon enough either way.

Stephen

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By stephen_101st:
Originally Posted By firedog55:
Don't cut that barrel, you'll be sorry.  FN uses a very hard non ductile chrome lining on that barrel to give it a 30,000 round count.  Others have cut their SCAR barrels (find info on this at FNforum) and found significant degradation of acuracy due to the chrome lining chipping away at the crown.  Contact FN and ask them.  I was told this @ SHOT when I asked their LE rep about it.

I looked over on FN Forums and couldn't find anyone who had actually cut the barrel.  Just a lot of talk about it.  I spoke at length several times with one of the senior designers at FN and he doesn't seem nearly as concerned as long as a reputable smith like Adco does the work.  If you use improper tools to do the job the results will reflect that.

I sent my Form 1 off 5 days after buddyhoohaw, so I'll know soon enough either way.

Stephen

Oh, and since this is a picture thread.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
...and just for Kel; the Bi-Lock close up

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:35:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt_sporter] [#4]
Time for some "in-action" shots.

These pics were taken during a rifle class/competition I went to last weekend. At the time of the pics, I was "spotting" and "covering" for my  two other teamates by hitting targets at 200 yards. Eight shots, eight hits.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Really? All I see in those pics are some bench rests and a chair in the background...

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome pics guys!

Stephen please inform us when the short barrel goes on. Keep us posted on how things work out.
Also , how are you liking your SCAR??
Ill get some more pics up soon of my Rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kel:
My Hog-Hunting carbine... all set up for night time bacon slaughter with helmet mounted NODs...

http://i47.tinypic.com/2emfudj.jpg

Kel

GEMTECH TEAM GUY

ARFCOM INDUSTRY DISCLOSURE: I work for a company that sponsors this site.

Looks like an -H w/ HVT.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kalmar:
Really? All I see in those pics are some bench rests and a chair in the background...

Yeah the smoke was really from the cigarettes that I don't smoke.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SRTM4:
Stephen please inform us when the short barrel goes on. Keep us posted on how things work out.

Will do.

I am actually quite enamored with it.  It's got several features that I find to be genuine improvements over the M16FOW.

Stephen

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stephen_101st:

Will do.

I am actually quite enamored with it.  It's got several features that I find to be genuine improvements over the M16FOW.

Stephen

I have been an AR fan since I was a kid. It has served me well through the years. I have really found a liking to the Piston AR's especially LWRC. The guns are top notch, but my SCAR has won me over.
Just as you state, I see some nice improvements over the AR platform in the SCAR. It has become my favorite in the toolbox and I cannot wait to get another one. I want to short barrel it.

I look forward to more reviews from you Stephen on you SCAR. ALways good to hear your viewpoints.

Joey

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Here are the latest pics of my SCAR...

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Thanks!

I installed the MIAD grip by carefully hand filing the material away until it made a good fit on the reciever. This still made for a pretty thin layer of plastic. I simply added a 316 SS flat washer ( that fit perfectly ) in between the hold down bolt and the thin plastic on the MIAD. While still not perfect the washer beefed it up a bit.
If and when Magpul decides to make a tru fit grip , I will replace mine with it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Also, my pics are a pretty good representation of the actual SCAR colors. I took them outside with available light. The gun's colors look much different inside using a flash as does a lot of pics of the SCAR on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I want one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:03:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#16]
Also, my pics are a pretty good representation of the actual SCAR colors. I took them outside with available light. The gun's colors look much different inside using a flash as does a lot of pics of the SCAR on the internet.

Thanks for the heads up on the MIAD install.  I would personally like to see Magpul produce a Moe grip for the SCAR with the rubbery finish of the Ergo grips.  I actualy like the tone variation on the SCARs...doesn't bother me at all.

ETA:  I just noticed your a lefty.  Impressions of left hand operation?

Cheers

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]

I know you've mentioned it before(i forgot) but where did you pick up the flash suppressor and how much?  It makes the barrel look a lot better.  Excellent setup also btw, i want to set mine up that way when i get them (2) .Hopefully the first of next week.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Sinsbad69:

I know you've mentioned it before(i forgot) but where did you pick up the flash suppressor and how much?  It makes the barrel look a lot better.  Excellent setup also btw, i want to set mine up that way when i get them (2) .Hopefully the first of next week.

It's an AAC SPR/M4 Mount, can be had wherever they sell AAC parts.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By renesis:

Originally Posted By Sinsbad69:

Yes, what he said! Any place that you can find Advanced Armament products.
Blackout Flashhider

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

Thanks for the heads up on the MIAD install.  I would personally like to see Magpul produce a Moe grip for the SCAR with the rubbery finish of the Ergo grips.  I actualy like the tone variation on the SCARs...doesn't bother me at all.

Cheers

Im right handed but was taught to shoot left handed at an early age because that was the eye that I could keep open when I was small.
I guess that with the SCAR being a left handed shooter is a good thing. The charging handle being on the right side doesnt get in the way with scope mounts and such.
I need to flip the selector levers. I need the longer one on the opposite side for my thumb to reach.

Awesome rifle! I love the SCAR. I hope that it has a future in the US military.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Cheers

Im right handed but was taught to shoot left handed at an early age because that was the eye that I could keep open when I was small.

I guess that with the SCAR being a left handed shooter is a good thing. The charging handle being on the right side doesnt get in the way with scope mounts and such.

I need to flip the selector levers. I need the longer one on the opposite side for my thumb to reach.

As do I man.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By renesis:

Cheers

As do I man.

I would love to hear more about what is going on at SOCOM with the SCAR. Are they liking it or is it no better than the M4??
Is it going to be adopted or will SOCOM put more money into the 416?
Im guessing that it still may be to early to tell.

Anyway keep the pics coming. We should see some more black SCARS real soon!
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Great pics.  I hope mine is more brown than yellow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 8:19:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tfisch67] [#24]
Oops.  Wrong thread.  I will replace with a pic asap.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 300WSM:
Great pics.  I hope mine is more brown than yellow.

Yeah, i hope mine is more brown also... we shall see.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are some of mine.
If you double click on the pictures it will open up my pictures in Potobucket.
Thanks for looking.

Tomcket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0180.jpg" />" target="_blank">cket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0180.jpg" />hotobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0185.jpg" />" target="_blank">hotobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0185.jpg" />s/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0200.jpg" />[/URL]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_MyOffice-Guns-211.jpg" />[/URL]http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/tombirdman/th_IMG_0148.jpg" />[/URL]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:50:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: seattlite] [#27]

Do you have the can that uses that mount?  If so, does it "ping" on the SCAR?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By seattlite:

Do you have the can that uses that mount?  If so, does it "ping" on the SCAR?

All AAC cans will ping if they use a blackout type flash hider. I have used the SPR/M4 on an AR and it pings as well.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:35:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#29]
Here's a few pics of mine in its most recent configuration.  Myself and Stephen_101st made a SCAR specific range trip on Monday and both blasters functioned flawlessly.  The SCAR definitely has a distinctly different recoil impulse than an AR-15 which is a little difficult to get used to.  It kinda reminds me of my Daewoo or even an AK74.  This rig is definitely a keeper and I cant wait for the F1 to clear.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Awesome Pics!
I agree that the recoil impulse is completely different than an AR. It took a little while getting  use to it and the gun itself compared to my AR's. I really prefer it now.
After shooting AR's with my Dad since I was a kid ( Im 35 now ) , I now have a new favorite weapon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Buddy-nice pics.  Did your SCAR come with the birdcage flash hider?
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 6:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 99HMC4] [#32]
Hers mine after a few updates...

Edit: better pics...
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 11:54:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Accomplice1:
Buddy-nice pics.  Did your SCAR come with the birdcage flash hider?

Thanks.  No it came with the PWS comp however I switched it out with the A2.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Time to bring this thread Btt... SCARs n stuff
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 5:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scooter1942] [#35]

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Great pics scooter and thanks to all for sharing.  I have to say that I regret selling my TA01NSN ACOG every time I see one.

Cheers

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got mine today
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Lovin the Black SCARS!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#39]
This is after a little polishin up.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#40]
The black SCAR is pure sex.  I'll have one to go with my FDE someday.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Moar goodness
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Is FN going to offer the other length barrel assemblies for public sale?  

Will they fit the civi SCAR?
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome .. can we get a pic of the exact rig on the flip side?
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Bryan, what kind of suppressor is that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 8:49:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Lookin' good Bryan!!

Cheers

Page / 74
SCAR pic thread (Page 2 of 74)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top