Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The owner wants $30K, which I dont think is unreasonable.  Hard to price something in this package that I have never seen before.  You have the original box and the buyer will get a copy of his form 4 showing it went from Colt, to his dealer, to the current owner. A verifiable 1 owner M16A1.
View Quote
there is one forsale in a upcoming auction. Along with a new in box M60

https://www.morphyauctions.com/auctions/past-auctions/extraordinary-sporting-collector-firearms/
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Probably $500 plus a $200 tax stamp.
View Quote
Sounds right. Friend of mine bought a new Colt carbine for $550 + $200 in '85. Over the next twenty years he put maybe 200 rounds through it.

Then he passed. Last I saw his relative that ended up with it was doing mag dump videos on Facebook.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds right. Friend of mine bought a new Colt carbine for $550 + $200 in '85. Over the next twenty years he put maybe 200 rounds through it.

Then he passed. Last I saw his relative that ended up with it was doing mag dump videos on Facebook.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably $500 plus a $200 tax stamp.

Oh no someone I don't really know is shooting a used gun.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, I remember those days.  I also remember FJ Vollmer selling M16 A1 and A2 lowers back in 1995 / 1996 for about 1500 bucks. Wow, time to fire up the time machine!
I did score a push pin HK 53 back then for 5500 bucks
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in the day (mid to early 1980's) I think I was paging through a Guns digest yearbook,the thing that was basically all the guns available that year and list price.

If I remember correctly the M16 was something less than $100 more than a AR15 so after the dust settled and tax stamp bought it was about $800.

I thought about it for a while thinking it would be cool but cost of ammo scared me off. Ammo was almost $120 a thousand shipped!
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 1:19:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FWIW, I bought my Colt M16A1 in 1994, right after Congress passed the so-called AW Ban. I saw the writing on the wall, and decided to go for it. I had two Colt SP1 rifles -- a regular one, and a nickel Coltguard one -- that I took to a show, and sold them for $600 and $700 respectively. I scrounged up some cash and bought My M16A1 for the vast sum of $2,000, plus the $200 tax of course.

It was as-new, no box. the only wear was slight finish wear on the face of the hammer. I did an FOIA and got the complete history: It was shipped by Colt on a Form 5 to an LE agency; then on another Form 5 to my dealer. So I am the second owner, but the first non-LE owner. Fortunately, the LE did not mark anything on her, and from the wear I assume it never left the armory rack.

BTW, Colt filed the Form 2 for her on March 7, 1978; I bought her in 1994 and took possession shortly after her 16th birthday. Her name is Suzy Q, and she became mine when she literally was Sweet Sixteen. In the quarter century we've been together, she has fired well over 50k rounds through her 14 uppers (she loves it when I buy her a "new outfit".)

Now Sweet Sixteen is pushing 42 -- in just eight years, she'll be C&R! And all she has to show for it is one nick in the anodizing from a rude H&K at the next position.

And that, my friends, is the long definition of Black Rifle Disease.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just a freshmen in high school at the time so I have no first hand point of reference , but I cant imagine anyone buying an M16 in 1985, would have ANY idea it would be worth close to $30K in 30yrs.

FWIW, I bought my Colt M16A1 in 1994, right after Congress passed the so-called AW Ban. I saw the writing on the wall, and decided to go for it. I had two Colt SP1 rifles -- a regular one, and a nickel Coltguard one -- that I took to a show, and sold them for $600 and $700 respectively. I scrounged up some cash and bought My M16A1 for the vast sum of $2,000, plus the $200 tax of course.

It was as-new, no box. the only wear was slight finish wear on the face of the hammer. I did an FOIA and got the complete history: It was shipped by Colt on a Form 5 to an LE agency; then on another Form 5 to my dealer. So I am the second owner, but the first non-LE owner. Fortunately, the LE did not mark anything on her, and from the wear I assume it never left the armory rack.

BTW, Colt filed the Form 2 for her on March 7, 1978; I bought her in 1994 and took possession shortly after her 16th birthday. Her name is Suzy Q, and she became mine when she literally was Sweet Sixteen. In the quarter century we've been together, she has fired well over 50k rounds through her 14 uppers (she loves it when I buy her a "new outfit".)

Now Sweet Sixteen is pushing 42 -- in just eight years, she'll be C&R! And all she has to show for it is one nick in the anodizing from a rude H&K at the next position.

And that, my friends, is the long definition of Black Rifle Disease.

Same story..I bought an S&H MP5K=PDW and S&H MP5A3 for 4.5K in 2993..this was huge money for a College kid/Army Guy.  My FNC was 1.2K in 1994..again, this was a full months pay.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought my Sendra in 1994 after seeing an ad in the local Arizona Republic classifieds ad said "Machine guns for sale". I called the dealer was a Class 2 Manufacture who had bought a bunch of sendra's back in 86 registered them sold complete guns for $500. He had a customer who wanted to sell it for $1750.00 at the time I thought was lot of money still not that much more then other semi autos like H&K 91's, and FN FALS.

I went to his house and after showing me the Sendra he showed me a powder springs Mac-10 with the factory suppressor he only fired it a few times still in the original box. He wanted $500 for the Mac-10 with the suppressor, but at the time I could not bring myself to pay the ATF $400 in tax on a gun worth $500.  I knew this stuff would go up in value but never this much.

I think the best story I ever heard was the Amnesty guns these were stolen from the military, or un-registered war trophy's kept hidden until a short one month window in 1968 where if you owned a machine gun could register it and get full Amnesty how you ended up with it.  I ran into a guy at the SOF convention in 1992 who was a Vietnam vet who had a M-16 he registered this way. The Amnesty was not that well known he found out about it after seeing an ATF notice posted in a gun store.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Just this past weekend, got to go over to a friend of a friend to 'look at some guns and tell me what I have'.
1- Colt M16A1, registered to the guys father in 1984.
2- MAC10 with the heavy ass step down suppressor, registered to the guys father in 1982.
Neither has been out of the safe in 10+ years, both in great, damn near unfired condition.

Bad news department, the guys father passed away in 2008.  No paperwork updated, nothing.  Just left in the safe and forgotten about.

Trying to convince the guy to at least call a lawyer who does NFA stuff for advice on how to proceed with transferring them, as he has no interest in keeping the guns.
Nope, guy knows real estate law, probate, all that stuff, doesn't want to hear any advice from me.

Some people have all the luck.  I'm not one of them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's hard to imagine this today, before the MG ban, no one wanted them!
almost no one wanted black guns of any kind, they were all poor sellers.

I think the combo of the govt. trying to ban everything & all those big budget Arnold Schwarzenegger movies + the advent of video games created the demand for them that we now see.
In other words the Idiot commies in Hollywood & DC are responsible for the marketing that created the demand for the guns everyone is buying today. Irony at it's best!

Bigbore, Beautiful gun if I was in Free America I'd be hard pressed not to call you & make an offer!
View Quote

true

Colt went thru a few strikes and issues that made them  hard to come by once or 3 times and prices fluctuated a bit, but they were not a fast seller regardless

we built clones using Sendra, SGW or whatever receiver we could find and sold the semi clones for $400, and the Full Auto clones (FFL/SOT) for $600,

this was in the early 80's
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top