Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 2:56:54 AM EDT
I found a used ColtM16A2. It is used but in good shape. Marked burst.

Think I can get it for 18k. How good of a deal do you think this is?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would say it is a good price on it, but I would have to see if first and look it over, but right now, actually 18K seems lower than what I have seen others go for.  Have you checked on the date of manufacture?  Is it through a shop?  Private Party?  Auction?  One of the online shops?

I would make sure and do a complete investigation on it before I committed to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a used, burst marked A2 would be worth maybe 24k, so that is a good deal.  Condition would be the key, and what you can learn about the background of the gun, but if I could buy an A2 for 18k I would do so today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is this at ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
M16 Market Data
Transferable M16 machine guns and estimated market values:
RLL $13-16k
RDIAS $30-35k
RR Non-Colt Cast AR15 Conversion $17-19k
RR Non-Colt AR15 Conversion $18-20k
RR Colt AR15 SP1 Conversion $18-20k
RR Colt AR15 614 $23-25k
RR Colt M16 $25-30k
RR Colt M16A1 $25-30k
RR Colt M16A2 $30-35k
RR Colt M16A2 Commando $35-40k (Marked "Auto" instead of "Burst")

$18k, would be a good deal for a conversion lower, for an actual Colt M16A2 that's an absolute steal.

IMO sell it for $30k as soon as you take ownership and put the $12k profit into the price of a Non-colt RR
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Dang! you're actually smarter and wiser than my lousy retirement investment firm.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

IMO sell it for $30k as soon as you take ownership and put the $12k profit into the price of a price of a Non-colt RR
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Like I said, I would do a complete serial number check on that one, to first make sure it is not a post gun.  For some reason that just seems way low for price, I am not saying anybody is trying a pull a fast one, but with them selling for double that right now, it makes no logical reason to sell a real one for half the price of its value.  That is why I would want a full history on that gun as verified by Colt.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like I said, I would do a complete serial number check on that one, to first make sure it is not a post gun.  For some reason that just seems way low for price, I am not saying anybody is trying a pull a fast one, but with them selling for double that right now, it makes no logical reason to sell a real one for half the price of its value.  That is why I would want a full history on that gun as verified by Colt.
View Quote
Agreed, it seems sketchy, the seller could call up someone like Frank or Reuben and get 80% of market value and have a check in hand in only a few days, so like $24-28k with little hassle and zero risk.

FWIW I would say 90% of the MGs being sold on Armslist are a scam, ive chased countless leads on MGs that were amazing deals, of course they were all too good to be true.

Unless its local and the seller is like some 90 year old grandma seller her late husbands firearm collection, and she doesn't care what she gets I would be suspicious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If it is legit, that is an extremely good price for a Colt A2.  BUY IT if it all checks out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
It could be one of the marked M16A2 but on an A1 receiver forging.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It could be one of the marked M16A2 but on an A1 receiver forging.
View Quote
Even if it were, that would still be a smoking deal. I suspect that something is amiss on this "deal"...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Too good to be true.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
also--too good to be true..why would someone sell it or $-6k to 8k under value

i know of one locally NIB asking $28.5k....so the market is very soft after soooo many new M16a2's on the market in the past 2 years....but $18k is either a sucker or a con man
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:05:53 AM EDT
[#14]
"Too good to be true" is not always the case.  I had a customer buy an HK MP5 with a Qualified sear in it for $21,000 about 6 months ago.  I'm handling the transfer now.  These things do happen.

Just do your homework and dig a little deeper OP. If it is legit, then snatch that up, because that's very cheap for ANY Colt M16.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#15]
We need OP to come back with the result!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm assuming this is what OP was talking about.

Uzitalk thread

If so, personally I'd run away....
Listing says Colt did the conversion....
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm assuming this is what OP was talking about.

Uzitalk thread

If so, personally I'd run away....
Listing says Colt did the conversion....
View Quote
Its a Colt SP1 RR, not an original Factory Colt M16A2.

It appears at someone point someone decided to remark the model as M16A2, and the selector a "Safe, Semi, Burst". Its been very poorly done as you can see the lettering under it. On the bright side the serial number appears to be original, I would ask to see the owners current Form 4 that is was transferred on, and would take note if the ATF made any comments regarding it being remarked with a different model.

$18.5k is a fair price for a regular SP1 conversion RR but given the condition and the headache you may face dealing with the ATf when transferring this I would expect to get it a grand or two under the going price.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Also, back in those days, NFA Branch had not yet issued its requirement that the engraving be placed "conspicuously." Thus, even big-name 07/02s routinely hid their marks -- on AR RR's, a common place was on the rear bottom of the receiver, under the pistol grip. Removing it and checking the tang there is Step One when someone claims his SP was converted by Colt.
View Quote
Just my .02, but I think the NFA Branch's reading of "conspicuously" is flat wrong.  It refers to the nature of the engraving, not its location, but the NFA branch willfully misreads it in my view.  I am unaware that they have been challenged on this point or we have heard from a court or judge, but conspicuous does not mean you have to vandalize your weapon.  "Conspicuously engraved" is not the same as "engraved in a conspicuous location" which is the BS they are pushing now.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top