Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ben:
Goodness gracious some of you don't have enough patience to make it through March Madness, much less wait through the setup and execution of a legal fight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/Form_1_Submitted-2811829.jpg

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Lmao! We will be lucky to own semi automatic firearms soon.

Hope I'm wrong obviously!
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]
@ben I’ll chip in $1k if you get me the ability to legally register a full auto, or buy one OTC
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]

I'll add you to the list in the GD thread.
View Quote

Put me down too, my Sten MK6 is worth over 10 grand . This shit is getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]

For 1k?
View Quote

Sure , if you can pull this off you deserve to get paid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#9]
What’s the GD link?

Also are you doing this through that Montana State Guard bill or solely as a private individual?
I’d support either, but I think the former if you could get it passed would be significantly more likely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Any updates on this you can share @Ben?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:54:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#13]
We need to focus on lawsuits to get favor court rulings against most of the 68 GCA, 925(d)(3), 922(r), then go after 922(o).

Start with the sporting clause. Submit a Form-6 application to import a European AR15 Rifle. When denied, sue ATF on the grounds that the sporting clause is unconstitutional because the second amendment has nothing to do with sporting arms. Take two identical rifles, one imported, one domestically made. How can the state argue its case that one can’t be imported when the other is available over the counter in any gun shop in the US?  Argue that US made ARs are widely available, in common use.

Next, go after sbr, sbs, and aow to remove them from NFA regulation. With braced pistols being ruled as SBRs, we have a very favorable setup to argue that SBRs are in common use. Additionally, show a 14.5” barrel colt 6921 SBR and a 16.1” barrel 6920. Argue that one takes a year for approval, the other goes home the same day it’s purchased. Same rifle. Neither is more dangerous than the other. They are identical. It fails criteria of so many prior court decisions.  Same with angled fore grips for pistols, they are identical functionally to an aow.

Go after the provision of the 68 GCA restricting sales of title-2 firearms to dealers, LE, and gov. Take two identical SBRs, SBSs, and silencers, one group imported, one group domestically made. One legal to own by regular citizens, the other only by dealers, LE, and gov.

Go after the NFA transfer tax. The history of the tax was to make the items too expensive for the average man. Taxing a right is unconstitutional. Poll tax is illegal. I think it could won on those grounds. The approval process is also so long as to be unreasonable.

We shouldn’t stop until 922(o) the MG ban is ruled unconstitutional in court.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Honestly, I think right now getting rid of 922(o) is more possible than getting other stuff off the NFA, except maybe SBRs. The whole categorical ban on possession thing is much harder to defend than a tax under current precedent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
We need to focus on lawsuits to get favor court rulings against most of the 68 GCA, 925(d)(3), 922(r), then go after 922(o).

Start with the sporting clause. Submit a Form-6 application to import a European AR15 Rifle. When denied, sue ATF on the grounds that the sporting clause is unconstitutional because the second amendment has nothing to do with sporting arms. Take two identical rifles, one imported, one domestically made. How can the state argue its case that one can’t be imported when the other is available over the counter in any gun shop in the US?  Argue that US made ARs are widely available, in common use.

Next, go after sbr, sbs, and aow to remove them from NFA regulation. With braced pistols being ruled as SBRs, we have a very favorable setup to argue that SBRs are in common use. Additionally, show a 14.5” barrel colt 6921 SBR and a 16.1” barrel 6920. Argue that one takes a year for approval, the other goes home the same day it’s purchased. Same rifle. Neither is more dangerous than the other. They are identical. It fails criteria of so many prior court decisions.  Same with angled fore grips for pistols, they are identical functionally to an aow.

Go after the provision of the 68 GCA restricting sales of title-2 firearms to dealers, LE, and gov. Take two identical SBRs, SBSs, and silencers, one group imported, one group domestically made. One legal to own by regular citizens, the other only by dealers, LE, and gov.

Go after the NFA transfer tax. The history of the tax was to make the items too expensive for the average man. Taxing a right is unconstitutional. Poll tax is illegal. I think it could won on those grounds. The approval process is also so long as to be unreasonable.

We shouldn’t stop until 922(o) the MG ban is ruled unconstitutional in court.

Honestly, I think right now getting rid of 922(o) is more possible than getting other stuff off the NFA, except maybe SBRs. The whole categorical ban on possession thing is much harder to defend than a tax under current precedent.

922(o) has been ripe for plucking a while now - but as you mention it takes the right case to do so. We certainly have a lot of caselaw on the side of removing the dated possession.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
922 as a whole, needs gutted
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SGT-Fish:
922 as a whole, needs gutted
View Quote

100%.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EagleArmsHBAR] [#18]
No offense, OP, but what makes you think you can get this done now?  Do you know of a certain set of facts that would occur in multiple appellate jurisdictions that could result in a win?  Do you already have a lawyer?  Are you a lawyer?  

For what it's worth, I have long sense held the theory that any machinegun that was owned legally (by govt entities or otherwise legal in some form) prior to 5-19-1986 is transferable, but I don't think that angle has been pushed in the courts yet.

922(o)

(2) This subsection does not apply with respect to

(B) any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

Basically, it is my opinion that if you can locate a machinegun that was lawfully owned by anyone (including the US, State, or local governments) prior to 5-19-1986, there is nothing that can prevent the transfer.  I also think this would apply to "pre samples".  I think that this provision could be the reason that some folks have been approved subsequent to the law taking effect.  If the sporting clause of the GCA of 1968 can be revoked, then I think that the "lawful possession" language would apply to imported machinguns and effectively gut the ban as there would be a huge wave of imported pre-1986 guns available.  

Has anyone ever attempted to force a transfer on a pre sample through litigation?  How many pre samples are out there?  922(o) doesn't say anything about pre samples being for dealers only, but maybe that is controlled by the GCA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Pretty sure he IS a lawyer. Ben doesn't have to find a lawyer.

There are not just posties or transferrables. There are also pre-samples.

NFA is a giant infringement and tax on our rights. Kill it and 922.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Just curious...  are there any other situations in US law where something is legal if you pay a tax, but where the authority of an agency to collect that tax is illegal/blocked/refused?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack_Of_Some_Trades] [#21]
Originally Posted By jtb33:
Just curious...  are there any other situations in US law where something is legal if you pay a tax, but where the authority of an agency to collect that tax is illegal/blocked/refused?
View Quote

ended up getting tossed since you had to self-incriminate to get the stamp to be legal.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#22]
So, has that angle ever been truly litigated?  Requiring a tax be paid for something, but then refusing to accept the willful payment of that tax?
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#24]

I'm actually not. I completed a political philosophy degree as part of a law track program, then went back on active duty. After active duty I became a federal criminal investigator for a tiny organization most folks have never heard of. So I have a bit of experience with the system from the other side.
View Quote

Could have fooled me! Sounds like you know your shit though!
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#25]
So, has this pretty much petered out now?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
I think so.  No updates from OP.  Not sure why he thought he could make this happen.  It will be interesting to see if he pays everyone that made bets with him.  If it is still in process, he needs to post the legal filings that would indicate that something is in the works.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
I think so.  No updates from OP.  Not sure why he thought he could make this happen.  It will be interesting to see if he pays everyone that made bets with him.  If it is still in process, he needs to post the legal filings that would indicate that something is in the works.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:

I think Ben was pretty upfront with the fact that this wouldn’t be a quick thing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]

I'm actually not. I completed a political philosophy degree as part of a law track program, then went back on active duty. After active duty I became a federal criminal investigator for a tiny organization most folks have never heard of. So I have a bit of experience with the system from the other side.
View Quote

The tiny organization hasn't purged you like the FBI would have by now?
Have they even tried?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

I think Ben was pretty upfront with the fact that this wouldn't be a quick thing.
View Quote
Sure...  but ~1 year...  should there be filings or something tangible at this point?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Sure...  but ~1 year...  should there be filings or something tangible at this point?
View All Quotes

I think Ben was pretty upfront with the fact that this wouldn't be a quick thing.

Why's that? Ducks in a row - plus give the man some time to actually get retired and set up in Montana.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Why's that? Ducks in a row - plus give the man some time to actually get retired and set up in Montana.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Not intending to criticize - just curious about the status because it seems odd to tease it to a public gun forum, and then do nothing that's visible for a year.  Seems like it would have been better for him to have gotten the 'ducks in a row' first, and then make a post like this right before filing something - or some other visible action to move it forward.  He created some excitement and then because nothing has emerged for a year, it has waned.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I am rooting for you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
1 year in legal terms is fassssst
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
You missed my point.  If he's got to do behind the scenes work, whether that's 1 year, 2 years, 5 years - whatever - preparing and getting the proverbial ducks in a row; get all that done before you make a thread like this to drum up excitement.

Perhaps he did do that, and his attorneys had something come up that necessitated changing the vector of attack...  or life came at him and he had to postpone his plans...  but he hasn't chimed in on this since July despite posting in other threads, and hasn't really provided any news on plans since he created the thread.

Maybe his attorneys have seen all the recent 2A cases moving rather quickly and feel that it's best to let them play out first.

Was just hoping for an update, is all...  
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
@ben I'll chip in $1k if you get me the ability to legally register a full auto, or buy one OTC
View Quote
I am in for $1,000 also.

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ben] [#36]
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#37]

I have been in and out of the hospital several (read many) times in the last few months and am dealing with a health issue from a line of duty injury, along with the 2nd and 3rd order effects of that injury, before I move forward on this. I apologize, I thought I'd posted that- things are on hold while I try to focus on this alligator that has already climbed into the boat. I still have several projects going on at once that we're already fully in motion, but I don't have the bandwidth to add another until probably early to mid spring.

Ah- I posted it in the GD thread here. Sorry for not posting it both places.
View Quote
Had no idea and didn't see the other thread!  Hopefully you recover quickly and thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't want to derail the thread. But a lot of the people that are saying this could never happen, may or may not have said at one point "Roe v Wade will never get overturned".

Never say never. Good luck OP! I put $50 in the Nolo fund when he tried it. I'd put $50 in your fund if you get the ball rolling in the spring.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:48:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JKH62] [#41]
I hope you prevail.

My PKM / M84 build would be a LOT easier and fun using a form 1.

Even a 2nd amnesty would be a step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I got a case of the sads when I saw FPNI was Pete

Let’s do it for him.

And me.

My bet still stands. $1k at the BBQ table,
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
I hope you prevail.

My PKM / M84 build would be a LOT easier and fun using a form 1.

Even a 2nd amnesty would be a step in the right direction.
View Quote

An amnesty would be easy and not require a law change
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
View Quote

922(o) was passed after the GCA, so an NFA registration amnesty might not apply to machine guns, since 922(o) doesn't also list an amnesty exception.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Was that you that the armed attorneys on YouTube just did a video about?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Blk99sleekbeak:
View Quote

This one?  I was thinking the same thing.

New ATF Case Specifically Targets Machine Guns: This is the Case to Watch
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Blk99sleekbeak:
View Quote

No, that's a different case.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

View Quote

Yep.
By many accounts the registry is not accurate or screwed up. Having another amnesty to correct the registry should be possible since its happened once already.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JKH62:

Yep.
By many accounts the registry is not accurate or screwed up. Having another amnesty to correct the registry should be possible since its happened once already.

View Quote

I've heard a rumor that many of the registered arms in NFA are of people who would be >100 years old.  The only thing is a proper fix probably wouldn't be in the form of an amnesty - it would be - We better up the tax to $2K to pay for annual audits and checks on owners and seize them up on owners death.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top