Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about the MK series of guns?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My first MG was an M11/9, my second an S&W 76. I don't have time to read the whole thread, but if you haven't shot one you really should, it handles completely different from a stock or Lage'd M11/9

https://i.imgur.com/SE1IJHTh.jpg
What about the MK series of guns?
What about them?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What about them?
View Quote
Do you feel like they are on par with the S&W guns?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a MK760 and absolutely love it....the key is good fitting mags and a spare extractors......super controllable and if you are on a budget like me a great deal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you feel like they are on par with the S&W guns?
View Quote
The MK series guns seem to in general have more problems that the S&W guns based off all the posts and conversations I have had over the years.   Conversely, I don't really recall anybody reporting significant issues or having bad things to say about the actual Smith made guns from a reliability perspective.

That said many of the MK series guns have been fixed over the years, now run very well, and do represent a decent savings over the Smith guns.

For me when I bought my Smith 76 the monetary premium was worth it to get a gun that had a better reliability/quality reputation.   For other folks they may have a better place to spend that $3 to $5K difference between a Smith and a MK.

My only advice if buying a MK series is to make sure that it runs well and also runs with multiple different magazines.   If you get one that is a problem child MK you may eat up a bunch of your initial purchase saving sending it off to be fixed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I would agree with the MKs, you need to be careful especially with the versions serial number that do not start with S(submachiengun) the ones like C (carbine) or P (pistol) on the serial number from what I read and heard they are last minute 86 MG ban conversions and some were not done really well.....I am not a gunsmith or expert but if the gun runs well you should have no issues, it is not a complicated weapon.....just replace the springs and extractors......
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never fired nor handled an MK760, but from what I understand their reliability is hit or miss albeit better than the Stemples. Meanwhile my S&W 76 has malfunctioned exactly once (and it was with ammo I least expected to malfunctions - 124gr RN NATO.) A high priced MK760 and good deal S&W 76 are within about a thousand dollars of each other...I've seen MK760's listed as high as $8.5k and S&W 76's as low as $10k. It's up to you whether the difference is meaningful and justified. Had a come across a local MK760 for a few thousand less I'd have probably bought that instead.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top