Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 9:31:15 PM EDT
I'm not wanting to get into what one thinks is better, but what you actually use on your MG's. Whether belt fed, shoulder fired, or machine pistol. What keeps your stuff lubed?

I've always used CLP. Basically on everything. I use the spray can and hose down the bolt. However I'm kind of wanting to try some good grease on my belt fed. Figure why not?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I was firing a MAC10 once and it got so hot that the Rem Oil lube cooked into a sooty paste and hung up the gun.

I switched to Mobil One and never had the problem again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was firing a MAC10 once and it got so hot that the Rem Oil lube cooked into a sooty paste and hung up the gun.

I switched to Mobil One and never had the problem again.
View Quote
This 100%
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Use FP10.

Main issue I have is the bolt is bone dry after 100 rounds, but I think that's more due to the suppressor than the type of oil I use as it seems to stay lubes for 200+ rounds when I shoot unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Mobil 1 10W-40W I do not subscribe to the latest "snake oil" lubes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Been using Breakfree CLP for years, has never let me down on lubrication and rust prevention. No intention to change.

Also use Lucas Gun oil. It's a great oil that doesnt smell at all and seems to stick around a bit better than CLP.

That said I have used Mobil 1 and would have no issues using it either.

I would not however use any of the plant based enviro friendly lubes as they have a tendency to oxidize and leave a gummy mess under certain circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I always hear guys saying they use engine oil....never tried it, but I'm open to it.

Seems like it'd be messy....lower viscosity than gun oils no?

How are you guys applying it?

How's it smell when it's burning off?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use FP10.

Main issue I have is the bolt is bone dry after 100 rounds, but I think that's more due to the suppressor than the type of oil I use as it seems to stay lubes for 200+ rounds when I shoot unsuppressed.
View Quote
The brings up a good point. I wonder if that affects what you use? For example whether you use grease or a oil lubricant. I know when I'm use suppressors with CLP, it turns into a pretty nasty mess sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mobil One and never had the problem
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I use gun oil, what ever is handy at the time, on most of my guns. The only time I use any grease is on high pressure surfaces like sear faces on open bolt guns. The grease I use for that is the old little butt stock pots for the M1/M14 rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The brings up a good point. I wonder if that affects what you use? For example whether you use grease or a oil lubricant. I know when I'm use suppressors with CLP, it turns into a pretty nasty mess sometimes.
View Quote
Yeah I bought some grease awhile back, Ill give it try next weekend at the KY arfcom shoot and see how it holds up vs high round count.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]
KG gun oil for barrels and small parts, Mobil1 for everything else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Mobil 1 for the belt guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top