Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2017 3:48:33 PM EDT
Just started a form 4 for a m2 carbine. Any good readings and accessories spare parts to buy? Where can i get a folding stock that'll fit? Should i buy a shorter barrel? Plan on making this a shooter beater.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Finding good magazines is the tricky part (as with all carbines, the trick to getting them running well is in the mags).

Buy the XP magazine springs from Wolff and it will really reduce stoppages.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the M2 is a pretty good deal these days except the bullets are expensive and hard to find.

If you reload then....
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#5]
M2s are underrated.

IMO Reg receivers are for collectors.

IMO Reg kits are for shooters.  

Serial number on housing is a improper registration, although legal, they are improper and a gray area for ATF.

Kit can be used for .30 carbines, 9mm Iver carbines, 5.7 carbines and even .22LR carbines. Yes I said .22 LR carbines. They can also be used for M1 pistols.

30 round mags are easy to find and come in 4 categories:

Stick with choice 1 and 2.  3 will work. 4 you were warned.

1. USGI hard back and split back
2. Taiwan military. APY are acceptable but not as good as Taiwan.
3. Korean commericial
4. JUNK ie promags.

Ammo is not expensive. PPU is preferred. Buy on sale and its not expensive. Augila can cause problems with being dirty for full auto feeding.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I was interested in transferable M1/M2's, but I read from various sources that the M2's receiver was not intended for sustained fullauto and was prone to failure. How true is this?
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Serial number on housing is a improper registration, although legal, they are improper and a gray area for ATF.
View Quote
More details on this please. First I've heard this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF determines 7 parts is the M2 conversion kit.

In the kit one of the seven parts needs to be serialized.

The housing is not one of the identified parts. The housing is not a M2 machine gun part per ATF.

Disconnector lever
Disconnector
9 spring
Selector switch
Disconnector plunger
Disconnector plunger spring
M2 hammer

Housings that were serialized and registered VS one of the seven parts are considered improper registrations.

Like I said, its a gray area with the ATF.  Improper registration does not mean illegal. It just means its not correct. I shy away from kits that have the housing serialized when I see them for sale. Its not worth the potential trouble if ATF was to someday make a decision on improper registrations.

Improper registrations are not just isolated to M2 Carbines. There are a few AR-15s and HKs out there that are also improper registrations.

Common, proper M2 kit registrations have the serial number on one the following:

Disconnector lever
Selector switch
Disconnector

I have yet to see or hear of the M2 hammer being serialized, but it could be. I just haven't come across one yet.

The disconnector lever is the most common.  The selector switch is the most desirable and can fetch a premium price.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The housing is not one of the identified parts. The housing is not a M2 machine gun part per ATF.

Disconnector lever
Disconnector
9 spring
Selector switch
Disconnector plunger
M2 hammer

Housings that were serialized and registered VS one of the seven parts are considered improper registrations.

Like I said, its a gray area with the ATF.  Improper registration does not mean illegal. It just means its not correct. I shy away from kits that have the housing serialized when I see them for sale. Its not worth the potential trouble if ATF was to someday make a decision on improper registrations.

Improper registrations are not just isolated to M2 Carbines. There are a few AR-15s and HKs out there that are also improper registrations.

Common, proper M2 kit registrations have the serial number on one the following:

Disconnector lever
Selector switch
Disconnector

I have yet to see or hear of the M2 hammer being serialized, but it could be. I just haven't come across one yet.

The disconnector lever is the most common.  The selector switch is the most desirable and can fetch a premium price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disconnector lever
Disconnector
9 spring
Selector switch
Disconnector plunger
M2 hammer

Disconnector lever
Selector switch
Disconnector

Good to know. I always assumed a trigger housing would be more desirable than a single part, like an HK trigger pack.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting. What info is engraved in addition to the serial number?
Is there room for the Manufacturer, City, State? Model and caliber?
Was all that info required back when they were made? Do those parts even have enough space for all of it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Interesting. What info is engraved in addition to the serial number?
Is there room for the Manufacturer, City, State? Model and caliber?
Was all that info required back when they were made? Do those parts even have enough space for all of it?
View Quote
The lever is the most common and will have the sn, name, and city and state. At least all the ones I have seen.

On the small parts it is just the sn I assume. I have never seen one of the small parts in person. I assume because sn only was allowed on FNC sears and HK sears due to the small size.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, the trip lever is one of the more failure-prone components of the M2 carbine, although I’m sure they’re easy to repair. Of the seven listed M2 carbine select-fire parts, it is the one with the most “real estate” for engraving the NFA manufacturer’s info.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Hornady still makes the 30 cal 110gr FMJ.  Plenty of bullets.
A local shop has sold several 30 M1 Carbine 650 conversion kits and 550 kits too they said.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hornady still makes the 30 cal 110gr FMJ.  Plenty of bullets.
A local shop has sold several 30 M1 Carbine 650 conversion kits and 550 kits too they said.  
View Quote
What on earth are you talking about 650, 550 conversion kits? What is that?

A transferable kit will usually be more than $6,000, carbine not included and subject to NFA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What on earth are you talking about 650, 550 conversion kits? What is that?

A transferable kit will usually be more than $6,000, carbine not included and subject to NFA.
View Quote
Dillon reloader conversion kit
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#16]
So picked it up. The mag it came with was a POS and could not feed more than the first round. I spread apart the feed lips on the right side and now it runs flawless. As in did 3 mag dumps no problem.
I really have no idea what to think of this gun. My form 4 says "Unknown" for manufacturer, but lists it as M2 carbine and machine gun, not machine gun sear or anything like that.
The receiver has Inland stamped on it, along with the barrel, but there's NOWHERE on the receiver that says M1 or M2. I'd really like to get some history on this gun and figure out it if its an original factory machine gun or hobbled together after the fact. I'm guessing since manufacturer is unknown its old enough that ATF records don't go back far enough for it.
Either way, it runs great, got it for a good cheap price, and will definitely be a range toy and not babied in the safe. But holy crap, does the muzzle climb on full auto. I guess Hk's and m4s have spoiled me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Manufacturer and serial are under the rear sight. This example was made by the Inland Division of GM.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Well ill be damned. Thr markings were faint as hell but it says 30 cal m1.
Although the paperwork says m2. Not sure what to do now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Does the paperwork have the serial number of the receiver? Is that number found on any of the M2-specific conversion parts?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Ill check it out tomorrow when I get a spare moment. Yea, I kinda bought this on a let it ride moment... I normally do the hell out of my research on ARs, HK sears, and other more modern MGs, but didn't know diddly about the ole m2 carbines. I bought it for just north of 6k less than a year ago so I think I did alright; I'm sure Ill get my moneys worth out of it. Im just happy the thing ran without a single feed or ejection problem.
Pretty sure its a registered receiver but once I figure out how to disassemble it Ill check for numbers around the guts. If its a simple registered GI gun, will there be any serial numbers at all besides the receiver and the barrel? IIRC, it was advertised as matching barrel and receiver.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#28]
The form 4  says "unknown" and not other for manufacturer.. Thats the fun part
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]
If you are going to reload for that M1/M2 be sure to TRIM those .30 carbine cases.  Slows things down for volume but will prevent later issues.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top