BCM
User Panel

Griffin Recce 5? (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
@Green0 I'd probably do a taper-5 over a hub-5 to compliment the dual-lok cans. If you guys go that route I call dibs on serial number 1.
View Quote

I'd buy one too
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
@Green0 I'd probably do a taper-5 over a hub-5 to compliment the dual-lok cans. If you guys go that route I call dibs on serial number 1.
View Quote

Wouldn’t a taper mount DL5 be an Explorr taper mount? And a taper mount HRT would essentially be a Recce. I don’t see a need for HUB-compatible DL5/7 because the Explorr utility mount exists.

Am I not understanding what you’re asking for?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

Wouldn’t a taper mount DL5 be an Explorr taper mount? And a taper mount HRT would essentially be a Recce. I don’t see a need for HUB-compatible DL5/7 because the Explorr utility mount exists.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No. Dual-lok are high(er) flow and the explorr behaves more like the hrt design. That's why both the dual-lok and hrt exist-they look similar but are internally very different
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]

No. Dual-lok are high(er) flow and the explorr behaves more like the hrt design. That's why both the dual-lok and hrt exist-they look similar but are internally very different
View Quote

Gotcha.

I’ve got an EU2 pending, planning on an EU3 when I can catch the right price. The Recce 5k is intriguing to me. It’s heavier than I would typically like for its size, but for some reason I really want one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:00:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#5]

Gotcha.

I’ve got an EU2 pending, planning on an EU3 when I can catch the right price. The Recce 5k is intriguing to me. It’s heavier than I would typically like for its size, but for some reason I really want one.
View All Quotes

Gotcha.

Have you had a chance to put some rounds through your explorr yet?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

I haven’t, my dealer doesn’t have a range. But IHTFP08 let me play with his ET2 a couple of times and I was impressed.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:39:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#7]

I haven’t, my dealer doesn’t have a range. But IHTFP08 let me play with his ET2 a couple of times and I was impressed.
View All Quotes

They are awesome. I felt a decent performance increase between the last gen and the current ones.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
if I were doing it, I’d just do taper mount, also. The main reason I want Griffin to keep doing HUB cans is so they keep making Plan A for my other cans. Native taper mounts would be fine with me, just like I’m happy with my gate lok cans, and A2 hub adapters.

The Dual Lock can does have a very different baffle design than what I’m used to seeing on Griffin cans. Intriguing. I’m not going to say I promise I’ll buy one if they make it, but I will say that the reason I haven’t bought one yet is that I don’t want to do another mounting system right now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
I haven't checked the weight, but the GP-7 might fit your need. I have the idea of using one to one-stamp a. 8.5" blackout. (pre-drilled for a P&W)
Does 15.3oz qualify as light?
GP-7 Linky

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
... to dedicate to my 6.75" MCX .300BO.  I want something light weight, so if I can figure out if another Griffin fits the bill, I'll probably go that route.
I haven't checked the weight, but the GP-7 might fit your need. I have the idea of using one to one-stamp a. 8.5" blackout. (pre-drilled for a P&W)
Does 15.3oz qualify as light?
GP-7 Linky

That's certainly "lighter" than the SIG SRD762QD I'm running now.  The can in 18.8oz, and the mount is like 3.5oz.  It's a great suppressor, but it's heavy.  I was thinking more along the lines of an Explorr direct thread mount.  The 6.75" SIG's don't play well with super low back pressure suppressors.  I'd love to go titanium, but I'm not sure I'm ready to make that leap quite yet.

I wish there were more reviews of the Explorr 30's online.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#10]
Full disclosure I like aesthetics of the short plan a hub mount on the EU2 more than taper one. I know I know function over form... that's what fueled the 'hub-5' idea.

Point is is would totally buy a taper-5. Even with the 'normal' plan a mount
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Full disclosure I like aesthetics of the short plan a hub mount on the EU2 more than taper one. I know I know function over form... that's what fueled the 'hub-5' idea.

Point is is would totally buy a taper-5. Even with the 'normal' plan a mount
View Quote

Fully agree. The taper mount Explorr looks like the Plan A XL which I’ve never cared for aesthetically. If the taper mount version had the aesthetics of the Plan A Long I’d buy an ET2 and ET3.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Fully agree. The taper mount Explorr looks like the Plan A XL which I’ve never cared for aesthetically. If the taper mount version had the aesthetics of the Plan A Long I’d buy an ET2 and ET3.
View Quote

Agreed...I really like the look of the Plan A long adapter. Even though I bought the UM Explorr, I also picked up the long mount because I really liked the look of it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#13]

The Recce 5k is intriguing to me. It's heavier than I would typically like for its size, but for some reason I really want one.
View Quote
It's really not that small. It's the same length as a full size Polonium (but a lot lighter and much better back pressure).

Even comparing the Recce 5 and 5K side by side, it's just a little shorter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd strongly consider the explorr 224 instead. the light weight is worth the extra $$$ at no noticeable loss in performance. I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#15]
That kinda what made me wonder about the Recce 5k. Granted it’s different product lines with different durabilities and usages but the Recce 5k and Explorr are basically the same size. That alone would make me go Explorr.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:51:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#16]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
That kinda what made me wonder about the Recce 5k. Granted it's different product lines with different durabilities and usages but the Recce 5k and Explorr are basically the same size. That alone would make me go Explorr.
View Quote
The Recce 5s have more material so it's a bigger heat sink. It can take more heat before you need to let it cool down. Green0 said the Explorr is fine for a few mag dumps of maybe 120rds-ish before it needs to cool down.  On the flip side the Recce will need a longer cool down time and the Explorr will cool down much more rapidly.

So in theory, the Recces could handle a full auto belt fed, but then would need a long cooldown. You could comfortably shoot the Explorr all day long at a semi-auto pace of doubles and triples for two mags, reload two mags, dump two mags, reload two mags, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got a 5K and Checkmate HD I’m still waiting for approvals on from the black Friday sale.  Just need another sale like that and I’d go for an Explorr as well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
The Recce 5s have more material so it's a bigger heat sink. It can take more heat before you need to let it cool down. Green0 said the Explorr is fine for a few mag dumps of maybe 120rds-ish before it needs to cool down.  On the flip side the Recce will need a longer cool down time and the Explorr will cool down much more rapidly.

So in theory, the Recces could handle a full auto belt fed, but then would need a long cooldown. You could comfortably shoot the Explorr all day long at a semi-auto pace of doubles and triples for two mags, reload two mags, dump two mags, reload two mags, etc, etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
That kinda what made me wonder about the Recce 5k. Granted it's different product lines with different durabilities and usages but the Recce 5k and Explorr are basically the same size. That alone would make me go Explorr.

Yep the Explorr probably glows pretty quick under Nods and thermal.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the thought of the taper 5.  I’d buy one too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I hate that the aesthetics bother me so much but I completely agree with you guys here. Considering the Plan A Long adapter is so light I wonder what the weight difference would be for a hypothetical taper mount Explorr with a welded Plan A Long styled rear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Mr_Goodkat:

I hate that the aesthetics bother me so much but I completely agree with you guys here. Considering the Plan A Long adapter is so light I wonder what the weight difference would be for a hypothetical taper mount Explorr with a welded Plan A Long styled rear.
View Quote

We need @Green0 to do some science
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I doubt it would take off much weight. It looks like part of the weight difference in the L and regular Plan As is inside the can.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The Plan A Long does look good, and for those interested it does allow the use of the long flash hiders (2.25” and 2.75”) on the Polonium K
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
My Recce 5 (Mod 3…I need to upgrade the stack) is 3/4” longer and 1oz lighter  than my AAC Mini-4, and it blows the pants off if it in terms of sound and suppression.  I’ve been using it on a 13.9” for the time being but it’s been on everything between 10.5” and 20” 5.56.  

I’d definitely buy another one however, the 5oz weight savings with the Explorr224 is appealing
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Goodkat] [#25]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
I doubt it would take off much weight. It looks like part of the weight difference in the L and regular Plan As is inside the can.
View Quote

I'm not expecting it to be lighter although that would be nice. My point was more that if a similar enough weight could be achieved despite the different geometry I would greatly prefer those aesthetics. It's questionable whether it would due to the differences in welded vs hub. Plan A Long in the utility Explorer looks great but the extra weight feels bad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Green0:

The Explorr mount (if you just consider the material relevant to the mount only vs Plan A L) is .47 ounces lighter.  So I guess that means we could technically make a lighter Plan A if we did it that way (explorr looking rear interface), the only issue would be that it wouldn't have the spanners for tightening it so people would have to carry a big ass wrench around to have that std HUB spanner functionality, and the part wouldn't look as nice.

I guess I was surprised by that answer from Solidworks, because the Plan A L is already pretty light.

There is some fairly major gripping utility afforded by the Plan A L though, so maybe that's worth the .47 ounce weight gain?
View Quote

I'm not sure the weight reduction is worthwhile but the plan a and Plan AL both look cooler than the XL

frankly I'm just nitpicking and if this happened whatever mount made the most sense while keeping it as short as possible is cool with me
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]

The Explorr mount (if you just consider the material relevant to the mount only vs Plan A L) is .47 ounces lighter.  So I guess that means we could technically make a lighter Plan A if we did it that way (explorr looking rear interface), the only issue would be that it wouldn't have the spanners for tightening it so people would have to carry a big ass wrench around to have that std HUB spanner functionality, and the part wouldn't look as nice.

I guess I was surprised by that answer from Solidworks, because the Plan A L is already pretty light.

There is some fairly major gripping utility afforded by the Plan A L though, so maybe that's worth the .47 ounce weight gain?
View Quote

Could you share screenshots? I'm not sure I'm following you 100%.

While you're here I'm curious is the functional geometry of the flash hider end cap identical between the Recce 5/7 and Explorr .224/.300? It looks the same aside from being blended on the Recce and a raised hexagon on the Explorr but it's hard to tell for sure.

While looking up weights on the Griffin website I was reminded that this image showing the Plan A Long+Explorr combo is on there.

What do you guys think, would you take .47oz extra weight for that geometry? Compared to:
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
What do you guys think, would you take .47oz extra weight for that geometry? Compared to:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-lbyqmcyjkm/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/405/2300/IMG_5774__00003.1647873378.jpg
View Quote

That’s definitely not good looking
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
While the stock Explorr taper mount shape/length is a personal nit-pick for me, I'd keep the shape for one specific reason - it lets you recess your muzzle device and can that little bit further under a rail.

I'd love to show you pictures, but it turns out the SDXC card for the camera I was using is not compatible with the SD slot in my old laptop. Until I get a new reader, No Pics For You!
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-lbyqmcyjkm/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/405/2300/IMG_5774__00003.1647873378.jpg

I don't know if I'd go that far...
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#32]

100%

If I'm choosing between 2 cans with .5oz weight difference and all else being equal, I'm choosing the one that looks best.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#33]
Neither concern me. I suspect I’m in the minority, though; style points are a high priority for some of the brands that own a huge chunk of market share.

I see the Explorr as a good example of form following function, like the Recce. That’s a compliment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Could you share screenshots? I'm not sure I'm following you 100%.

While you're here I'm curious is the functional geometry of the flash hider end cap identical between the Recce 5/7 and Explorr .224/.300? It looks the same aside from being blended on the Recce and a raised hexagon on the Explorr but it's hard to tell for sure.

While looking up weights on the Griffin website I was reminded that this image showing the Plan A Long+Explorr combo is on there.
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-lbyqmcyjkm/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/530/3268/IMG_8991__22737.1666302705.jpg
View Quote

One of the 2 reasons I may get a UM explorr over a TM, is because the TM portion of the TM explorr looks.....unappealing. that plan a L looks way better. But if I was to get a UM, I'd just get the ecco adapter because Titanium
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I thought about lightening the Recce 5 with that Plan A L geometry, but then you think also about killing the appearance of a Recce 5...    At that point maybe the Recce 5 should be tubeless too, if we are trying to make it lighter? But at what point is it no longer a Recce 5?   The question mark is indicative of the reality that when you ask yourself these questions, sometimes no clear answers present themselves.  

Giving the Explorr a mount that adds weight has similar implications.  

Decisions on this stuff are hard to make.
View Quote

The recce should not be tubeless. You leave those beautiful tanks alone!
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]

The recce should not be tubeless. You leave those beautiful tanks alone!
View Quote
A Recce2 though....
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:11:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#38]
I thought about lightening the Recce 5 with that Plan A L geometry, but then you think also about killing the appearance of a Recce 5...    At that point maybe the Recce 5 should be tubeless too, if we are trying to make it lighter? But at what point is it no longer a Recce 5?   The question mark is indicative of the reality that when you ask yourself these questions, sometimes no clear answers present themselves.  

Giving the Explorr a mount that adds weight has similar implications.  

Decisions on this stuff are hard to make.
View Quote
If you can make the Recce lighter without sacrificing durability, that's a win win. But otherwise that's what the Explorr is for, no? Though I would love to see a Hub version of the Recce 5, especially the 5K.

As far as the Explorr, lightness and aesthetics are concerned, personally my preference is the Explorr Utility Hub version with Ecco's Ti Plan A mount adapter. It's 10.5oz combined and looks great.

That said, I have a fixed mount Explorr on my short list for the next free tax stamp promo so I'll have one of each in 5.56 plus a 30 cal Hub version.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Between this thread and all the fast approval time threads (even though I'm a trust) I caved and ordered the last Explorr224 utility mount CA had in stock this morning.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By captexas:
Between this thread and all the fast approval time threads (even though I'm a trust) I caved and ordered the last Explorr224 utility mount CA had in stock this morning.
View Quote

I bought one and almost bought a second.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By captexas:
View Quote
You'll like the Explorr. It's a great all around 5.56 can.  I'm seriously thinking about getting a second one and I never buy two of the same suppressor.

Good luck with a fast approval!
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Of 556 cans I'm 2 of 2 in explorr's...
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Having a hard time not pulling the trigger on an HRT.  Griffin's mod 4 baffle designs are really that good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Any details on the HRT5 revision? Mentioned briefly on Q&A Friday, beefed up baffle and front cap changes?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:12:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#46]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
Any details on the HRT5 revision? Mentioned briefly on Q&A Friday, beefed up baffle and front cap changes?
View Quote

Disregard
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Is the Recce5 rated for use on larger cased 22 caliber rifles like 22-250, 222 that kind of thing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Same here. I use my Recces on short SBRs (the R5 Mod4 on a 10.5" and the 5K on 11.5 and 12.5"), mostly due to the weight and size. The Explorr goes on 14.5" and longer barreled guns. I love all three cans.
View Quote

This isn't the best thread for it, but I'd love to hear all about the 5K on a 12.5" and how it compares to other configurations so I can figure out if I want to get one when they come back in stock. I'm getting impatient waiting for Kit Badger's dedicated review, and someone in a recent video (at 9:56) mentioned the 5K is "very gassy" on a 14.5 Colt carbine. I realize that could be in relation to the high-flow suppressors they had on their channel, could be influenced by the particular gun, and he does mention it is a lot better in that regard than his older full-size Recce. A PM is also very welcome if you're willing to discuss this elsewhere.
Page / 4
Griffin Recce 5? (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top