BCM
User Panel

CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 13 of 16)
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:

I thought Jay was invited to the Summit but turned it down. Didn't want to assist people cutting into his monopoly?
View Quote

I haven’t seen proof of if he was invited or wasn’t invited. If he was, then that’s a bad look for him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#2]
Originally Posted By DDS87:

I did earn a Bachelor of Science with honors at one point but it's been a while, maybe I'm not scientifically literate anymore. My discipline didn't go much into sound waves so I wasn't going to just assume things about reflected sound waves and that the free field waveform is all we would need to know. If that's the case, very well.

If the dosing scores are of variable value and only apply to the free field testing, do you think there is anything to gain by more in-depth testing with (more) reflective surfaces? Would you expect the ordinal rankings to be the same?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Anyone scientifically literate and possessing a calculator can determine the effects of the wall reflection. Which are further away than ground reflection typically is, and thus more delayed. You don’t need a waveform for that, anymore than you need an EKG to determine if someone has a pulse.

It’s funny that we’re all capable of digesting $10 phrases like FRP propagation, but not able to calculate things that would be covered in middle school.

While the pursuit of knowledge is amazing, what you said perfectly illustrates the problem of majoring in the minors.

I did earn a Bachelor of Science with honors at one point but it's been a while, maybe I'm not scientifically literate anymore. My discipline didn't go much into sound waves so I wasn't going to just assume things about reflected sound waves and that the free field waveform is all we would need to know. If that's the case, very well.

Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

Reflections are subject to inverse square law attenuation as well as absorption and frequency filtering effects.  Up against a hard wall is a different experience than the stand-off distances where the ear perceives discrete reflections. So is shooting prone from the ground.  Thus a hearing safe “dosing score” is itself of variable value for broad use cases other than providing an ordinal ranking for close sounding cans.

If the dosing scores are of variable value and only apply to the free field testing, do you think there is anything to gain by more in-depth testing with (more) reflective surfaces? Would you expect the ordinal rankings to be the same?

@DDS87 I wasn't saying anything against you or anybody else. I'm pointing out many get wrapped up into unimportant details instead of focusing on the bottom line. Sort of how we like to argue about barrel length and whatnot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

I think the combinatorics of even select candidate testing would get very messy very quickly. Once one (say the army or a big agency) selects a single given design based on a whole host of operational and integrational criteria then characterizing some other ‘standard’ environments might be useful. Say for limiting exposure in training.

I don’t know how the rank order would change. The frequency content of the suppressor versus the reflected transfer function could flip things around.

I don’t as yet understand how some suppressors have a higher composite score than the constituent scores  (thus not a weighted average) and some have what appear to be an unknown weighted average of ear and muzzle. Jay’s reducing a response surface to a single scalar so perhaps he’s generating a third derived / composite surface before creating the composite score.  

For now I take it at face value that a higher score does less damage under free field conditions but may not sound quieter.  This for the specific host.  Change barrel length, gas tuning, muzzle devices, suppressor front caps, etc. and the sensitivity shift is unknown.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#4]

View Quote
I’m not accusing you of scientific illiteracy, or anything else.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#6]
Add Silencershop, Suppressed Nation, and at least 2 of our members here with what I believe are the correct equipment.

And guys, can we not pretend that Jay invented and standardized the dosing thing? He didn’t. I don’t think he even claimed to have invented it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
@Green0

Thanks for being here and giving us your view of an industry insider.  You are a large part of why I just purchased a Rugged Silencer and will likely have more in the future.

I do have a few ?'s you might be able to answer.  

How long does it take to test a single suppressor? Assuming everything is set up, you take 5 or 10 shots, how quickly is the data produced?  Is it literally and simply the DB numbers?  How fast was TBAC able to run through a single suppressor at the Silencer Summit?  I assume there is some sort of program that makes the charts and graphs.  I suppose for a lack of my ability to clearly state my question, is it like an accel program what once the numbers (shots) are input the, computer does the rest in a matter of minutes?

I once asked Jay how long it took to get results from a test and didn't get an answer.

Secondly, deeper tones are generally considered more 'pleasant'.  What factors go into achieving a deeper tone; can volume, material, end cap, baffles etc...  How much attention do you pay to the 'tone' of a can?  How many DB's would you give away for a better tone (1, 2, 4, 6)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Okay, no problem, I probably misinterpreted that.

Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:

@DDS87 I wasn't saying anything against you or anybody else. I'm pointing out many get wrapped up into unimportant details instead of focusing on the bottom line. Sort of how we like to argue about barrel length and whatnot.

Yeah, you're probably right, I am guilty of that. It would be fascinating to see if there are any anomalies, like a suppressor that doesn't have a great muzzle signature doing better than one that does etc., but it's also easy for me to say when I'm not the one who has to do the real work to conduct that testing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1: @Green0

Thanks for being here and giving us your view of an industry insider.  You are a large part of why I just purchased a Rugged Silencer and will likely have more in the future.
View Quote

Oof!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CJofFL:

Oof!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJofFL:
Originally Posted By bmarshall1: @Green0

Oof!

Are you going to tell him or is he going to find out the hard way?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By emccracken: Are you going to tell him or is he going to find out the hard way?
View Quote

I notice you didn’t either, so… I think we both know the answer to that
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By emccracken:

Are you going to tell him or is he going to find out the hard way?
View Quote

Ok, I will, lol.

Green0 represents Griffin Armament, not Rugged Suppressors. Both make cool cans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Green0:
Bill Gates can’t get $400 a year from 365 users without having his software engineers break their software constantly to keep people dependent on updates and subscription services and new versions.
View All Quotes
Bill Gates can’t get $400 a year from 365 users without having his software engineers break their software constantly to keep people dependent on updates and subscription services and new versions.
That’s pretty much the sum of it. And they know that many people won’t look at alternatives because gov’t and institutional use make it the devil we know. I don’t know for sure if it would be plug and play with B&K, but I use Open Office instead of Microsoft products on my personal laptop. Typical productivity stuff generated there are transparently compatible with Microsoft products, and vice-versa.

More volume is going to increase performance so long as the baffle technology is identical.  Often companies with larger cans have them because their technology is poor and they use volume to make up for the technology they don’t have.
No doubt. This can be good, too, if the pricing reflects that. And I suspect that even with companies using well-developed baffle designs, the engineers can use extra volume to mitigate the impact of some performance tradeoffs. To use an extreme example, if the engineer gets a form factor goal of 2” x 12” vs 1.5” x 5”, he might be able to design a can that is better in every way except weight and size, without a backpressure penalty.   In a more realistic example, K cans used to not only be loud, but also have more backpressure. The opposite of having your cake and eating it, too. People often say that one 7.62 can sounds as good or better than a 5.56 can. Well, yeah, it’s 25% longer with 3 more baffles to mitigate the like 50% greater bore area. Of course they sound similar under earpro.

The most dramatic tonal differences I have seen are probably something where I would be willing to lose 1.5 maybe 2 DB for a better sounding configuration. Most of the time better tone favors the better performing silencer in peak sound.
Interesting to see you confirm that in quantifiable terms. I’ve long thought that quieter silencers not only sound better, but also usually “sound better”. The tone thing sometimes seems like coping-hagen, and I think reviewers sometimes talk about it to have something nice to say.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#15]

I thought Jay was invited to the Summit but turned it down. Didn't want to assist people cutting into his monopoly?
View Quote

"I heard" shouldn't be enough evidence to repeat unsubstantiated rumors, all it does is damage reputations. After its been confirmed by multiple others in this thread that Jay wasn't invited, your comment is rather odd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:
They could invite a social media influencer to report on the Sound Summit stuff, but inviting one of the few people openly pushing for better testing wasn’t important? I would have rather seen Jay there instead of The Gun Collective.
View Quote

Valid point. I find it rather odd that the industry as a whole is treating "testing" as some 4 letter word.

My point stands, if they wanted data to lead these discussions, instead of marketing, they should have agreed on the testing standards themselves.

Most of the industry seems to be mad that someone made that decision for them, knowing that they had no intent to do so on their own.

The argument for "self-governance" within any large industry is routinely like this. Great in theory, until you find out multiple industries are dumping waste into our water, and the only self-governance agreed between them is to all look the other way.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AleksanderSuave:

"I heard" shouldn't be enough evidence to repeat unsubstantiated rumors, all it does is damage reputations. After its been confirmed by multiple others in this thread that Jay wasn't invited, your comment is rather odd.
View Quote

Yup, that's why I used the operative 'thought' instead of stating it as a fact.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:28:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Indeed it shouldn't be. What not-“I heard” evidence are you presenting that Jay was intentionally left out? I don’t know either way about that.

I read that the first time but it didn’t seem like an intentional insult so I didn’t see the point of making a thing of it. I think Rugged has done a fairly good job of manufacturing, and I know they test products and they have published some of their results. I mentioned them on the answer to who tests.  And I missed suppressed nation and that wasn’t intentional.

I agree that the reduced cyclic rate area is a place where greater volume might help, but Im not sure the tactical operators (mil/le/agency) want to tolerate longer cans.
View Quote
I didn’t read anything malicious into any of that.

No, I don’t think they’d want to tolerate longer cans. For professional carbine users, shorter is generally better to a point. “Balanced” means something different in every different use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#20]
On the topic of CAT suppressors... wanted to get any insights you folks may have on the cleaning/maintenance issue:

I reached out to the folks at CAT suppressors as I’m considering ordering a WB 718 as my next 556k can. It has everything I want – weight, size, backpressure, performance… the track record obviously isn’t there yet for the company so it’s a bit of an expensive gamble ($1,400+ with tax stamp) but for what I’m seeing it seems best in class (for now). My main concern is long-term durability and maintenance requirements.

I asked CAT directly about a recommended cleaning schedule and they basically said it’s advisable to keep it as clean as possible, as close to brand new as you can for optimal performance. Basically if the can has no added weight it’s performing at its best and the more weight that accumulates, the more performance will degrade.

Now in theory that makes sense, but in practice I’m wondering how onerous maintenance will be and how this affects long-term performance. Do I need to clean it ever 1k rounds religiously to prevent massive performance degradation? Or is a 2k round cleaning schedule a generally good idea to prevent long-term issues but realistically neglecting to do so wouldn’t make a huge difference? I don’t shoot a massive amount but this early in the game it’s hard to say what’s going to happen here… they have higher round count Ti versions but even those haven’t gone beyond a couple thousand. I wish we had a better idea how this technology will function long-term even under neglect… I don’t want to drop $1.4k on a can only to discover in a year or two that it essentially turns into a lead tube if I don’t clean it every couple range trips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Their guidance on cleaning, assuming someone wants to maintain "like new" performance, is to weigh the can upon receipt and clean it once its weight increases by 2 ounces.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]

To the commentary of testing being a four letter word (which I’m assuming is a negative connotation), Testing that has a cost measured in the profit on 53 units sold is not helpful to the bottom line of companies, and is obviously more of a marketing spend, because most companies have their own testing equipment.  The companies have to support their employees and attempt to give those people a bright outlook on the future. They also have to support customers and some of the profit covers unprofitable undertakings like customer service and warranty repair.

I haven’t ever seen a grocery store hand out 53 cases of free beer to promote a brand of beer.  Grocery stores make a lot of money and mass produced beer costs something like $0.23 a can to make so it is a high profit item.
View Quote

Grocery stores are high risk high volume businesses. Their net profit margin is 1% to 3%. Their add buy on "gross" sales as a percent is between .7% and 1% on average. Their lease liability per 20 year term typically exceeds 10mm. The grocery businesses is a very developed, competitive market segment. In terms of dollars, grocery stores lose far more than the cost of 53 cases of beer each day as a result of expiring inventory. If they could give that amount of money away instead, and exchange it for a potentially positive marketing result, they'd be thrilled.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting, I hadn't heard the 2 ounces part.  I wonder what kind of shooting schedule it would take to accumulate 2 ounces of fouling...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
That’s a great question - I don’t have any idea as well. I’d imagine that weight accumulation correlates to suppressor design elements to some degree, as well as other variables such as bullet weight, charge, powder type, barrel length, etc. Without considering all the many variables, simplistically it would be interesting to compare round count needed to accumulate an ounce of additional weight for both a traditional restrictive designed suppressor vs an early venting lower back pressure designed suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:12:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#25]

To the commentary of testing being a four letter word (which I’m assuming is a negative connotation), Testing that has a cost measured in the profit on 53 units sold is not helpful to the bottom line of companies, and is obviously more of a marketing spend, because most companies have their own testing equipment.  The companies have to support their employees and attempt to give those people a bright outlook on the future. They also have to support customers and some of the profit covers unprofitable undertakings like customer service and warranty repair.

I haven’t ever seen a grocery store hand out 53 cases of free beer to promote a brand of beer.  Grocery stores make a lot of money and mass produced beer costs something like $0.23 a can to make so it is a high profit item.
View Quote

Why that type of extensive testing be done on any product that only sells 53 units? Unless it was a limited run, with an extremely high profit margin, no, that wouldnt make sense.

My comment was about testing suppressors, not charging handles (or whatever other product you're mentioning that only sells 53 units). I imagine it makes more financial sense to do more publishable testing on a $1000 product than a $100 product, but I dont disagree with your point, volume could absolutely change that.

Case in point.. you have a video showing testing of the Recce 5k vs the flow 556k. I never saw/heard anything about that until after ordering my flow 556k. I would have considered the Recce instead had there been any 3rd party testing or published data available. I doubt Im the only one, as there's a pretty quite a few large reddit discussions about this same exact topic.

I also have never gotten a case of beer for free, but I have purchased plenty of products in the pantry that were purchased due to sampling (costco samples)..and Ive seen plenty others due the same, so I dont really understand that analogy.

When it comes to "data" being published, there's always going to be a healthy amount of skepticism by consumers, when that information is sourced from someone who stands to gain in market share, or product sales. Thats why people trust 3rd party testing more.

Same reason I dont trust Ford publishing testing of a Chevy, or Tesla's Cyber truck demo video pulling the Ford, or anything similar to it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AleksanderSuave] [#26]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I haven’t seen proof of if he was invited or wasn’t invited. If he was, then that’s a bad look for him.
View Quote

It wasn't hard to find that proof, if you were looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlGpHyF5bQ

In the comments:

If you watched any of the videos on the silencer sound summit (or whatever they decided to call it), there was plenty of pot shots at Jay/Pewscience and how this was supposed to be some "new" standard.

It is a bad look, just not on the party you were referring to. I cant imagine Ford (or their top leadership) attacking someone like consumer reports, for showing that the F150 lighting tested poorly in its advertised range tests vs. actual performance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]

It wasn't hard to find that proof, if you were looking for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHlGpHyF5bQ

In the comments:

https://i.imgur.com/RuOAoWj.jpeg

If you watched any of the videos on the silencer sound summit (or whatever they decided to call it), there was plenty of pot shots at Jay/Pewscience and how this was supposed to be some "new" standard.

It is a bad look, just not on the party you were referring to. I cant imagine Ford (or their top leadership) attacking someone like consumer reports, for showing that the F150 lighting tested poorly in its advertised range tests vs. actual performance.
View Quote

Forgot about those comments. I had known that Jay always stood by the position he wasn’t invited, I just hadn’t heard if there had ever been a solid answer given to the contrary.

And you’re correct, it is kind of telling about other parties involved, that’s opening a whole other can of worms.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#28]
Real question would be if Jay would have accepted even if they did invite him.
He is currently running a monopoly on a 'trust me bro' rating system that he refuses to allow peer review of, I don't see why he would attend even if he was invited. He has Reddit so wrapped around his finger he could say anything and they would take it as gospel, no other system is allowed to exist without his consent.

I personally think what Jay is doing is great. The rabid fans of his, though, halt any form of progress by keeping him the only game in town.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#29]
We really need to create a forum for bitching and debating how to test suppressors. So many threads in the suppressor forum devolve into the same conversation.

I have no real opinion of pew science other than the fact I am sick of reading about whether his testing is good or not in many, many threads.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Real question would be if Jay would have accepted even if they did invite him.
He is currently running a monopoly on a 'trust me bro' rating system that he refuses to allow peer review of, I don't see why he would attend even if he was invited. He has Reddit so wrapped around his finger he could say anything and they would take it as gospel, no other system is allowed to exist without his consent.

I personally think what Jay is doing is great. The rabid fans of his, though, halt any form of progress by keeping him the only game in town.
View Quote

It would be nice if there was more than just the “my coworkers would be able to do the same thing” on Jays end for how the system and rating was developed. Or at least if there were multiple known people putting their credentials on the line.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Did the CAT suppressor thread get merged with another silencer testing debate thread?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By CiggyTardust:
On the topic of CAT suppressors... wanted to get any insights you folks may have on the cleaning/maintenance issue:

I reached out to the folks at CAT suppressors as I’m considering ordering a WB 718 as my next 556k can. It has everything I want – weight, size, backpressure, performance… the track record obviously isn’t there yet for the company so it’s a bit of an expensive gamble ($1,400+ with tax stamp) but for what I’m seeing it seems best in class (for now). My main concern is long-term durability and maintenance requirements.

I asked CAT directly about a recommended cleaning schedule and they basically said it’s advisable to keep it as clean as possible, as close to brand new as you can for optimal performance. Basically if the can has no added weight it’s performing at its best and the more weight that accumulates, the more performance will degrade.

Now in theory that makes sense, but in practice I’m wondering how onerous maintenance will be and how this affects long-term performance. Do I need to clean it ever 1k rounds religiously to prevent massive performance degradation? Or is a 2k round cleaning schedule a generally good idea to prevent long-term issues but realistically neglecting to do so wouldn’t make a huge difference? I don’t shoot a massive amount but this early in the game it’s hard to say what’s going to happen here… they have higher round count Ti versions but even those haven’t gone beyond a couple thousand. I wish we had a better idea how this technology will function long-term even under neglect… I don’t want to drop $1.4k on a can only to discover in a year or two that it essentially turns into a lead tube if I don’t clean it every couple range trips.
View Quote

On the point of long term durability...Inconel checks all of the right boxes. The relative unknown is the brand's product.

I too am looking a the Inconel version, of the ODB though, and possibly the Noah or JL when they are released.

I could see how any manufacturer would provide a boilerplate answer of "if you want it to perform at its best, keep it clean"...obviously paraphrasing. To answer your own question, in the most dumbed down way possible, you'd have to find a way to measure actual sound suppression, and do your own torture test. Dont clean it for 500 rounds, 1000, 1500, 2000, etc...and see how sound suppression declines.

I doubt that many have the kind of equipment to even measure that.

Are you looking at the Hub or QD model?

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#33]
So my SS rep says the wb and the odb "don't really need to be cleaned". Then I go to the cat cleaner product page and it says to use this cleaner to clean the 718 and Ti. Does anyone here have a cat can that can provide insight on this?

I'll shell out money for a 5.56 718 can in a heartbeat if I know I'm not married to a cleaner that's 100 dollars a quart.

If the cleaner was priced reasonably, like breakthrough cleaner, I also wouldn't get my panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:11:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:01:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CiggyTardust] [#35]
Definitely going for the HUB model.  Placed a preorder yesterday.  

I imagine other cleaners will work fine but don't know for certain.  With the recommended cleaning schedule of every 2k rounds, well, that's maybe once every 2 years for me lately.  More than doable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#36]

I don't believe 1-3% at all.  I wouldn't be surprised if they made 20%.  

I'm tired of people telling me how thrilled I should be to let someone gouge the hell out of my company on test marketing, when none of them are paying money specifically targeted to getting the data they want.  I say it's a bad spend.  And I'm actually in the position to say that.  Todd from Dead Air said the same thing.  This is just an area where some of the consumers who aren't spending the money and the companies that are, differ in their opinions.
View Quote

My comment wasn't to advise you on your business - simply sharing information with you that I'm very familiar with on a professional level. I can assure you that the numbers I provided you on average are correct for any grocery store occupying 40,000+ SF or GLA.

The end of your above message spiked my curiosity. If you were to submit a can of yours to Pew Science - a can that you believe meets or exceeds performance from competitors, and further, a can of yours that's been available to purchase for the last several months (so you have an understanding of its stabilized sales). In this event, and after factoring in all costs incurred for Pew Science's evaluation/report, how many additional units of this suppressor would you need to sell to generate enough profit from said sales to cover all Pew Science expenses plus an additional 30% (since you used post tax dollars to purchase Pew Science's evaluation)? This assumes that you the ability to produce more of this product with your existing equipment and labor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By wavebywave:

The end of your above message spiked my curiosity. If you were to submit a can of yours to Pew Science - a can that you believe meets or exceeds performance from competitors, and further, a can of yours that's been available to purchase for the last several months (so you have an understanding of its stabilized sales). In this event, and after factoring in all costs incurred for Pew Science's evaluation/report, how many additional units of this suppressor would you need to sell to generate enough profit from said sales to cover all Pew Science expenses plus an additional 30% (since you used post tax dollars to purchase Pew Science's evaluation)? This assumes that you the ability to produce more of this product with your existing equipment and labor.
View Quote

Somehow I have a feeling this point will be missed entirely, considering its the same thing Ive already said as well.

The difference between a youtube video released by the manufacturer, about their own product outperforming a competing product, and a well recognized 3rd party publishing testing/data that comes to that conclusion, is astronomically different in value and credibility. You dont have to like/love/ or even believe in Jay's work, to see the impact of it in the market. The CAT offerings have sold out their 718 models, entirely because of his 3rd party testing performance.

The idea that this testing "isn't worth paying for" falls somewhere in between not understanding marketing and entirely misunderstanding the retail customer segment, made up of everyone who doesnt buy suppressors through govt/mil/LEO acquisitions, bids, etc.

I respect many people who have done significant work in this industry, in terms of releasing successful or innovative products, but it seems to be all too common that those same people then believe that they should cut corners on everything else they're not experts in.

Its precisely how the bulk of this industry constantly has failing websites, checkout systems that dont work, cant even provide basic product information or specs online, and is constantly in entirely avoidable logistical nightmares when it comes to processes for customer support or warranty work.

The equivalent of deciding to do your own business taxes instead of hiring a CPA, or representing yourself in court instead of hiring a lawyer, because they believe they "know better".

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Is this a PEW "science" thread or a thread about CAT suppressors?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:19:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pomyluy] [#39]
Somehow I have a feeling this point will be missed entirely, considering its the same thing Ive already said as well.

The difference between a youtube video released by the manufacturer, about their own product outperforming a competing product, and a well recognized 3rd party publishing testing/data that comes to that conclusion, is astronomically different in value and credibility. You dont have to like/love/ or even believe in Jay's work, to see the impact of it in the market. The CAT offerings have sold out their 718 models, entirely because of his 3rd party testing performance.

The idea that this testing "isn't worth paying for" falls somewhere in between not understanding marketing and entirely misunderstanding the retail customer segment, made up of everyone who doesnt buy suppressors through govt/mil/LEO acquisitions, bids, etc.

I respect many people who have done significant work in this industry, in terms of releasing successful or innovative products, but it seems to be all too common that those same people then believe that they should cut corners on everything else they're not experts in.

Its precisely how the bulk of this industry constantly has failing websites, checkout systems that dont work, cant even provide basic product information or specs online, and is constantly in entirely avoidable logistical nightmares when it comes to processes for customer support or warranty work.

The equivalent of deciding to do your own business taxes instead of hiring a CPA, or representing yourself in court instead of hiring a lawyer, because they believe they "know better".
View All Quotes

You're free to believe whatever you want about the marketing value of Pew Science testing, but the reality is that it's really only a big deal on Reddit and Instagram. Look at how people outside of this forum keep buying tons of Dead Air suppressors (ask @DogtownTom what he sells most), even though some corners of the internet absolutely despise their products. All the myopic, specious arguments in the world won't change that.
Originally Posted By JTX23:
Is this a PEW "science" thread or a thread about CAT suppressors?

Hard to tell the difference sometimes, since no one would care about CAT without Pew's testing results (which I hear are pretty important for sales).
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Seriously... was hoping to find information about, you know, CAT suppressors in this thread... not pedantic discussions about marketing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

Then you should take thirty seconds to Google to see why he's correct. Grocery stores have had thin margins for almost a century.

Most of the grocery stores in this country operate with very little competition.  

I disagree. If there's a buck to be made there will be competition and the grocery biz has been cutthroat for decades.

In my area, it's Roundy's Pick N Save (which was bought by Roundys from the McAdams family, and Roundy's was then bought by national brand Kroger) and Walmart predominantly.  When you have two major competitors, you don't have much competition.  Most of the reason to buy other businesses is to reduce competition and increase profit.

Within a ten minute drive from my house there are:
5 WalMarts
1 Costco
1 Sams Club
1 HEB
2 Aldi
1 Fiesta
4 Kroger
3 Tom Thumb
6 Large Asian/Indian Superstores.

Thats ten minutes, not ten miles. The recent expansion of HEB into DFW has caused panic at Kroger and Tom Thumb.

Then you have odd stores like Aldi, who give considerably better deals and a hint of how much the grocery chains make.....

They can give great deals because their store sq footage is tiny and their selection is significantly less across all departments. I love Aldi, but they sure as heck aren't HEB.

I worked at a grocery store in high school 3 years,

Same here. Started the day after I turned 16, then holidays and summers while in college. My dad was head of Grocery Merchandising for eighty Safeway Stores in Arkansas, parts of Louisiana, Texas and Missouri.

and never saw a case of beer thrown out due to expiration,

Me either.
Dairy and produce yes. But that was in the '70's, modern logistics keeps that to a minimum.

I'm tired of people telling me how thrilled I should be to let someone gouge the hell out of my company on test marketing,

Bravo.

when none of them are paying money specifically targeted to getting the data they want.  I say it's a bad spend.  And I'm actually in the position to say that.  Todd from Dead Air said the same thing.  This is just an area where some of the consumers who aren't spending the money and the companies that are, differ in their opinions.

True.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CiggyTardust:
Seriously... was hoping to find information about, you know, CAT suppressors in this thread... not pedantic discussions about marketing.
View Quote

The Official I Love/Hate PEW and their Silencer Testing Thread V2
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:33:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#43]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Gross isn’t net. For the sake of the thread, let’s agree to disagree.  

For CAT, 12_Spies posted a reel on insta of an ODB running 223 FA. Looks like it’s easily handling the COF without gas stacking.

Would appreciate someone’s general thoughts on the 4 findings from Jay’s report on the ODB I posted earlier. Don’t have mine yet.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5JCZMlrTci/?igsh=MXN0M3hpem04YTFsYw==
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:25:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Sure, and net can be manipulated to a low number by strategic acquisitions and then that number paraded in front of customers, hiding real profit levels as the companies become present everywhere under a confusing assortment of seemingly competitive brand names.  

There's one more factor you may not have considered.  The industry is busy and it is likely everyone is eventually going to sell out of stock (marketing or not), no matter how much they have, due to the wait times dropping in the regulatory process with the ATF. Even boxing completed stored inventory to fulfill orders is challenging personnel strength at the moment.

We are working to put additional people on shifts to try to maximize productivity at the moment, and have been working in that direction for 3.5 months.  We're running 3 shift production, and two shift assembly to support the goal of not going out of stock right now, and we have a decent amount of inventory, so we're looking like ten months ahead right now, trying to be pro-active.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wavebywave:
Gross isn’t net. For the sake of the thread, let’s agree to disagree.  

Sure, and net can be manipulated to a low number by strategic acquisitions and then that number paraded in front of customers, hiding real profit levels as the companies become present everywhere under a confusing assortment of seemingly competitive brand names.  

There's one more factor you may not have considered.  The industry is busy and it is likely everyone is eventually going to sell out of stock (marketing or not), no matter how much they have, due to the wait times dropping in the regulatory process with the ATF. Even boxing completed stored inventory to fulfill orders is challenging personnel strength at the moment.

We are working to put additional people on shifts to try to maximize productivity at the moment, and have been working in that direction for 3.5 months.  We're running 3 shift production, and two shift assembly to support the goal of not going out of stock right now, and we have a decent amount of inventory, so we're looking like ten months ahead right now, trying to be pro-active.

Imagine what the industry would look like if the HPA had been passed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Last comment I’ll make on grocery margins - my statement comes from reviewing most every major brand’s, private/public, audited profit and loss statements segmented on a store by store basis. No guessing involved or items not considered. Audited operating statements are management tools - not a product of tax engineering.

Your comment on capacity/demand makes sense - that’s why my question to you was based on an assumption that assumed you had additional capacity to neutralize demand outliers. Still curious in your response to my question under my stated criteria if you’re willing to provide it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#49]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Benowitz: 22Ir K can?
Short Round: 22Ir
Kitty Kat: 5.56 Micro can
White Bread: 5.56 Smedium can
Super Thug: 5.56 Can
TSWIF: Extension Module Can
Noah: 6mm Can
RAT: 300blk Rattler Can
Dirty Dave: 7.62 K Can
Akbar: Some other 7.62 can?
0I Dirty Bastard: 7.62 Can
Johnny Law: 308 Can
Big Black KOTH: 8.6blk Can
Street Crack: 9mm pistol Can
Mobster: 9mm Sub Gun Can
Saigon Peacekeeper: 45cal pistol Can
Banditto: 45cal Sub Gun Can

This was posted on the gram by Mr recce, CATs supposed known line up.

Pretty hyped to check put the "kitty kat" I like the idea of a sub 5 inch 5.56 can. I have a YHM Fat Cat coming and would love to see more Silencers in this space.
Page / 16
CAT suppressors Vol.2 (Page 13 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top