User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wolfman is hard to beat for any subgun or PCC IMHO.  If money was tight I wouldn't be upset being stuck with my YHM R9.
View Quote

andrew, the owner of otter creek has said his favorite PCC can a few months ago was the R9. he was impressed with how well it performed, with such a small package.

i felt the same way when I got mine out of jail. when otter creek designed their lithium, he used the R9 as the 'can to beat'.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

andrew, the owner of otter creek has said his favorite PCC can a few months ago was the R9. he was impressed with how well it performed, with such a small package.

i felt the same way when I got mine out of jail. when otter creek designed their lithium, he used the R9 as the 'can to beat'.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wolfman is hard to beat for any subgun or PCC IMHO.  If money was tight I wouldn't be upset being stuck with my YHM R9.

I would agree. I've had my R9 for a little while now, using it pretty much as a dedicated can for my SP5. It sounds great for its size, and the price is really hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like my Omega 9K but not the price so when the R9 came out I bought 2 for what I paid for the Omega.
One on a PCC, other on 350 Legend AR. Omega is also on a PCC.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Primarily for semi auto fixed barrel PCC use.  Semi auto as I have Omega 9k's for the machinegun.

I don't care about being short, traditional pistol use, or .300blk use.  I want quiet subsonic 9mm performance.
View Quote

The suppressors they use on the movies are always the quietest.  I wish I knew which ones they used
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer something user serviceable, but most seem to point towards the Wolfman as being the quietest. Quiet is what I want....
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I prefer something user serviceable, but most seem to point towards the Wolfman as being the quietest. Quiet is what I want....
View Quote

The GSL Phoenix or similar Curtis Tactical suppressors are user serviceable and should offer similar suppression (or perhaps better suppression by some accounts) compared to the Wolfman. I haven’t heard much about the GSL Fat Man, but it is also user serviceable. There are a lot of good options out there. The Resilient RS9 is also user serviceable, but the suppression seems to be a little unpredictable depending on platform/mounting choice.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The GSL Phoenix or similar Curtis Tactical suppressors are user serviceable and should offer similar suppression (or perhaps better suppression by some accounts) compared to the Wolfman. I haven’t heard much about the GSL Fat Man, but it is also user serviceable. There are a lot of good options out there. The Resilient RS9 is also user serviceable, but the suppression seems to be a little unpredictable depending on platform/mounting choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not much for moving suppressors around.  The only one I do that with is my Ghost when shooting handguns suppressed.  I have been looking at the GSL Pheonix.  The Curtis Tacs are expensive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The GSL Phoenix or similar Curtis Tactical suppressors are user serviceable and should offer similar suppression (or perhaps better suppression by some accounts) compared to the Wolfman. I haven't heard much about the GSL Fat Man, but it is also user serviceable. There are a lot of good options out there. The Resilient RS9 is also user serviceable, but the suppression seems to be a little unpredictable depending on platform/mounting choice.
View Quote
According to GSL's website the Fat Man is NOT user serviceable: https://gsltechnology.com/product/thefatman/

The Phoenix is also aluminum so while serviceable you shouldn't use harsh chemicals or an ultrasonic.  

The Curtis Tactical is all stainless and Titanium.  Also lighter than the Phoenix.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Resilient RS9. In Pew Science testing it made the MP5K quieter than the MP5 suppressed and it's a lot lighter than a GSL Phoenix while still being user serviceable.

I have one pending from April and I'm excited  about it. Also have a Wolfman, Omega 9k, CGS  Kraken and a Griffin Rev 9 that have been used on various subguns with the exception of the Kraken which is dedicated pistol use.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
According to GSL's website the Fat Man is NOT user serviceable: https://gsltechnology.com/product/thefatman/

The Phoenix is also aluminum so while serviceable you shouldn't use harsh chemicals or an ultrasonic.  

The Curtis Tactical is all stainless and Titanium.  Also lighter than the Phoenix.
View Quote

Good catch on the Fat Man. I thought it was just a truncated Phoenix.

Regarding the Curtis Tactical, is the 8” CT9K lighter than a Phoenix or just the CT9KS?
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good catch on the Fat Man. I thought it was just a truncated Phoenix.

Regarding the Curtis Tactical, is the 8" CT9K lighter than a Phoenix or just the CT9KS?
View Quote
Just the CT9KS but in another thread there is some discussion about getting a K made from 100% Ti.  Don't know the weight or cost but he did tell me he could do it.

I still don't know of anyone getting a CT9K.  Joe told me about a year ago that nobody had asked to get the CT9 or CT9K.  Everyone just gets the CT9KS.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's not volume dependent.  It's technology dependent.

View Quote

It's both.

I've built 9mm cans the size of rimfire stuff, and giants on the other end of the spectrum, as well as recoring some monstrosities that made modern .338 Lapua cans look, well...... "athletic".

You can only do so much with inadequate volumes regardless of design efficiency, but big volume certainly won't make up for crap internals.  There's always a balance.  Where that balance lies is largely host dependent, though, both in terms of backpressure on autoloading hosts as well as the point of diminishing returns with size & weight.

On that note, however, IME, conventional core designs in oversized cans do not work well.   You can't just scale up a solid 1.375x7" pistol can design to 2x10" and get good results with the same round.  Seen so many Form 1 cans where "bigger is better" was the precept with disappointing results.  The additional volume can absolutely be utilized effectively, but it has to be done a certain way or you'll end up with something that actually performs worse.   Coaxial is really the name of the game with the big things, but figuring out exactly where and how much to bleed off into the coaxial chamber(s) for optimal efficacy, as well as the core size to use within, depends on the main tube size and the host firearm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just the CT9KS but in another thread there is some discussion about getting a K made from 100% Ti.  Don't know the weight or cost but he did tell me he could do it.

I still don't know of anyone getting a CT9K.  Joe told me about a year ago that nobody had asked to get the CT9 or CT9K.  Everyone just gets the CT9KS.
View Quote

I’m interested in having him make a .45 version for me and was thinking the 8” K-length might make more sense for the larger bore diameter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice collection!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice collection!

Thanks.

Here is the collection of almost all of my PCC hosts.  I just didn't have my CMMG radial delayed with me.  Believe me between what Jay is saying about that RS9 and Amphibian always mentioning that Curtis Tactical version of the Phoenix it is tempting get one of the two for sure.  Sure you can move cans around but I'm kind of in the mindset of just suppress all the things permanently.  Something I know your all too well aware of

Quoted:

Interesting.

I have a Rex Mg7 .358 that sounds good on my blowback 9mm pcc to an onlooker, but the port-pop rings my ears. I wonder if the .45 cal Rex would be better and I should just move the .358 to one of my 300BLKs.

I really would like to have access to the smaller bore size MG7 to do a back to back comparison. Don't get me wrong its still got some port pop.  I just found compared to my other options it is slightly less.

Quoted:

The data disturbed me, greatly.  It was so strange, at first, that we went above and beyond our typical QA/QC.   I checked the data sets so many ways. I actually went back to sound speed and wave front time of arrival and weapon kinematics just to make sure if for some reason the data was labeled wrong, it is still right. For example - if you were to take the two datasets, and not know from which gun they were - you could back out which dataset is from which gun.

This is one of the many reasons why I publish the complete waveforms.

Since HK engineering kinematics have been cross-checked with PEW Science measured kinematics in the waveforms for the MP5 system in peer review, both our teams have high confidence in the GSL Phoenix data.  So, when it came to doing the RS9, and the cross-checks were all green..............  I just kinda sat there and got another cup of coffee.

When the dust settled - it's so simple, I can't believe I didn't think of doing it myself.  (in a way, we kind of already knew this could happen due to the way a Hyperion works, actually, and some other silencers, but that's a longer discussion).  The fact that Former "form 1" guys are making strides like this just shows you how far the state of practice has evolved.  I was speaking with some of them yesterday.  Before the ATF crackdown, the prototyping going on and the community helping each other was so incredible, and unencumbered by typical silencer industry politics / resources / red tape, etc (because it wasn't the silencer industry - it was the "solvent trap" world) - it became a mini "space race."  Now, to be clear, there are certain aspects of technology they are coming to use that has been developed before, but a lot of them don't even know it.  And, when some stuff looks "copied" - it's really not. Some of it is thought up independently and just happens to be similar to very old technology.  It's so interesting to watch.  It's really fascinating.

I think what people are seeing now is the evolution of that "space race."  Big companies have to stick with SKUs and backward compatibility and customer service with other models, and common parts, and yada yada - a big machine.  Administratively, a lot of inertia to overcome, blah blah.  The small guys just starting out are taking huge technical risks and leaps.

The Resilient stuff is only one example of this.  I, for one, am excited for the future!!!

Jay
PEW Science

Sometimes the stars align I guess.  Again thanks for sharing all of your data.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
How do the Huxwrx pistol cans perform?
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

So far their isnt much out there about their new ca$h 9, but I did find a TFB ad (I mean article) about it with no real information.  The name does not instill confindence.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So far their isnt much out there about their new ca$h 9, but I did find a TFB ad (I mean article) about it with no real information.  The name does not instill confindence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have high expectations because I got to run a Flow pretty hard and see it in use at a recent class.  It was used to do some serious vehicle work, punch windows, break tail lights to hold the rifle in disabled officer scenarios...and it was very quiet.  I was impressed with the Flow.  I am thinking the pistol can should be good as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve been hoping Pew would review them. There isn’t much out there, but they seemed kind of loud in a TFB review I watched. It may be one of those situations where it is quieter to the shooter but louder down range.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ve been hoping Pew would review them. There isn’t much out there, but they seemed kind of loud in a TFB review I watched. It may be one of those situations where it is quieter to the shooter but louder down range.
View Quote

Stay tuned.

Jay
PEW Science
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top