BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here are some stills of the video from last night. 10.5" 5.56 shooting Winchester M193. The can had maybe 10 rounds total through it before this test but was allowed to cool and fill back up with ambient air. First round had some visible flash. Rounds 2-5 all had a small shock diamond out the front along with some sparking. Perhaps the sparking is just loose powder from the DMLS and will clear out over time. Since I'm a competitor I don't want to give my biased opinions on it, other than it is slightly less ugly in person lol .

HUXWRX FLOW556K Dusk Flash Test 10.5" 5.56 M193
View Quote

Awesome photos, Riley.

Did you shoot a few mags through that and then do that again?  Would be cool to see it after residual binder/powder is gone from manufacturing.

Very cool photos!!

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a surprising amount of flash.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Awesome photos, Riley.

Did you shoot a few mags through that and then do that again?  Would be cool to see it after residual binder/powder is gone from manufacturing.

Very cool photos!!

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote
That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Someone said the inside of the can was full of sharp bits that they cut their finger on.  I wonder if the sparks are the sharp edges flying out the front and the flash will go away when they are all gone after a reasonably low number of rounds.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's kind of what I'm thinking.  Someone said the inside of the can was full of sharp bits that they cut their finger on.  I wonder if the sparks are the sharp edges flying out the front and the flash will go away when they are all gone after a reasonably low number of rounds.
View Quote

Huh, interesting you say that!

When I got the test sample, there was a metal shaving inside the blast chamber.  I pulled it out and was like "whoa, I'm glad I got that out of there before I shot it" hahahahha

New methods of manufacturing are always interesting.

I've sat in on some stuff at DMLS places.  It's really interesting how printed metal parts are made. Just really cool.  Then, the post-processing stuff (the machining afterward, on certain parts) can be pretty neat.

I feel like we are witnessing the birth of some wild stuff.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
other than it is slightly less ugly in person lol.
View Quote

Very important distinction, doesn't look great in pictures ??.

Thank you for providing the photos
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Awesome photos, Riley.

Very cool photos!!

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote

I'll do it again at about 100 rounds and update. Not sure when that will be though. I'll also do a 30 round mag dump into trash in FA and see how it handles a higher rate of fire.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll do it again at about 100 rounds and update. Not sure when that will be though. I'll also do a 30 round mag dump into trash in FA and see how it handles a higher rate of fire.
View Quote

Dope. I might be tied up this weekend so I won't have a chance to go shoot, otherwise I would do it hahaha

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if there is much correlation between first round pop and first round flash.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here are some stills of the video from last night. 10.5" 5.56 shooting Winchester M193. The can had maybe 10 rounds total through it before this test but was allowed to cool and fill back up with ambient air. First round had some visible flash. Rounds 2-5 all had a small shock diamond out the front along with some sparking. Perhaps the sparking is just loose powder from the DMLS and will clear out over time. Since I'm a competitor I don't want to give my biased opinions on it, other than it is slightly less ugly in person lol.

View Quote

Would unburned powder "escape" a silencer?  Third pics reminds me of this shot of a 10.5" barrel as well but with steel case and no silencer.

10.5 Unsuppresed flash at night
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder if there is much correlation between first round pop and first round flash.
View Quote

Probably because its related to oxygen, unburnt gas/powder/whatever hitting oxygen and igniting. Or something like that .
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I understand surface roughness is why this can needs to be cleaned every 1500 rounds. But what would actually happen if I decide to never clean it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I understand surface roughness is why this can needs to be cleaned every 1500 rounds. But what would actually happen if I decide to never clean it?
View Quote

Just a heavy tube is my guess. Like those fake cans people put on their guns. No suppression. I have an old gen 7.62 flow though oss with like 5000 rounds between 5.56 and 300blackout and never cleaned it. Still sounds amazing
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Excessive flash from flow-through cans makes sense, to me.

Flash is crazy-hot combustion products re-igniting in contact with atmospheric oxygen.

Cans slow escaping gasses and cool them, and also visually shield the fireball inside the can via an opaque tube. Slightly cooler and better combusted gases exit more slowly and with lower uncorking pressure than a bare muzzle.

A flow-through can by definition slows and cools the muzzle gasses less than a traditional “high backpressure” can, and allows more fireball to escape.  

Well, that’s my hypothesis, at least.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes and no.

1. Yes, to the extent the flash is influenced by flow rate.
2. Yes, to the extent the flash is influenced by ancillary interior combustion.
3. No, to the extent the flash is influenced by geometry.

As flash is influenced by (1), (2), (3), ammunition, and barrel length, the answer to your question is very complex and must be framed in strict context.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clogging, flow rate change, less efficient heat transfer, and less efficient suppression.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here are some stills of the video from last night. 10.5" 5.56 shooting Winchester M193. The can had maybe 10 rounds total through it before this test but was allowed to cool and fill back up with ambient air. First round had some visible flash. Rounds 2-5 all had a small shock diamond out the front along with some sparking. Perhaps the sparking is just loose powder from the DMLS and will clear out over time. Since I'm a competitor I don't want to give my biased opinions on it, other than it is slightly less ugly in person lol.

View Quote

While different than the promo video, it's still fairly impressive considering the barrel length and ammo. Shorty cans have always been a poor choice for the shortest barrels if flash suppression is a consideration at all, in addition to flashy blaster ammo. Past flow-through designs have struggled with flash, at least until the latest OSS versions.

To put this flash performance into perspective, at 1:23 (video timestamped) we see a 10.3" with a Surefire 556 Mini 2 shooting Hornady 55gr:

ETA: Here's another (also timestamped):

The most concerning thing in your pics is the sparking, but I'll go with the "residual" theory for now.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Perhaps, but I have traditional cans in the 5”-5.8” range that work well enough under 31s and WP BNVDs. I’d be interested in a direct comparison.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Perhaps, but I have traditional cans in the 5”-5.8” range that work well enough under 31s and WP BNVDs. I’d be interested in a direct comparison.
View Quote

What does this mean? What cans, and is this with a 10.3/5" barrel? What ammo? It's hard to find good info about this stuff so it all helps to put things in perspective. I'd also love a direct comparison.

Even more I'd love to see the day where every suppressor is released with a Pew Science analysis accompanied by a standardized flash test rating/analysis. I doubt we will ever get there completely, but we can get a lot closer.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quick update.

I put another 85 rounds through the HUXWRX FLOW556K today, bringing the total round count to 100. I didn't notice any flash or sparking during the day time with the same 10.5" 5.56 and Winchester M193 ammo. On this host with an H2 buffer and superlative arms gas block adjusted for the silencer it sounded fantastic, frankly the best can I have ever heard on this host and I am really digging it so far. I won't be able to perform a flash test at night/dusk for a few more days but will be sure to update once I do.

Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What does this mean? What cans, and is this with a 10.3/5" barrel? What ammo? It's hard to find good info about this stuff so it all helps to put things in perspective. I'd also love a direct comparison.

Even more I'd love to see the day where every suppressor is released with a Pew Science analysis accompanied by a standardized flash test rating/analysis. I doubt we will ever get there completely, but we can get a lot closer.

View Quote

Difficult to say, because I don’t have a standardized testing process for this. What usually happens is we compare a couple gun/can/ammo combos with one dude shooting and the rest of us standing to the side with/without NODs. Guns are usually 11.3”-12.5”, with the occasional 14.5”. As the shooter, I don’t think any of my cans trigger the autogating on my NODs, so I generally don’t notice while shooting, but I usually use a 12.5”. Maybe the Turbo K; I don’t usually use it at night. Standing alongside the firing line, most new-ish 5.56 K cans exhibit a jet of flame about an inch or two long, like a cigar lighter, same as a NT4 on auto. Somewhat comparable to the second OSS picture. The longer ones don’t do it every shot, necessarily, given good ammo. 7.62 cans an inch longer do about the same.

Cans I’m talking about:
Turbo K Gen 1 (kinda flashy with shit ammo)
M4SDk (same flash as Chimera ASR)
30SDk (also about the same as Chimera)
MG7k .264
NT4
SOCOM
Chimera 300 ASR
Sandman S
Other than the Turbo K Gen 1, most of these are really close in flash performance, to my eye, and better than the OSS first picture shown above, but its not a direct comparison.

I wish someone would do a comparison like TTAG did with flash hiders. Even better if it was Jay, and an ongoing nerd-grade compilation with the same lot of ammo. His Mk 18 would be an excellent host for this.

Edit: I don’t think any ammo/gun/can combo I shoot is as bad as the Mk18/Mini shown above.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Difficult to say, because I don’t have a standardized testing process for this. What usually happens is we compare a couple gun/can/ammo combos with one dude shooting and the rest of us standing to the side with/without NODs. Guns are usually 11.3”-12.5”, with the occasional 14.5”. As the shooter, I don’t think any of my cans trigger the autogating on my NODs, so I generally don’t notice while shooting, but I usually use a 12.5”. Maybe the Turbo K; I don’t usually use it at night. Standing alongside the firing line, most new-ish 5.56 K cans exhibit a jet of flame about an inch or two long, like a cigar lighter, same as a NT4 on auto. Somewhat comparable to the second OSS picture. The longer ones don’t do it every shot, necessarily, given good ammo. 7.62 cans an inch longer do about the same.

Cans I’m talking about:
Turbo K Gen 1 (kinda flashy with shit ammo)
M4SDk (same flash as Chimera ASR)
30SDk (also about the same as Chimera)
MG7k .264
NT4
SOCOM
Chimera 300 ASR
Sandman S
Other than the Turbo K Gen 1, most of these are really close in flash performance, to my eye, and better than the OSS first picture shown above, but its not a direct comparison.

I wish someone would do a comparison like TTAG did with flash hiders. Even better if it was Jay, and an ongoing nerd-grade compilation with the same lot of ammo. His Mk 18 would be an excellent host for this.

Edit: I don’t think any ammo/gun/can combo I shoot is as bad as the Mk18/Mini shown above.
View Quote

Cool, thanks for sharing. Maybe you'd agree that the highest priority concerning flash and night vision is not autogating the tubes or otherwise causing a disruption in the sight picture. When I originally said "the shortest barrels" I was thinking 10.3/5, so maybe I should have specified. With the short barrels an extra inch or two of powder burning does seem to make a significant difference. I know that ammo certainly does, and so does temp/humidity but I don't know to what degree. Somebody will come up with a good standardized flash test, I know Jay has been asked and considered it before.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the extra noise, flash and reliability issues, it is surprising that more people don’t choose 11.5’s over 10.3’s.

View Quote

The 10.3" 5.56 AR is an abomination.

The higher-ups that somehow thought it was a good idea to chop a 5.56 barrel that short, just to make it compact enough to move around ships, should have had someone stand up to them and say "no, sir. With all due respect, physics dictates we shouldn't go that short."

But no. They didn't say that. Instead, they let it happen, and here we are.

Friends don't let friends use MK18s hahahahahaha

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The higher-ups that somehow thought it was a good idea to chop a 5.56 barrel that short, just to make it compact enough to move around ships, should have had someone stand up to them and say "no, sir. With all due respect, physics dictates we shouldn't go that short."

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the extra noise, flash and reliability issues, it is surprising that more people don’t choose 11.5’s over 10.3’s.

Jay
PEW Science

And here I am rocking a 8” bren 2 in 5.56 and this oss suppressor
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your goals are beyond their understanding.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote

I was disappointed you followed the “wisdom of the crowd” with the Mk18 bandwagon. I understand it’s a popular abomination and now people are using your dosing metric from sound tests with it to benchmark suppressors for general 5.56 use.  Meanwhile all over the web conventional wisdom is that 11.5” mid-gas 5.56 can’t work.  

Paraphrasing Ringo Starr, government turns to crap every barrel profile it touches.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Bren2 comes in that barrel length and I directly asked oss about it. They said to shoot it. After owning all other lengths of ARs it’s something different. And sounds pretty good too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Aside from noise, flash, and reduced velocity, there is no reason not to run a gun that will run reliably in 5.56mm.  We have a 9.5" upper- it just has pistol gas, so that it doesn't have the issues of 10.3's.  For the record I don't think it's a very serious barrel length, but I wouldn't want to be shot with one obviously, because it's still very dangerous- so "not as lethal" is a relative concept, and at short ranges you can change characteristics considerably with ammo selection.

If you have a sound meter, running a 10.3" system like the HK416 is really impressively louder in peak ear sound than for example an 11.5" DI gun- it's several DB- like maybe 3 or so +-1 or so depending on which can. For 1.2", it unsells itself quickly. I saw that in several top tier silencers from different brands, so it was pretty much slaughtering silencer performance across the board.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not? Bren2 comes in that barrel length and I directly asked oss about it. They said to shoot it. After owning all other lengths of ARs it’s something different. And sounds pretty good too.

Aside from noise, flash, and reduced velocity, there is no reason not to run a gun that will run reliably in 5.56mm.  We have a 9.5" upper- it just has pistol gas, so that it doesn't have the issues of 10.3's.  For the record I don't think it's a very serious barrel length, but I wouldn't want to be shot with one obviously, because it's still very dangerous- so "not as lethal" is a relative concept, and at short ranges you can change characteristics considerably with ammo selection.

If you have a sound meter, running a 10.3" system like the HK416 is really impressively louder in peak ear sound than for example an 11.5" DI gun- it's several DB- like maybe 3 or so +-1 or so depending on which can. For 1.2", it unsells itself quickly. I saw that in several top tier silencers from different brands, so it was pretty much slaughtering silencer performance across the board.

I have three BK2209s. One of these days I’ll meter this bren2 setup I have. Doesn’t sound any worse then my 11.5 with sandman S.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#33]
James Reeves made a joke about people who buy anything shorter than 11.5 not being able to read...can’t remember the delivery tho
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's cool.  Not too many people have 2209's.  Are you with a company?  

2209's are pretty cool.  You just have to make sure and pull batteries and drop residual voltage to store.  Those capacitors can get damaged if you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have three BK2209s. One of these days I’ll meter this bren2 setup I have. Doesn’t sound any worse then my 11.5 with sandman S.

That's cool.  Not too many people have 2209's.  Are you with a company?  

2209's are pretty cool.  You just have to make sure and pull batteries and drop residual voltage to store.  Those capacitors can get damaged if you don't.

Yep I do it every time. Also have the calibrator that goes over the microphone.
I’m not with any company. Just have a huge passion for Suppressors. Love the Science and form1 community too. I post most of
My suppressor stuff on instagram.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:21:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was joking when I made that statement.  I personally don’t see anything wrong with short barrel 5.56 guns and my personal experience with 10.3 and 10.5 in guns has made them my preference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#38]
A lot of DoD meat eaters still putting in work with Mk18s, full-time suppressed. NT4s and SOCOMs, with the occasional other can (including OSS). Of course, the 11.5s exist now, also, part-time and full-time suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Jay
PEW Science
View Quote

Any chance you'll ever try one of the same suppressors on an adjustable gas block 10.3" to see what is possible? For example, the Polonium does great at the muzzle but not-so-great at the ear in the MK18 test. It would be interesting to see what could be achieved at the ear by dialing the gas back, and also interesting to see what changes at the muzzle, if anything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Any chance you'll ever try one of the same suppressors on an adjustable gas block 10.3" to see what is possible? For example, the Polonium does great at the muzzle but not-so-great at the ear in the MK18 test. It would be interesting to see what could be achieved at the ear by dialing the gas back, and also interesting to see what changes at the muzzle, if anything.
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

For reproducibility he could use a dictator or riflespeed or something with distinct adjustments. “This is the result at position 2… position 3…” etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I believe Jay has stated that he has an 11.5” Faxon mid gas that runs great, suppressed, with adjustable gas.

That would make for an educational comparison as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#43]
For those with a Flow 556K on backorder, how long have you been waiting? If you are a lucky one to have one, how long was your wait? I ordered a Sierra 5 at SS and the wait is like 75+ days.... May just cancel and buy a Flow 556K. I'd assume the Flow 556K has a shorter backorder list.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Someone has posted a flash video on Reddit. 12.3" BA Hanson barrel, homebrew ammo of 62gr Hornady Match HP + 26ish grains CFE 223, indoor range with some lights turned off. It's clearly not flashless, but not bad. The shooter says he couldn't see it through the eyepiece of his SiOnyx Aurora.

I have found Reddit to be a good source for this type of thing, FYI.

Edited for typo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Friends just wouldn't recommend friends use MK18's.  

... engineering ...

The (Army) "Final Report on Product Improvement Test of Submachine Gun 5.56-mm, XM177E2" which was public released in 1978 is a significant document for insight into issues with the shorter barrel.

View Quote
Navy.  Meh.

Would a 12.5 with mid-length gas solve a lot of problems, except maybe the desire for cool points and/or using carbine gas tubes?

Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Someone has posted a flash video on Reddit. 12.3" BA Hanson barrel, homebrew ammo of 62gr Hornady Match HP + 26ish grains CF@ 223, indoor range with some lights turned off. It's clearly not flashless, but not bad. The shooter says he couldn't see it through the eyepiece of his SiOnyx Aurora.

I have found Reddit to be a good source for this type of thing, FYI.
View Quote

I’m not sure how it would pertain to flash, but that load is 200fps shy of M855. I load it as a mild bulk load, but with Hornady 62gr FMJs. Just a point of reference for those that don’t reload.

A 12.3” with an A2 flash suppressor does OK with some ammo. I consider ~12.5” guns with closed-tine or short flash hider mounts passable for part-time suppressed use.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#47]
The “white page” info sheets HuxWrx has lists the life expectancy of the FLOW at 10,000 rounds but the 556Ti at 20,000.  

I wonder if the build quality between these 2 is that much different.   I was pretty much set on the FLOW as my next can but may go Ti
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#48]
A question I have about all Huxwrx/OSS cans is how do they perform indoors or in confined spaces?

Knowing the cab is louder at the muzzle and down range, wouldn’t that noise reverberate off of the walls of an in closed area and negate how quiet the can is at the ear?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The “white page” info sheets HuxWrx has lists the life expectancy of the FLOW at 10,000 rounds but the 556Ti at 20,000.  

I wonder if the build quality between these 2 is that much different.   I was pretty much set on the FLOW as my next can but may go Ti
View Quote

10k rounds? That's a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m sure that’s not a hard limit (like it breaks at 10,001/20,001), but what do you do at that point? My impression is that you can’t repair the FLOW, but can the non-3D 556TI be rebuilt?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top