BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t think ill ever backorder with silencer shop again.

But finally my wait begins.

Im sure ill enjoy it
View Quote

I was on that wait too. Ended up cancelling, ordering from Esstac and certified my sierra 5 48 days ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Symphony of the Sierra-5
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]

I don't even shoot 300 subs without ear pro, they're crazy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will with a closed breech gun.  But point well taken.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don’t miss understand i know you’re correct about what everyone should do.

My hearing must be trashed worse than i knew i finally shot the sandman l the other day on a 10.5  —5.56 gun with no ear pro it was so quiet i thought it was a squib lol
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took the suggestions from others on here to find a Sierra 5 locally. It was way easier. Called a local DA dealer. He had access to 15 from the distributor. He had it in-hand within a week and the paperwork is all submitted. Overall, it took a two weeks. Way better than waiting 6 months for a backorder at SS. For those looking for a Sierra 5, go local!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I took the suggestions from others on here to find a Sierra 5 locally. It was way easier. Called a local DA dealer. He had access to 15 from the distributor. He had it in-hand within a week and the paperwork is all submitted. Overall, it took a two weeks. Way better than waiting 6 months for a backorder at SS. For those looking for a Sierra 5, go local!
View Quote

Several on gunbroker as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Give it time… the older you get the more testosterone you’ll get, then they’ll drop.
View Quote

Thanks Donut I appreciate the advice one day. No I found one local I was waiting on SS.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Any more range reports? My LGS has one in stock again. I'm waiting for my Sandman K to get out of jail before I make a decision. It would be for my SCAR 16 NRCH
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any more range reports? My LGS has one in stock again. I'm waiting for my Sandman K to get out of jail before I make a decision. It would be for my SCAR 16 NRCH
View Quote

I've shot mine indoors a couple of times, but like most others, it's still in jail. Indoor suppressed 5.56 all sounds mostly the same to me, except for the Sandman K. It's a little gassy, kinda like an NT4 or M4-2000, but the initial impression on tone indoors is good. I've got a short cell-phone video, but we all know that won't do it justice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hopefully in a month or two the first buyers will be taking theirs home and then we should see a lot more reports.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hopefully in a month or two the first buyers will be taking theirs home and then we should see a lot more reports.
View Quote

I’m in that category. Coming up on day 250 of my wait, so hopefully stamp approved in the next month. I bought from Capitol Armory, and they’re going to ship it directly to me, so supposedly that process takes a few weeks too. So hopefully in the next 2 months or so I’ll have mine in hand. Already got a host picked out and can’t wait to try it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry if I missed this in thread - what is the length and weight of the S5 in direct thread configuration?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry if I missed this in thread - what is the length and weight of the S5 in direct thread configuration?
View Quote

4.76".  Here's a graphic with the following:
--Length past barrel muzzle
--Length past muzzle device
--Setback length behind muzzle (for those planning on really close rail installs).  
Subtract .17" for flash hider prongs of the FH front cap if you're going with a flat cap or setting up for a permanently attached suppressor (hint: 11.5" or greater).

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you. Weight in DT config?
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2023 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

--Setback length behind muzzle (for those planning on really close rail installs).  
Subtract .17" for flash hider prongs of the FH front cap if you're going with a flat cap or setting up for a permanently attached suppressor (hint: 11.5" or greater).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52408507827_eab60694ed_k.jpg

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52408507827_eab60694ed_k.jpg

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Nice, appreciated.

Quoted:
Thank you. Weight in DT config?

Sierra 5: 10.8oz
Direct Thread Insert: 1.4oz
Total: 12.2oz
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got my ATF approval! Now CA just has to shop the can to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweet
Waiting on my f3 lol
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same boat with mine. Approval was I think 2/28.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice, appreciated.

Sierra 5: 10.8oz
Direct Thread Insert: 1.4oz
Total: 12.2oz
View Quote

Don't forget 1 oz. for the front cap.  It's 13.2 oz. total in that direct thread configuration.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I couldn't find it early in the thread but I know it's there but who was selling the sierra 5 without any mounts?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I couldn't find it early in the thread but I know it's there but who was selling the sierra 5 without any mounts?
View Quote

Capitol Armory
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]
What’s a Xeno adaptor and Xeno FH re-sell for?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have any other cans to compare this to?
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Capitol Armory

There are only two skus of Sierra 5:  

Sierra 5 KM with custom lighter KeyMo Adapter and it comes with a 1/2-28 3 prong FH (DA301)
Sierra 5 XM with Xeno Adapter and it comes with a 1/2-28 Xeno A1 FH (DA121)

To make it direct thread, you want to use part number LT301.  It actually weighs 1.8 oz.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2023 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you have any other cans to compare this to?
View Quote

A silencerco Saker and Sandman S
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got back from the Quiet in the Capitol event and out of all the suppressors I tried I liked the OCM 5 and Sierra 5 the best. Since I already have an AEM5 guess my next suppressor will be Dead Air.
Link Posted: 3/4/2023 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just got back from the Quiet in the Capitol event and out of all the suppressors I tried I liked the OCM 5 and Sierra 5 the best. Since I already have an AEM5 guess my next suppressor will be Dead Air.
View Quote

Right on, what suppressors did you try and did anything there leave any particular impressions (trying not to get off topic too much)?
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Looking to get an order for an S5 in next week.  Also working on an upper to go with it.  Goal would be to shoot it suppressed most of the time.  Any recommendations on a good 11.5" barrel?  Hoping to run a standard low profile GB but confused about gas port sizes for suppressed use.  Appreciate all the reviews.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looking to get an order for an S5 in next week.  Also working on an upper to go with it.  Goal would be to shoot it suppressed most of the time.  Any recommendations on a good 11.5" barrel?  Hoping to run a standard low profile GB but confused about gas port sizes for suppressed use.  Appreciate all the reviews.
View Quote

Colt, Sionics, BA Hanson. You’re looking for a gas port of around .069”-0.070” if you’re going to shoot it unsuppressed ever with typical commercial ammo. Proper 5.56 will do 0.067”-0.068” unsuppressed. Of course barrel journal diameter, BCG dimensions, etc, can come into play. Most 11.5” barrels are going to have a bigger port than that, a problem that can be solved with a BRT EZ Tune gas tube, and as a bonus, you don’t have to learn anything about gas ports.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Sionics ERGP or RGP 11.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sionics ERGP or RGP 11.5 barrel.
View Quote

Their regular barrels are ETA’d mid March.  I don’t see anything about the ERGP or RGP barrels anywhere on their site

I’ve got some Criterion barrels that I really like.  Their 11.5” CORE series port measures .069” (found on the web, not on their site)

Griffin’s HEDP barrels all say suppressor optimized gas ports.  Wonder if Green0 knows the port sizes for their barrels and could chime in if someone tags him
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

So decent low back pressure? I am really considering one on two different 5.56 rifles I own. I think the OSS 762 I own is too loud, so I am hesitant about buying a Flow 556K.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So decent low back pressure? I am really considering one on two different 5.56 rifles I own. I think the OSS 762 I own is too loud, so I am hesitant about buying a Flow 556K.
View Quote

I don’t have my Sierra 5 in my possession yet (hopefully any day now… waiting on shipment from Capitol Armory), but the Flow 556k is not loud. For its size, it is remarkable how well it performs.

I don’t have any other OSS cans, and I always thought they were a bullshit gimmick. But then a guy I know in the industry got to play with one and told me how great he thought it was. I trust his opinion so I bought one. Stamp not approved yet, but I’ve got it at a place I can play with it while it’s in jail, and it’s awesome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Colt, Sionics, BA Hanson. You’re looking for a gas port of around .069”-0.070” if you’re going to shoot it unsuppressed ever with typical commercial ammo. Proper 5.56 will do 0.067”-0.068” unsuppressed. Of course barrel journal diameter, BCG dimensions, etc, can come into play. Most 11.5” barrels are going to have a bigger port than that, a problem that can be solved with a BRT EZ Tune gas tube, and as a bonus, you don’t have to learn anything about gas ports.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.  With the pending AWB in Washington I picked up a (barely) used DDM4V7s 11.5 upper in lieu of building my own.  Looks like it has a 0.069 port size.  Hopefully this will be good to go as we will be unable to order parts soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info.  With the pending AWB in Washington I picked up a (barely) used DDM4V7s 11.5 upper in lieu of building my own.  Looks like it has a 0.069 port size.  Hopefully this will be good to go as we will be unable to order parts soon.
View Quote

Daniel Defense stuff tends to be overgassed, so I recommend having an adjustable gas block to future-proof it. I'd also install a Vltor A5 buffer system.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Approved yesterday on my Sierra 5 and picked it up. Swapped the Keymo for the Rearden Atlas and it's such a small package.

Stoked to take it out for it's first shots soon. This setup only adds about 4 inches to overall length with a Rearden Atlas mount and a Rearden R2S flash hider on my Geissele 10.3 URG-I.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Approved yesterday on my Sierra 5 and picked it up. Swapped the Keymo for the Rearden Atlas and it's such a small package.

Stoked to take it out for it's first shots soon. This setup only adds about 4 inches to overall length with a Rearden Atlas mount and a Rearden R2S flash hider on my Geissele 10.3 URG-I.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241023/20230311_210209_jpg-2742867.JPG
View Quote

That's sweet. I had the first of two approved the other day...got to go pick it up. Looking forward to hearing what folks have to say about it as approvals start rolling in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Got my Sierra 5 by UPS from Capitol Armory today. Took it straight to the range with my trusty SBR, which had been tuned to run with a Helios QD Ti. 11.5” barrel, superlative adjustable gas block, LMT enhanced BCG, and Vltor A5 buffer (I think I’ve got an H4 in this thing, I’ll have to double check. May need to go heavier though, the back pressure on the Sierra 5 seems to be higher?).

Ran about 200 rounds through it today. Pretty much just mag dumping at the berm to test it out. I have to say, I’m impressed. For its size, I think this thing performs really well. I don’t know how it would meter, or how it would show on Jay’s testing, but subjectively, I think it sounds at least as good as my other 556 cans (Surefire socom rc2 556, griffin dual-lok 5, flow 556k), and it is tiny.

Also my blast baffle did not disintegrate, and seems to be just fine.

I really like the trend of these small 556 cans.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got my Sierra 5 by UPS from Capitol Armory today. Took it straight to the range with my trusty SBR, which had been tuned to run with a Helios QD Ti. 11.5" barrel, superlative adjustable gas block, LMT enhanced BCG, and Vltor A5 buffer (I think I've got an H4 in this thing, I'll have to double check. May need to go heavier though, the back pressure on the Sierra 5 seems to be higher?).

Ran about 200 rounds through it today. Pretty much just mag dumping at the berm to test it out. I have to say, I'm impressed. For its size, I think this thing performs really well. I don't know how it would meter, or how it would show on Jay's testing, but subjectively, I think it sounds at least as good as my other 556 cans (Surefire socom rc2 556, griffin dual-lok 5, flow 556k), and it is tiny.

View Quote
You are not helping me resist ordering another can this year.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe Dead Air can chime in here - Is the keymo version that the Sierra 5 ships with technically the keymicro (with the cuts in the collar)?  Either way, is the suppressor optimized for use with the keymicro brake, or the full size three port brake?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You are not helping me resist ordering another can this year.

View Quote

You didn’t come here for responsible financial advice.

It’s a great can though. I am super impressed. Do it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe Dead Air can chime in here - Is the keymo version that the Sierra 5 ships with technically the keymicro (with the cuts in the collar)?  Either way, is the suppressor optimized for use with the keymicro brake, or the full size three port brake?
View Quote

The one I have seen had the cuts and was visibly smaller than the Keymo I have.  We will have to wait for DA to comment on your last question.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's basically a KeyMicro but with the 1.375-24 threded HUB body.  We did this to lighten it up.  

Dillhole, I'm glad you like it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Got my Sierra 5 by UPS from Capitol Armory today. Took it straight to the range with my trusty SBR, which had been tuned to run with a Helios QD Ti. 11.5” barrel, superlative adjustable gas block, LMT enhanced BCG, and Vltor A5 buffer (I think I’ve got an H4 in this thing, I’ll have to double check. May need to go heavier though, the back pressure on the Sierra 5 seems to be higher?).

Ran about 200 rounds through it today. Pretty much just mag dumping at the berm to test it out. I have to say, I’m impressed. For its size, I think this thing performs really well. I don’t know how it would meter, or how it would show on Jay’s testing, but subjectively, I think it sounds at least as good as my other 556 cans (Surefire socom rc2 556, griffin dual-lok 5, flow 556k), and it is tiny.

View Quote

Just by watching the available footage I don't expect the Sierra 5 to have particularly low back-pressure compared to other "traditional" cans. Why would you try and find an even heavier buffer than an A5H4 (which must be one of the heaviest OTC buffers made) rather than use your adjustable gas block?

Anyway, thanks for the report. Everyone seems to be impressed with it overall.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just by watching the available footage I don't expect the Sierra 5 to have particularly low back-pressure compared to other "traditional" cans. Why would you try and find an even heavier buffer than an A5H4 (which must be one of the heaviest OTC buffers made) rather than use your adjustable gas block?

Anyway, thanks for the report. Everyone seems to be impressed with it overall.
View Quote

I will explore all potential options to appropriately tune the host.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's basically a KeyMicro but with the 1.375-24 threded HUB body.  We did this to lighten it up.  

Dillhole, I'm glad you like it!
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.  Does this mean we should optimally be running the keymicro brake then instead of the full sized brake with it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification.  Does this mean we should optimally be running the keymicro brake then instead of the full sized brake with it?
View Quote

Nope.  Both KeyMicro and KeyMo adapters have identical function/geometry.  It's all about what fits in the suppressor's blast chamber (like, you can't fit a full length rifle brake in a pistol can) and what fits your needs when shooting without the suppressor attached.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top