BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How much length does the adapter add to the HK45CT barrel?  Can you post a pic?
View Quote

Jump back to page 3 and go down about half way.  That’s my HK45CT with AAC TiRANT-45s (Mk24) with my newly purchased CAM-LOK installed.  The CAM-LOK adds about 1/2” overall to that package if I had to guess.  The piston is slightly longer than the AAC plus the threads of the adapter don’t overlap with the barrel, they extend.  Griffin has made the adapter as short as they can while still maintaining strength but it does add length because of the required thread dimensions.

The only downsides I’ve found with this system is length added in some configurations and of course having to buy all the components.  There really are a bunch of upsides though.  Only having one piston in the can and being able to swap between several different pistols is awesome.  Not having to worry about your can backing off is honestly huge.  Really does change suppressed pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The only downsides I’ve found with this system is length added in some configurations and of course having to buy all the components.
View Quote

To me, length added isn't a downside. It doesn't affect my poking holes in paper. I'm not tip of the spear high speed low drag. I'm curious and going to go measure to see how much is actually added. To the cost, it sucks for people who are flush with silencers already, but had this been the other way around and I were just now getting into the game, buying 1 silencer and 1 CAM-LOK piston, is cheaper. A little cost to get set up, sure but its like the Omega thread, once this takes off I am sure it will be the new standard.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The CAM-LOK adds about 1/2” overall to that package if I had to guess.
View Quote

Great guess. I measured and got .489"
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Great guess. I measured and got .489"
View Quote

Awesome!  I will inform my wife that I am in fact occasionally right!
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Awesome!  I will inform my wife that I am in fact occasionally right!
View Quote

Yeah, but have you won an argument against her? THAT will be a date to set in stone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
This is probably a long shot but I'm wondering if any of the pistons you make are dimensionally close to the one I made for my Form 1 9mm can.  I didn't have an example to design from so I basically just winged it.

I figure the indexing pin is easy enough to move to whatever bolt circle if there's one with similar length and diameter (.750 dim).

If there's nothing close I'll just pick a version to buy and build another can.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jump back to page 3 and go down about half way.  That’s my HK45CT with AAC TiRANT-45s (Mk24) with my newly purchased CAM-LOK installed.  The CAM-LOK adds about 1/2” overall to that package if I had to guess.  The piston is slightly longer than the AAC plus the threads of the adapter don’t overlap with the barrel, they extend.  Griffin has made the adapter as short as they can while still maintaining strength but it does add length because of the required thread dimensions.

The only downsides I’ve found with this system is length added in some configurations and of course having to buy all the components.  There really are a bunch of upsides though.  Only having one piston in the can and being able to swap between several different pistols is awesome.  Not having to worry about your can backing off is honestly huge.  Really does change suppressed pistol shooting.
View Quote

I saw the pic with the can on.  Was hoping to see the HG alone.  1/2" longer?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

More shootable than the MK23?  Wow that's something.  Is it the duty trigger of the MK23 lowering the shootability?   How does the HK45CT compare with the HK tactical?   I mentioned this to my brother and he has the 220 combat and he said he has hit racoons at up to 50 yards suppressed with his DBAL PL IR laser and night vision on account of the aluminum frame rail being rigid.  He has chickens at home and the racoons eat chickens, screwing with the ability to have fresh eggs.

We could probably make the pistons shorter.  It would get tough to cut the windows the shorter the pistons get, because there is less to grip in the machine and still have any clearance to drill/mill/finish mill the ports in the piston.  The windows can get shorter.  This is probably where something like a Government order could create a custom piston of the dimensions a customer wanted if they had some purchasing power or the ability to pay more for the parts.  If we made something for them and it had some desirable utility, we would probably over-run for customers.  

When you have to change the characteristics of the part and settup a machine for a specific part that's incurring a lot of cost.  Probably 2-4 hours of code work, 12-24 hours of settup and proveout work that isn't productive in the machine, and that's if it's an adaptation to an existing part.  If it's something really unique things get expensive fast.
View Quote

The Mk23 is the smoothest shooting suppressed pistol I’ve ever fired.  It’s obvious HK designed it for a can.  All three pistols have different attributes that make them the “best” in different ways.  If I was thrown into a “Fallout” environment and needed a pistol that would last forever and didn’t give a single crap about size the Mk23 is the easy choice.  It’s freaking indestructible and would be dropping ghouls long after I’d turn into one.

The Mk24 “system” makes a great SOCOM type sidearm.  It’s designed around suppressor usage but is fairly low impact from a carried gear standpoint.  It gets the job done.  Not as smooth as the Mk23 or as refined as the Tactical but it more than makes up for those differences by being much handier.  Of course part of that reason is the little TiRANT-45s can.  Not even close to hearing safe without water but takes the edge off.  I usually just shoot it with Surefire plugs but have used water or Spectra 360 ultrasound gel.  Shot wet the can is nice and quiet.  I’ll admit to having the image of SEAL dudes water charging the can before taking out a guard....  Imagine how much easier that will be with CAM-LOK.......

The Tactical is a smaller, refined Mk23.  Not as smooth as the Mk23, but the match trigger is a definite improvement along with the adjustable night sights.  You can even conceal carry a USP-Tactical without too much trouble.  I had DM Bullard make me one of their Bodyguard holsters for it with plenty of clearance for the threaded barrel.  Conveniently it clears the CAM-LOK thread adapter as well.  I do carry the Tactical every once and a while.

I don’t even want to try to answer the “you can only have one” question.

Also, I’ll snap a pic of the HK45CT without the can tomorrow and post it up for anyone interested.  I’ll have more goodies in this weekend and hopefully some decent weather so I can hit the range again.

ETA - whacking raccoons at 50 yards with a suppressed, IR laser sighted 45 using NODs is definitely “moons out, goons out”.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:30:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Mk23 is the smoothest shooting suppressed pistol I’ve ever fired.  It’s obvious HK designed it for a can.  All three pistols have different attributes that make them the “best” in different ways.  If I was thrown into a “Fallout” environment and needed a pistol that would last forever and didn’t give a single crap about size the Mk23 is the easy choice.  It’s freaking indestructible and would be dropping ghouls long after I’d turn into one.

The Mk24 “system” makes a great SOCOM type sidearm.  It’s designed around suppressor usage but is fairly low impact from a carried gear standpoint.  It gets the job done.  Not as smooth as the Mk23 or as refined as the Tactical but it more than makes up for those differences by being much handier.  Of course part of that reason is the little TiRANT-45s can.  Not even close to hearing safe without water but takes the edge off.  I usually just shoot it with Surefire plugs but have used water or Spectra 360 ultrasound gel.  Shot wet the can is nice and quiet.  I’ll admit to having the image of SEAL dudes water charging the can before taking out a guard....  Imagine how much easier that will be with CAM-LOK.......

The Tactical is a smaller, refined Mk23.  Not as smooth as the Mk23, but the match trigger is a definite improvement along with the adjustable night sights.  You can even conceal carry a USP-Tactical without too much trouble.  I had DM Bullard make me one of their Bodyguard holsters for it with plenty of clearance for the threaded barrel.  Conveniently it clears the CAM-LOK thread adapter as well.  I do carry the Tactical every once and a while.

Also, I’ll snap a pic of the HK45CT without the can tomorrow and post it up for anyone interested.  I’ll have more goodies in this weekend and hopefully some decent weather so I can hit the range again.

ETA - whacking raccoons at 50 yards with a suppressed, IR laser sighted 45 using NODs is definitely “moons out, goons out”.
View Quote

USP Tactical is my favorite. MK23 is good silenced because of the weight and length. Tames the recoil. Only thing that the HK45CT has going is that it's a little smaller than USP
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:35:08 AM EDT
[#12]
On Joe Bob Outfitters site it says they have the 13.5x1 LH adapters in stock.  Do they have the new version already?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

USP Tactical is my favorite. MK23 is good silenced because of the weight and length. Tames the recoil. Only thing that the HK45CT has going is that it's a little smaller than USP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all got me lost on the Youtube black hole of watching Mk23 videos. Sorta want...
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On Joe Bob Outfitters site it says they have the 13.5x1 LH adapters in stock.  Do they have the new version already?
View Quote

Very highly doubtful it's the new stuff.  

Apparently they didn't get the memo - somebody should engage JoeBob CS and forward them Griffin's official announcement on that part.  They should be pulled from inventory.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Those dimensions are within .0005" of a Griffin Armament universal piston with the exception of the 9 teeth on the piston face and the length dimensions that are probably less critical.  The .200 tooth length is .125" on a Griffin piston.  Depending on how those interact with the assembly you might be able to get away with a Griffin piston.  Some boosters use a allen screw to index the piston.  That for example would probably be compatible.  I think our springs are for sale, you might be able to overcome the tooth length difference by using our spring.
View Quote
That sounds like it will work.  I have an end cap(rust red) with a booster retainer threaded into it.  Sounds like I could make a new booster retainer and make up the length difference, then just put a new dowel in the end cap to index on the GA booster.  Highlighted below.  Thank you!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Y'all got me lost on the Youtube black hole of watching Mk23 videos. Sorta want...
View Quote

I’m running out of practical holes to fill in my collection
A mk23 would be sweet
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have the replacement M13.5 parts already, came in a few days ago.  All old stock was trashed.
View Quote

Nice - thanks for the update.  If I bought from JoeBob and others, I'd probably still verify...
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We have the replacement M13.5 parts already, came in a few days ago.  All old stock was trashed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently they didn't get the memo - somebody should engage JoeBob CS and forward them Griffin's official announcement on that part.  They should be pulled from inventory.

Awesome and order placed
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’m running out of practical holes to fill in my collection
A mk23 would be sweet
View Quote

Dude, they are awesome.  Just do it.  Or, get a Tactical......  See my avatar.......
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well shit, those were from an order placed the day before the recall.  Sorry about that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well shit, those were from an order placed the day before the recall.  Sorry about that!

And canceled.  Lol.    Was impressed with the fast service
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dude, they are awesome.  Just do it.  Or, get a Tactical......  See my avatar.......
View Quote

I’ve had a few USPs
If I go HK again it will be a Mk23
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#25]
As requested here’s a barrel length comparison picture.

USP45c with factory threaded barrel on top, HK45CT with Griffin thread adapter on the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

USP45c with factory threaded barrel on top, HK45CT with Griffin thread adapter on the bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/J4ytviO.jpg
View Quote

Cool, thanks. I’ve been contemplating the setup for my 1911 Tacops. Problem is my black rhino holster is closed so I was worried the camlok mount wouldn’t fit. After eyeballing it, I think it will. I rather not have to dremel the holster, I guess I’ll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/J4ytviO.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Got a chance to try out the system on my CZ SP01 and P09 today and I’m impressed.  200 rounds through each pistol and my Obsidian 9 remained tight.  This system rocks and now I want to buy adapters for all my pistols.  I’m hoping you reconsider making thread protectors because I really don’t want to run comps on all my pistols.

Any chance you’ll make a system for rimfire cans?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got a chance to try out the system on my CZ SP01 and P09 today and I’m impressed.  200 rounds through each pistol and my Obsidian 9 remained tight.  This system rocks and now I want to buy adapters for all my pistols.  I’m hoping you reconsider making thread protectors because I really don’t want to run comps on all my pistols.

Any chance you’ll make a system for rimfire cans?
View Quote

Just showed it to my friend today. He seemed impressed. "It really is that simple!"

I wish Griffin would bring back their Checkmate QD kit. I have a .22 can that it will fit and would LOVE to use it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I’ve been thinking about getting the Gemtech rimfire QDA system but if Griffin comes out with a rimfire CAM-LOK system I can wait.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#31]
@Green0 - any plans for a thread protector for the barrel adapters?
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#32]
I could easily drop $1K for pistons and mounts, but my Osprey really likes to participate in playing music hosts with the other suppressors which means no matter what I will still have to be swapping out parts.

Going to chill on the sidelines for a while and continue reading the reviews as they roll in and monitor the boards for progress on the Osprey piston.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll just go ahead and ask a stupid question to get it out of the way....can the slide be removed for cleaning with the adapter on the barrel or does it have to be removed each time you want to break the gun apart for cleaning?  I can't really tell from the pics and I looked but didn't see anyone else mention this.

(sure I missed it somewhere)
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'll just go ahead and ask a stupid question to get it out of the way....can the slide be removed for cleaning with the adapter on the barrel or does it have to be removed each time you want to break the gun apart for cleaning?  I can't really tell from the pics and I looked but didn't see anyone else mention this.

(sure I missed it somewhere)
View Quote

Take-down requires removal of the barrel adapter.  Bore Snakes FTW!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Take-down requires removal of the barrel adapter.  Bore Snakes FTW!
View Quote

To remove the barrel from the gun you are correct.  However depending on the platform you can remove the slide and perform most preventative maintenance tasks without removing the thread adapter.  I am also a big fan of bore snakes.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Busy day today, just wanted to say we shipped the recall replacement 13.5X1 LH barrel adapters this afternoon.   We also successfully tested the Osprey pistons internally, and are manufacturing SRD pistons currently.
View Quote

13.5x1 are now back in stock at Griffin
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You missed the more important part of his post:

Quoted:
We also successfully tested the Osprey pistons internally

They came out with CAM-LOK and said "We aren't making an Osprey piston" their consumer base said "Aww man... that stinks. I'd love one!" and they listened. How many times do you see that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They came out with CAM-LOK and said "We aren't making an Osprey piston" their consumer base said "Aww man... that stinks. I'd love one!" and they listened. How many times do you see that?
View Quote

Yes that too.   It’s listed on the site now
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s pretty freaking awesome!
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

But can it happen twice though, in one thread... cough, cough... CAM-LOK... Checkmate... cough, cough.

I know, wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They have a 16TPI thread, it's behind the muzzle, smaller in diameter than the slide, pretty durable, kind of tough to damage, I don't think they need a thread protector.  We didn't have a plan to offer one.  I think offering one also tells people things like "these are damage prone" which isn't true.  Granted we could always do it if we get slow for the sake of peace of mind for people who probably don't need the part but might like one anyway.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Green0 - any plans for a thread protector for the barrel adapters?

They have a 16TPI thread, it's behind the muzzle, smaller in diameter than the slide, pretty durable, kind of tough to damage, I don't think they need a thread protector.  We didn't have a plan to offer one.  I think offering one also tells people things like "these are damage prone" which isn't true.  Granted we could always do it if we get slow for the sake of peace of mind for people who probably don't need the part but might like one anyway.  

I don't think I'm going crazy, but swore I saw a mini comp that attaches by Cam-Lok?

ETA: Not crazy but didn't remember correctly:  https://www.griffinarmament.com/micro-carry-comp-1-2x28/
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I like the idea of the adapter that screws into 1/2x28 or 5/8X24 and converts existing silencers like a Checkmate QD thread mount or a Resistance 22lr to cam-lok.  That helps keep the Resistance .22lr which has an aluminum rear mount with O-ring protection of the threads from fouling, lightweight for example, by not replacing a large aluminum component with one that is stainless steel.  

View Quote

Hmm, what would be really cool if you do end up doing .22 adapters would be to make some that fit the .22 pistols that already use an adapter to attach 1/2x28 threads, like the Walther P22 and PPK/S, so it would almost be like having native Cam-lok with those guns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

On the rimfire stuff the issue right now is that we have 5-6 jobs lined up for every machine on the floor, and we have to keep something that sells out of stock to put something new in a machine and that's not good for anybody.  I think we will probably do some adapters I like the idea, but we have to get back to some badly needed stuff for maybe 6-8 weeks here.  I like the idea of the adapter that screws into 1/2x28 or 5/8X24 and converts existing silencers like a Checkmate QD thread mount or a Resistance 22lr to cam-lok.  That helps keep the Resistance .22lr which has an aluminum rear mount with O-ring protection of the threads from fouling, lightweight for example, by not replacing a large aluminum component with one that is stainless steel.  

View Quote

I didn't think the CAM-LOK barrel adapters "needed" a thread protector, I just kind of like the look when cans aren't attached.

Also- is the Checkmate QD Upgrade Kit ever coming back? Any ideas where a guy could get one? I'd give a kidney for one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I’m looking forward to the brake(s).
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’m looking forward to the brake(s).
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I didn't think the CAM-LOK barrel adapters "needed" a thread protector, I just kind of like the look when cans aren't attached.

Also- is the Checkmate QD Upgrade Kit ever coming back? Any ideas where a guy could get one? I'd give a kidney for one.
View Quote

What’s the going rate for a kidney???
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What’s the going rate for a kidney???
View Quote

Hopefully 1 Checkmate QD kit?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top