Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We're going to issue a recall of the 13.5X1LH barrel adaptors via email addresses on existing orders to all our direct consumer and business customers.  The product is de-listed until we can replace it with the longer better metric supporting model. The recall won't require return shipping of a part from anyone who bought it from us direct, we'll just be sending replacement parts to those people.  The people that purchased from dealers will have to contact us for an RMA.  We're going to contact dealers this morning to tell them to cease sales of the 13x1LH adapters for the interim period until we can replace the inventory they have in 2-3 weeks.  We appreciate the quick notification of the customer here, that was very helpful.  

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.  

When designing the 13.5x1LH part we really wanted to keep the 9mm family short style, and we were looking at in CAD a model with .020" wall stock at the forward O-ring groove.  That wasn't a comfortable place to be, but we thought it would work out and we shot and tested examples of it successfully to the recommended 20FT lb setting which we are not suggesting be changed for any of these products or the revised part comming.  FEA suggested that would take ~36ft lbs of torque.  In testing this morning that part yielded and broke at 23ft lbs, and that showed ~.012 wall on that O-ring groove, and the reason for that is probably revisions to remove thread over-cutting and to fit the O-ring groove. That failure was shear separation of the forward half of the part due to the 3600lbs of force created by the 23 ft lbs of torque.

We tested all the other models (16X1, 578x28, 1/2x28, 14.5x1) to 45ft lbs today without failure- not to be construed as a recommendation of a higher level of torque.  Just to check and ensure they are not dysfunctional parts.  

I can't really underscore how challenging it has been to continue product development this year with 3 times the normal order volumes, and this product is really pushing the limits of what is possible with material strength, and CAD/CAM, and CNC manufacturing tolerances.  We are confident that we can maintain a high level of performance in the field, and this was just an example of how narrow that performance envelope was on that one part of this total system.  Getting that "magic" feeling into a product is unfortunately linked to these types of challenges.  

This is a first recall for us, and we will work to satisfy ever customer rapidly with a solution.
View Quote

You guys are awesome.  I'll say it again - you guys are awesome and your CS is stellar.  I already love your stuff, this just reinforces that love.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry guys. I didn't mean to ruin this for everybody.

That said, I installed my metric .45 ACP adapters today, and they lock on solid.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry guys. I didn't mean to ruin this for everybody.

That said, I installed my metric .45 ACP adapters today, and they lock on solid.
View Quote

I think you've helped catch it sooner than later. Props to GA for their response to it too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We're going to issue a recall of the 13.5X1LH barrel adaptors via email addresses on existing orders to all our direct consumer and business customers.  The product is de-listed until we can replace it with the longer better metric supporting model. The recall won't require return shipping of a part from anyone who bought it from us direct, we'll just be sending replacement parts to those people.  The people that purchased from dealers will have to contact us for an RMA.  We're going to contact dealers this morning to tell them to cease sales of the 13x1LH adapters for the interim period until we can replace the inventory they have in 2-3 weeks.  We appreciate the quick notification of the customer here, that was very helpful.  

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.  

When designing the 13.5x1LH part we really wanted to keep the 9mm family short style, and we were looking at in CAD a model with .020" wall stock at the forward O-ring groove.  That wasn't a comfortable place to be- and that made it far and away the most marginal component of the family, but we thought it would work out and we shot and practically tested examples of it successfully to the recommended 20FT lb setting which we are not suggesting be changed for any of these products or the revised part comming.  CAD FEA suggested that would take ~36ft lbs of torque.  In testing this morning that part yielded and broke at 23ft lbs, and that showed ~.012 wall on that O-ring groove, and the reason for that is probably revisions to remove thread over-cutting and to fit the O-ring groove. That failure was shear separation of the forward half of the part due to the 3600lbs of force created by the 23 ft lbs of torque.

We tested all the other models (16X1, 578x28, 1/2x28, 14.5x1) to 45ft lbs today without failure- not to be construed as a recommendation of a higher level of torque.  Just to check and ensure they are not dysfunctional parts.  

I can't really underscore how challenging it has been to continue product development this year with 3 times the normal order volumes, and this product is really pushing the limits of what is possible with material strength, and CAD/CAM, and CNC manufacturing tolerances.  We are confident that we can maintain a high level of performance in the field, and this was just an example of how narrow that performance envelope was on that one part of this total system.  Getting that "magic" feeling into a product is unfortunately linked to these types of challenges.  

This is a first recall for us, and we will work to satisfy ever customer rapidly with a solution.
View Quote

That’s the stuff that makes you want to buy from Griffin.
+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think you've helped catch it sooner than later. Props to GA for their response to it too.
View Quote

Yes, and to be honest I am glad it wasn't me doing something wrong. Install instructions said to go to minimum of 20, I shot for 25, something broke (thought it was my VP9 at first! Scared me!) So figured I either read wrong and it was a lesser value, or my wrench was off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the email this morning as I ordered two 13.5x1 LH mounts. Having not shot yet, I hadn't actually got to the point of torquing them down fully. I just hand seated mine to test the system with my new Obsidian. Good on you guys for your quick response to this problem. My defective mounts are already in the bin and I look forward to getting the new ones. Only drawback is I'll have to go old school at the range next weekend...
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s the stuff that makes you want to buy from Griffin.
+1
View Quote

Definitely. Cool product, excellent issue handling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It sucks that there is an issue but problems happen.  How you deal with them is what’s important.  Well played.  I’ll admit to being glad I’ve only purchased 45acp adapters yet though......
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Watched a few videos, and now I've got a Cam-Lok piston and 1/2x28 adapter on the way for my Obsidian. It really looks like it should minimize most of the annoying parts of suppressed pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 1:10:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Watched a few videos, and now I've got a Cam-Lok piston and 1/2x28 adapter on the way for my Obsidian. It really looks like it should minimize most of the annoying parts of suppressed pistol shooting.
View Quote

The only "issue" I see, is that the CAM-LOK locks up SO well, a few of my tubes wanted to unscrew from the booster assembly, so I had to snug them down a bit extra, when re-assembling my silencers after installing the Griffin CAM-LOK piston. But I see that as a GOOD thing!

Also, I am blown away with how Griffin is handling this. Definitely consider them next time I am in the market for a silencer. The level they've gone to for a $60 barrel adapter, makes me feel warm and fuzzy about a $900 silencer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We made the first 13.5X1LH barrel adaptor of the new design, and torque tested it to 45 ft lbs successfully on a VP9 barrel.  That torque is not recommended for the pistol barrel or the adapter, and we didn't test for geometrical yield at 45ft/lbs, just for no failure.  There was some slight deformation of the wrench flats at the corners from taking it up there with the socket wrench.  They have begun manufacturing them on second shift tonight.

We also made the first Osprey slotted universal piston.  With the slots are cut over the internal threads where there is more material.  We ran a pre-heat treat sample of it through some practical testing in a 9mm Octane with S&W M&P 2.0 in 9mm, and it did not fail.  The area that is made more thin by the slots isn't exposed to pressure because it is behind the sealing taper, it is only exposed to radial force at the thread, so it holding up made sense and conformed to the theory that got us to the point of wanting to attempt it.  

We don't have an Osprey here.  We're going to get one in to do more testing with an Osprey.
View Quote

I’d be more than happy to test the crap out of it.  Osprey 45 here.  That’s all I’m saying.............,
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We made the first 13.5X1LH barrel adaptor of the new design, and torque tested it to 45 ft lbs successfully on a VP9 barrel.  That torque is not recommended for the pistol barrel or the adapter, and we didn't test for geometrical yield at 45ft/lbs, just for no failure.  There was some slight deformation of the wrench flats at the corners from taking it up there with the socket wrench.  They have begun manufacturing them on second shift tonight.

We also made the first Osprey slotted universal piston.  With the slots are cut over the internal threads where there is more material.  We ran a pre-heat treat sample of it through some practical testing in a 9mm Octane with S&W M&P 2.0 in 9mm, and it did not fail.  The area that is made more thin by the slots isn't exposed to pressure because it is behind the sealing taper, it is only exposed to radial force at the thread, so it holding up made sense and conformed to the theory that got us to the point of wanting to attempt it.  

We don't have an Osprey here.  We're going to get one in to do more testing with an Osprey.
View Quote

Man you guys are awesome. I would love to test an Osprey piston for you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell I'll drive over there with mine to help test.  

Very impressed with Griffin's attention to detail for customer's sake.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a second set of a thread adapter and piston in today from Hansohn Brothers.  16mm LH again and this time a Ghost piston.  I have a observation on how this set and the last set (16mm LH and AAC 45) fit together.  The last set had a little “hitch” when I’d drop the can/piston onto the thread adapter and twist it on.  This set is far more pronounced.  I have to lift the can off the thread adapter just a little bit before I can twist it at all.  It still locks up tight.  I wonder if possibly a little more chamfer on the beginning of the threads would help overcome this?  The AAC/16mm has gotten better with a couple “on-off” cycles so I assume I’ve “knocked the edges off” a little bit with wear.  This set might get better with wear as well.  I have not mixed them up yet but will later this afternoon.

Also, as stated, this is an observation not a complaint.

ETA - and dead serious about being willing to test the Osprey piston........
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ETA - and dead serious about being willing to test the Osprey piston........
View Quote

Keep your hands off my Osprey piston!

That said- I tried my 2 Dead Air pistons, 3 SilencerCo, and 1 AAC piston and none of them experienced the "hitch" or needing to lift up you have described.

So far, this CAM-LOK looks like the next "Omega thread pitch" to me. OMEGA thread for rifle cans, CAM-LOK pistons for pistol cans.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Gopher, by the rules of shotgun or dibs I very clearly am first in line.  

So, further testing this evening the “hitch” and needing to lift follows the pistons.  The AAC has the “hitch” on either M16 LH thread adapter and I have to lift the Ghost piston on either as well.  Again, no huge deal but on the Ghost I cannot just slip the piston on and twist.  I have to lift it away from the taper/shoulder then twist.  It will not turn without lifting.  The AAC will turn but I have to torque it a little bit.  You can clearly feel that the threads are catching on each other.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Gopher, by the rules of shotgun or dibs I very clearly am first in line.  

So, further testing this evening the “hitch” and needing to lift follows the pistons.  The AAC has the “hitch” on either M16 LH thread adapter and I have to lift the Ghost piston on either as well.  Again, no huge deal but on the Ghost I cannot just slip the piston on and twist.  I have to lift it away from the taper/shoulder then twist.  It will not turn without lifting.  The AAC will turn but I have to torque it a little bit.  You can clearly feel that the threads are catching on each other.
View Quote

I am going to go try all mine today. Does this "hitch" slow down your attachment time at all?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The easy way to mount it is dump it to the stop, rotate into resistance, maintain rotary resistance and pull away and the threads will mesh as they move into contact, rotating into tight connection.

There is about .013 of z motion across the entire thread lug,  and we wanted to center thread purchase so we are trying to use about .003 of that range which seems to be about ~+-.0002 on diameters of the taper of the barrel adapter.

To get it to turn in consistently without turning and pulling away, we probably would have had to increase helix by 30-50% and at that point it probably wouldn’t be able to be cut with the tool (running out of relief to support the angle / promoting insert failure), or at least would violate the thread form and begin to compromise the thread.  When you violate form, the thread will become very sensitive to slight changes in cut diameter.  Additionally, a greater helix would reduce mounting security which is currently about perfect.  Too fine- it will bind up and be far too secure, too coarse and there will not be any mounting security as pressure or force will want to translate into rotary motion and hand torque to get similar taper load with that reduced mechanical advantage with double helix would need to double.

The larger pitch thread profile we used (supporting more helix angle) the more diameter the thread consumed in the application.  So the problem we obviously ran into with the 13.5x1lh, would have impacted and removed the ability to support the flush mounted 1/2x28 on the next larger thread profile.

A large profile is a blessing and a curse because more coarse is more durable and eats more diameter in the application.  It becomes like silencer design where weight is Somewhat connected to short sprint durability, but weight is also negative attribute mass to carry around and less efficiently cooled with the same amount of surface area due to lower gradient at lower temperatures and greater stored energy at higher temperatures, making it more likely to promote a bright thermal signature or hold heat for a longer period of time causing things like having to wait a long time to leave a gun range safely.
View Quote

Your installation description meshes exactly with what I’m seeing and your description makes sense.  With practice I’m getting quicker and I really like how the can “pulls tight”.  I’m heading out to the range here in a bit to shoot both cans and see if the POA/POI shift is different from when they were just thread/piston mount.

ETA - just back from the range.  I am very impressed with how well this system works.  100 rounds each through the HK45CT/AAC TiRANT-45s and USP45T/Ghost.  Neither can got loose at all.  Also, the POA/POI stayed consistent from where the combos shot with the conventional piston/thread setup.  Zero stoppages and I was using crap Russian steel case.

The threads on the adapter and the piston stayed clean.  They look just like they did before shooting.  I can’t really comment on accuracy as I had a wipe in the Ghost (that is now trashed with 100+ rounds of 45 through it).  The Mk24 combo shot as well as it did before.  I didn’t notice any real difference in accuracy.

This system completely changes suppressed pistol shooting.  You can now just shoot and not worry about your can backing off.  It brings consistency and practicality to suppressed pistols.  Griffin, if you haven’t spoken with someone at SOCOM, you should.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your installation description meshes exactly with what I’m seeing and your description makes sense.  With practice I’m getting quicker and I really like how the can “pulls tight”.  I’m heading out to the range here in a bit to shoot both cans and see if the POA/POI shift is different from when they were just thread/piston mount.

ETA - just back from the range.  I am very impressed with how well this system works.  100 rounds each through the HK45CT/AAC TiRANT-45s and USP45T/Ghost.  Neither can got loose at all.  Also, the POA/POI stayed consistent from where the combos shot with the conventional piston/thread setup.  Zero stoppages and I was using crap Russian steel case.

The threads on the adapter and the piston stayed clean.  They look just like they did before shooting.  I can’t really comment on accuracy as I had a wipe in the Ghost (that is now trashed with 100+ rounds of 45 through it).  The Mk24 combo shot as well as it did before.  I didn’t notice any real difference in accuracy.

This system completely changes suppressed pistol shooting.  You can now just shoot and not worry about your can backing off.  It brings consistency and practicality to suppressed pistols.  Griffin, if you haven’t spoken with someone at SOCOM, you should.

https://i.imgur.com/RivHonW.jpg
View Quote

Your selection of silencers and pistols is great. We can be friends.

I tried mounting all my cans on my 3 HK pistols today, and I didn't experience the "hitch" we talked about earlier- maybe you're just getting more comfortable with installing? I agree with you on how it changes pistol shooting, just me putting it on by hand, they are on pretty damn tight. I used to not want to shoot my pistols because of LH threads to the barrel, with RH threads on the silencer tube. But now, thanks to CAM-LOK, I will probably be more apt to shoot my silenced pistols.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Your selection of silencers and pistols is great. We can be friends.

I tried mounting all my cans on my 3 HK pistols today, and I didn't experience the "hitch" we talked about earlier- maybe you're just getting more comfortable with installing? I agree with you on how it changes pistol shooting, just me putting it on by hand, they are on pretty damn tight. I used to not want to shoot my pistols because of LH threads to the barrel, with RH threads on the silencer tube. But now, thanks to CAM-LOK, I will probably be more apt to shoot my silenced pistols.
View Quote

I’m a hardcore HK junkie......  We’ll have to be internet friends because you’re clear across the darn country!  I’m picking up a 16mm RH adapter this week for my Mk23 as well as some Silencerco pistons for my Octanes.  Gotta get some adapters for my 1911’s and eventually an Osprey piston when they are available.  Damn you Griffin for making me spend money!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m a hardcore HK junkie......  We’ll have to be internet friends because you’re clear across the darn country!  I’m picking up a 16mm RH adapter this week for my Mk23 as well as some Silencerco pistons for my Octanes.  Gotta get some adapters for my 1911’s and eventually an Osprey piston when they are available.  Damn you Griffin for making me spend money!
View Quote

My MK23 has a RCM barrel in it that's threaded M16x1LH, originally purchased to allow me to swap my 45cal cans around from USPs HK45s and MK23, but now with Griffin's CAM-LOK I don't have that issue. Keep the factory barrel nice and new I suppose.

I am praying for Osprey piston, because currently I had my UMP setup with Griffin's .45ACP 3-lug adapter, that also fits the Omega45 from SilencerCo, so all my PCCs were 3-lug and had dedicated cans, but I was going to put the Osprey back on the UMP since it wasn't CAM-LOK compatible. I would much prefer to leave the OMEGA on the UMP and put Osprey with pistols, since it kind of has similar tombstone shape to the USPs and MK23.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I requested and received a response for a return. If an Osprey piston might likely be available for regular production in the near future I will hang on to what I have. Specifically referring to the CAM-Lok barrel adapter in anticipation of a slotted Osprey piston. Can I forego the return and just arrange an even exchange when an Osprey becomes available? It appears there are at least half a dozen of us in here that are participating in this thread that are eagerly awaiting one.

We greatly appreciate you hearing us and giving it a shot. It shows us you listen to your consumers and are willing to try something new (as if this concept wasn't already proof enough). Thanks again for what y'all are doing.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My MK23 has a RCM barrel in it that's threaded M16x1LH, originally purchased to allow me to swap my 45cal cans around from USPs HK45s and MK23, but now with Griffin's CAM-LOK I don't have that issue. Keep the factory barrel nice and new I suppose.

I am praying for Osprey piston, because currently I had my UMP setup with Griffin's .45ACP 3-lug adapter, that also fits the Omega45 from SilencerCo, so all my PCCs were 3-lug and had dedicated cans, but I was going to put the Osprey back on the UMP since it wasn't CAM-LOK compatible. I would much prefer to leave the OMEGA on the UMP and put Osprey with pistols, since it kind of has similar tombstone shape to the USPs and MK23.
View Quote

That would be amazing! I want to see pics! You are so right. The Osprey pairs perfect with the USP / MK23 due to the shape. Even though Snake used a cylindrical can (maybe a Knights) with a big square LAM. My Osprey on my M&P 45 w/ a Viridian C5L still gives me MGS vibes. The X5L on an MK23 might actually be PERFECT!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
@Green0

Different aftermarket threaded barrels have a variety of lengths protruding in front of the slide nose.

Is there a minimum needed/recommended gap between the barrel shoulder where the threads start and front of the slide face for the barrel adapter when the slide is resting in battery?  

Does this work with “short cut” Bear Creek Arsenal barrels? (AIM Surplus, and many others seem to be shorter than Lone Wolf and other ‘premium’ after market threaded barrels).
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Even though Snake used a cylindrical can (maybe a Knights) with a big square LAM.
View Quote

you mean like this?

I wont pay what they want for the LAM though. I love HK but some stuff even too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/20180805_115919-630719.jpg

you mean like this?

I wont pay what they want for the LAM though. I love HK but some stuff even too rich for my blood.
View Quote

That’s hot
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That’s hot
View Quote

Maybe Austin will make me a CAM-LOK piston for Knight's suppressors? Since spares from KAC are $600?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe Austin will make me a CAM-LOK piston for Knight's suppressors? Since spares from KAC are $600?
View Quote

I almost spit out my beer
That’s insane
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I almost spit out my beer
That’s insane
View Quote

Link $625 + shipping. So I was a little low.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I’ve always held off on KAC cans due to practicality and now surprisingly that’s looking like the smart play.  I LOVE my Osprey on my Mk23.  It just fits athletically and it shoots great.  The Mk23/Osprey setup makes me look like a better shooter than I am.  I am waiting with baited breath on an Osprey CAM-LOK piston as that will just make it that much better.

Damnit, I have a GG&G Mk23 rail and an extra X5L laying around.  Never thought about putting the X5L on the Mk23.  That plus CAM-LOK Osprey would make me very happy.......

ETA - and Gopher, I’m also a Fallout fan......
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I’ve always held off on KAC cans due to practicality and now surprisingly that’s looking like the smart play.  I LOVE my Osprey on my Mk23.  It just fits athletically and it shoots great.  The Mk23/Osprey setup makes me look like a better shooter than I am.  I am waiting with baited breath on an Osprey CAM-LOK piston as that will just make it that much better.

Damnit, I have a GG&G Mk23 rail and an extra X5L laying around.  Never thought about putting the X5L on the Mk23.  That plus CAM-LOK Osprey would make me very happy.......

ETA - and Gopher, I’m also a Fallout fan......
View Quote

Well I guess this bromance is off to a good start...

My KAC can was $700 on closeout. Its a USP-45T. I didnt know the boosters arent the same. It makes my MK23 into a single-shot. But it looks cool in photos :) My USP-45 Tactical isnt getting a CAM-LOK barrel adapter, and it will just be dedicated with the KAC can. MK23 can use the Ti-Rant, Ghost.. and maybe some day the Osprey.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well I guess this bromance is off to a good start...

My KAC can was $700 on closeout. Its a USP-45T. I didnt know the boosters arent the same. It makes my MK23 into a single-shot. But it looks cool in photos :) My USP-45 Tactical isnt getting a CAM-LOK barrel adapter, and it will just be dedicated with the KAC can. MK23 can use the Ti-Rant, Ghost.. and maybe some day the Osprey.
View Quote

If I had a KAC can for the USP-T I probably would keep it that way as well but it is pretty sweet with the CAM-LOK.  Ive had my Mk23 for a long time.  When I bought it I picked up an unboosted AAC Tactical with it.  Still have it cause what the hell else would I do with it...  It cycles about 90% as it’s pretty light.  Loud though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I envy your HK collection.  The HK45CT looks like an answer to most of the things unlikable about the MK23- the lack of a standard rail, the lack of night sights, and when carried, the size of the MK23.
View Quote

... did somebody say HK collection?!

I really do need to do an updated photo. Now the MR762, MR556 and P2000 9mm are gone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#41]
That’s sweet. A wood stocked SL6 or SL7 would be like a cherry on top
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

... did somebody say HK collection?!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/HK_Family_Photo_2017-352086.jpg

I really do need to do an updated photo. Now the MR762, MR556 and P2000 9mm are gone.
View Quote

Damn son!  My H&K collection is mostly pistols with a couple “MP5’s” in the mix.  Used to have a couple Flemming sears.  One was in a Volmer SP89 conversion to an MP5K.  Other was in a Volmer HK51.  The 51 was fun....

Got out of the full auto game about 15 years ago.

On the pistol side I’ve got the Mk23, a USP45 Tactical, HK45CT, USP45C stainless with HK threaded barrel and Heinie suppressor sights, VP9 Tac with Heinie suppressor sights, and a P30SC.  I used to have a USP9SD and P7M8.  I stupidly sold them years ago.

I know this sounds less “tactical” but I love how I can just grab a pistol and a can now and not have to mess with anything to mount the can.  No more swapping pistons around.  Just grab and go to the range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a MK23 also.  I would kind of like to get one of the Surefire discontinued style MK23 rails from the HKpro group buy but I haven't logged in there for a long time.   I don't understand why the rail has to be manufactured to order on a second or third run.  If I was manufacturing that rail, we would just keep it in stock for people to buy when they wanted it.  The current group buy is at 30 so maybe in like 6 months they will run the rail.

It's kind of a shame HK had to be different with the rail, and also that no one produced any consumer LAM units or even lasers for it.  I think a Steiner TOR mini in red would be a cool addition- offering a red laser answer to not having night sights and the red laser could also be used with night vision.  When I was in high school I bought a Wilcox LAM unit for like $799 when I didn't own a MK23 to put it on.  I sold it later on the EE, for something like $750.  I once mentioned LAM units to Wilcox at Shot show a couple years back and they kind of laughed and said that was like 30 years ago.  I felt like Wilcox could make the original unit and probably sell them pretty well if the price was even remotely reasonable like sub $1400.  Maybe the reality is that nothing Wilcox makes is capable of being price competitive on the consumer market.  I have a RAPTAR and its Achilles heel is that it doesn't really hold a zero because they use this one screw picatinny interface that just pulls the plastic housing down on top of the rail.    

A RAPTAR that held zero would be pretty awesome, because electronically the raptar is pretty sweet.   I'm having bad luck with lasers currently.  My home defense primary MK1 has a CQBL which is a pretty sweet laser in that it retains zero, and keeps a low profile, and it just spontaneously stopped working- like totally mint condition- I went to check it after it had been sitting in the corner for a while selector on vis, button activated to off, and nothing.  I took the working 3V out of the Surefire and put it in the CQBL and no dice, so I had to grab a spare CQBL for now while I figure out how Steiner's warranty works.  It's pretty important for the laser to fire when the button is pressed.  That's the point of the system.
View Quote

I used to have a civilian Wilcox LAM.  It was visible only and STUPIDLY expensive.  Looked exactly like the IR version.  I don’t remember why I sold it but I did.  It was of course early tech and the light sucked compared to today’s lights.  Looked cool though......

I keep thinking about one of the Steiner IR pistol lasers for the Mk23.  It’s such a great gun to shoot, just huge!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I know this sounds less “tactical” but I love how I can just grab a pistol and a can now and not have to mess with anything to mount the can.  No more swapping pistons around.  Just grab and go to the range.
View Quote

I love (and hate) that I really dont need my tactical tacklebox anymore... Only issue with CAM-LOK is verify I dont put a 9mm on a 45. Other than that, like you said it's "grab-n-go"

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@Gopherboy128 - Do you still use that SiCo Y-Mount?

I ditched mine for the much lighter and shorter YHM versions...
View Quote

I am keeping it, paid $90 for it back when Saker was new, I thought maybe it was a mistake, but ordered it and sure as shit it showed up. Most shops were charging like $200 for the various modular mounts back then. For my Saker 556 and Saker 556 ASR, I just got my YHM versions in yesterday. And my two AAC cans from ECCO will use the YHM Kurz adapters.

I have finally seen your light Big Waylon and I am joining you on the YHM side of the fence. all my 5.56 rifles will use YHM 556.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Mine was the military version with the IR and vis lasers.  They used to be on the market for like $750 and people just started flipping them again and again for more till going price was in the 2-4K range.  Now you'd worry what if it just stops working after spending that kind of money on one.  

I'd like to pick up a 45CT with night sights.  That looks like a good gun.  Agreed the MK23 is a really nice shooting pistol.  If I had the MK23 when I had the laser I probably would not have sold it.  The MK23's were going through a period where they were like $2000 at the time.  
View Quote

The Mk24 seems like it hits all the right notes for a tactical suppressed pistol.  Definitely an evolved Mk23 system.  I’ll admit to the USP Tactical being a nicer, more accurate gun to shoot but the Mk24 is just a nice package.  Mine’s got the factory night sights.  Really wish HK would have gone with a match trigger like the Tactical though.  That would have kicked it over the edge.  The CAM-LOK with the AAC 45s can and the HK45CT makes one sweet setup.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:20:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Mk24 seems like it hits all the right notes for a tactical suppressed pistol.  Definitely an evolved Mk23 system.  I’ll admit to the USP Tactical being a nicer, more accurate gun to shoot but the Mk24 is just a nice package.  Mine’s got the factory night sights.  Really wish HK would have gone with a match trigger like the Tactical though.  That would have kicked it over the edge.  The CAM-LOK with the AAC 45s can and the HK45CT makes one sweet setup.
View Quote

Agreed. Wish I had a Tirant-M but even being full size still seems "correct"
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:46:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/RivHonW.jpg
View Quote

How much length does the adapter add to the HK45CT barrel?  Can you post a pic?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top